WR450F vs. CRF450X

18 replies to this topic
  • turbbo

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hi guys, new to Thumper talk. I love this website. Quick question. I just sold my 2004 DRZ400E. Looking at the WR450F & CRF450X. Which one? I live in MI. Ride on trails & open fire roads. Plan on making it street legal like I did my DRZ. I hope it was alright to post here. Thanks for any feed back.

• OneToGo

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:07 AM

Hi guys, new to Thumper talk. I love this website. Looking at the WR450F & CRF450X. Which one? I hope it was alright to post here. Thanks for any feed back.

Welcome to TT. You'll probably get a biased view towards the WR here and vv. in the Honda Forum.

Both bikes have their stronger and weaker areas. I have owned Hondas and Yamahas and really like both. But to be truthful, I think you could be happy with any 06 450 these days.

If you take a close look at the Forums for both, the CRF seems to have more maintenance related issues whereas the WRs have a proven motor that appears to be less maintenance intensive with fewer posts related to such issues - for the most part.
If you read or put any credibility on Bike Magazine tests, they appear to slighly bias towards the CRF and edge out the WR in most areas. So why do people buy the WR? -- good value for money and rock solid reliability come to mind.

If there is not much price difference you will have a tough choice. TEST RIDE both if you possibly can before you lay out your cash.

my .02 worth
:thumbsup:

• Old_Yeller

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:28 AM

Those were the two bikes I was looking at. I went with the WR because of the relibiltiy issues and price. I saved $1400 going with an 05 WR vs. 06 CX.

As good as all the bikes are now either one is a great choice. I would recomend the method my 6yr. daughter uses and pick the one with the best color!

Funny...my buddies bought Hondas and they like my Yamaha better. I bought the WR but like the Hondas handeling better. The grass is always greener, or redder, or bluer...

• dl19

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:49 AM

I have been a Honda dirtbike fan my entire life and have not owned anything else until my latest WR. Sold my 04 XR400 to get a 05WR/Baja kitted. The WR I am sorry to say actually has a much better reliability record then the CRFX currently. I attribute that to the time in development for the WR over the CRFX. The price was cheaper also, and I saved almost 1k over a CRFX. Bottom line for me this time the 1K pushed me to Yamaha. That again is probably supply and demand for the Honda price. I am extremely unhappy with Yamaha on their warranty work or lack of it. I knew buying from the dealer I did I would get shitty service, but that was the only 05 left in my area and I took the risk. So, that one is on me. The WR really does rip and is a good bike for sure. Overall I am happy with my WR, and see it staying for quite a long time. The issues I have had though minor are still better then the issues the CRFX has been having. My problems have been 1, Chain Slapping the sub frame, (I build a SS guard that is working, and both fork seals are weeping after less then 500 miles). I will take that over a bad tranny, seized valves any day.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:08 AM

I too was torn between riding red and riding blue. Its true that you hear more stories of reliability and valve problems with the honda's. However, when you say that to the honda guys, they claim there are no problems that cannot be dealt with.

Yamaha does have significantly more longevity with the wr line. Its older and more mature.

That being said, you can't go wrong with either one. shop for the best deal, new or used.

• odonnks

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Take a look at the March issue of Dirt Bike Magazine, They did a 450 comparason.
I couldn't decide either after the good folks here and the mag articles then talking to a dealer who has both who said he sells more parts for the CFR450 engines than the WR's.
Also, most everyone says that the WR is eaiser to make fast and the Honda is a few hundred $$ more.
Thought I like the AL frame of the Honda, from a performance perspective its just not enough.
If you cannot find the Mar issue of dirt bike, pm me with a email address and I'll send a b&w pdf. Its around 5 meg in size.
For 06 models you'll probably save $300-500 on the WR too. I'll probab get the 08 if it has EFI, it'll surely have the Al frame by 07.
Check these out too.
http://www.motorcycl...?ArticleID=2102

http://dirtrider.com..._yamaha_wr250f/

• pkcof

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:13 PM

all bias aside, i'm sure that in time the Honda has the potential to be as good as (dare i say better than?) the WR. Ride them both and make your own decision after carefully considering what it is that you actually want from your new purchase - you can only take so much advice.
As for my personal opinion, i would (and did) go for the WR and have never looked back once i made all of the free mods, and look forward to many more years on it !!

• MountainMax

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks 4 the links, great reading there.. Im sure you would be happy with either, but if youre like me, Brand loyalty will always win.

