Is my shock jacked up?

8 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:44 PM

I know very little about suspension. I do know a few things though. Oil oozing from the forks/shock is not a good thing. Here is a pic of what mine looks like.
Posted Image
What is wrong with it and what kind of shop can fix it?

• aford541

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Yep, you might as well have the forks serviced as well.

• David37

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:19 AM

Looks like your shock oil seal is blown and you may have lost some of your nitrogen gas, time to take your shock to a suspension shop for new shock oil seal and oil service. I would also take your forks in for a oil service too.

• kawirider

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I dont think my forks need it because I have seal savers on those

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:16 PM

It is reccomended to service your suspension every 20 hours or the oil becomse contaminated with bushing material and does not work as good.

• NYMXer

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:23 AM

It looks like the oil seal is blown on the shock. Get it rebuilt asap.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 24, 2006 - 04:55 AM

I dont think my forks need it because I have seal savers on those

It is best to service both ends at the same time :thumbsup:

• David37

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:40 PM

The reason why I recommended servicing your forks too, is that the rear shock is going to work much better with fresh oil and the new seals. If you don't service your forks you bike may handle a little weird because your forks are going to be on the soft side and work much differently with worn fork oil verses fresh oil.

• kawirider

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:51 PM

So how do I fix it and what tools do I need? (Assuming I service both ends)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.