Anyone have this problem?

8 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:08 AM

I have a 00 xr650r with a baja designs kit. My problem is from rough terrain and jumps the bulb in the taillight keeps going out. Like 2 a week! Is there a cheaper solution other than a led light? Better bulbs out there?

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:56 AM

Yes, I had the same problem with my BD tail light. The bulb holder in the light isn't that great. I reduced the number of bulb failures by bending (pull it towards you) the tab that contacts the base of the bulb with a pair of needle-nose pliers. That made the tab stay in contact with the base of the bulb a little better and reduced the number bulb failures somewhat.

• XR-rated

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:58 AM

I had the same problem. You can get LED replacement bulbs that fit right in there.

Stand by for link.

http://www.superbrig...brake-turn.html

I think it's the 1157-R24 that you want.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the link. Only one major question. Are the LED lights highly directional? Anyone run one of those LED bulbs like the ones in the link above this post? Is it very bright?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:24 PM

I looked at the site and answered my own question. Standard LED lights are directional. They do make a bulb with the head turned 90 degrees or some flat boards of led lights. Look at their products page. The only thing is the 90 degree bulb is 1.25" wide so it may be a tight fit. What would you do? I am leaning toward the flat LED boards with as many LEDS that will fit in my lens.

• XR-rated

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Well ya. The one listed has a bunch that point out straight back and a ring of some others that go laterally. I've used one for better than two years now and it's brighter than a standard bulb.

Where you at?

I have a spare I'll give you and if you like it, replace it.

• COtrails

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:09 PM

I have a 00 xr650r with a baja designs kit. My problem is from rough terrain and jumps the bulb in the taillight keeps going out. Like 2 a week! Is there a cheaper solution other than a led light? Better bulbs out there?

My bulb pops out when I see your avatar.....giddyup:thumbsup:

• brianhare

Posted June 08, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Well someone may claim BS on this but,,,if you can find them at your closest bike shop, STANLEY makes the best regular style bulb i`ve ever bought,it is made for motorcycle use as the filament is reinforced in the middle so it does not break as easily under vibration and impact...it is OE on most Hondas,,but a lot of dealers buy the cheap automotive type locally so they are hard to find...

B

• cleonard

Posted June 08, 2009 - 09:22 PM

Keep looking around for some and you should find a LED bulb that will fit. There are even some that are a base and a small square circuit board with LED's connected with wires.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.