• Crapster

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:28 AM

I just got a new 06 wr450. I ended up choosing it over the CRX simply because the CRX is still a first gen and there are always lots of problems to iron out. ie. no-one knows how they are going to last over 3-4 years etc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:22 AM

good plan, this is true for any new rig, there are always issues, small or big..

• minkkinen

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Helou Turbbo!
I'm in Grand Rapids, MI. (are you close???)
Anyways I bought WR 400 -98 new at the time, and It was such an reliable low maintenance bike. Now that they have been making these for so long, and the improvments they made for -05, I did not have any choice, than buying WR.
Good luck

• motoscotty

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hey Turbo ask the honda guys how far the 450x will go with no oil, my wr went 32 miles a little over an hour of riding before it blew up with no oil in it at all thats pretty remarkable I think, the whole thing is junk I am picking up another 1 wed. GOD DAM MARGARRITAS!!

• cksea

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:50 PM

For riding in so cal. and baja which bike can handle the whoops better with out revalving the suspension? The larger tanks look wide on the X because they sit outside the frame. Can you still get foreward?

• Koko Azuela

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:58 AM

For riding in so cal. and baja which bike can handle the whoops better with out revalving the suspension? The larger tanks look wide on the X because they sit outside the frame. Can you still get foreward?

Both bikes would handle the whoops, it just depends on how fast you want to go thru them!! Honda sotck suspension is stiffer than the WR's, if you want to hit baja whoops on 4th gear, you would want to do a re-valve, if not, taking a soil sample for sure!!! :thumbsup:

• elton

Posted April 29, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Back in December, while my 15/yo son's WR450 was in the shop for new tires, the dealer was offering a rebate on the 450x and was pressing him to trade the WR for the 450x. We researched it and found that the 450x:

- requires more maintenance (valve issues).
- is heavier than the WR
- is wider/bulkier (read about people knocking off radiators in the woods).
- the header pipe hangs down and hits stuff (bad design).
- less stock engine protection vs. WR (what's there is plastic).
- No Excel rims.
- Cheesey speedo
- All mag reviews I read said the 450x has less power vs. the WR (before mods) and the 450x had less mod possibilities than the WR -- one calling the 450x a "campground cruiser" :crazy:

His WR450 was low miles, pristine, all "free mods", Yosh TRC Pro Carbon Fiber/JD kit/AIS kit/hand guards/springs/HD tubes/new Pirelli tires -- was a no-brainer to keep the WR -- despite the excellent trade offer. New bikes are fun, but we felt the 450x would be a downgrade.

Elton

• MountainMax

Posted April 29, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Great Information, glad i got the Yammy..... :crazy:

• Nevada Tom

Posted April 29, 2006 - 07:48 PM

2 cents I have an 05 WR 450 and a 06 CRF450R, I know that they are different bikes but here is the bottom line. If you are looking for a great trail bike that you can probably plate that is reliable and steady the WR is the best choice. If you want a bike that will be more of a racer with comp mods the Honda will at the end of the day beat the WR.

The biggest hole in the Honda is it requires more matenence if you dont mind turning a wrench you would probably enjoy more as it is closer to a race bred bike then the WR.

Again mine is an R but I never ride the WR any more in fact I am about to sell it. It has all the free mods, new titanium FMF pipe, quick shot AP, 51 tooth sprocket, oring chain, GPR stabilizer, DH1 tripple clamps and all the guards. It rips just not like the Honda.

WR great bike very reliable VS Honda great bike a little faster more work if you are worried about going fast fast go red. If you want to ride be competive and never have down time wrenching go blue. :crazy:

• elton

Posted April 30, 2006 - 06:23 AM

...If you want a bike that will be more of a racer with comp mods the Honda will at the end of the day beat the WR.

LOL -- You are comparing Honda's 450 mx bike with Yamaha's 450 woods bike; if you want to compare mx bikes, a YZ450 will do just fine against a CRF450.

If you are comparing RFS woods bikes; a WR450 (w/free mods) will walk all over a 450x (w/similar mods).

Elton

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 30, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hey Turbo ask the honda guys how far the 450x will go with no oil, my wr went 32 miles a little over an hour of riding before it blew up with no oil in it at all thats pretty remarkable I think, the whole thing is junk I am picking up another 1 wed. GOD DAM MARGARRITAS!!

Um... don't ask that question. If you do, the will try to sell you an Accord instead of a bike. If you want to try that, you don't need to have a bike.

Just buy a bike. Get the WR, get the X. Just get a bike. They both are great.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.