Well i got my Bike today

4 replies to this topic
  • xr500_89

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:56 PM

well today i went and picked up my 89 Xr600 plated bike came with a White Bros E2 pipe renthal handle bars, acerbis plactics powder coated frame, only bad thing though is the bike was supposedly needed a top ned rebuild but to my surprise the bike doesnt need a rebuild on anything although i will be putting a bore kit in it, he said there was no power so im thinking its the carb, but anywho i payed 400 for this and endless amounts of spare parts....tell me what you guys think

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 23, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Do a compression and leak down test. If you need rings, the compression test will verify it. The leak down test will tell you if the valves are the problem. You'll probably need to take it to a shop for this. Have you checked to see if the valves are adjusted correctly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr500_89

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:41 PM

im almost certain its the valves cause one of them the edge looks like its melted but i am going to put a 11:1 wiseco piston and rings in it, and i havnt checked anything until i get a gasket set for it because he tore the engine apart, and didnt put in back into the bike so i figure while its out i'll put a hot cam in it, change the valves, as well as change the connecting rods.

• TemeculaTim

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:20 AM

im almost certain its the valves cause one of them the edge looks like its melted but i am going to put a 11:1 wiseco piston and rings in it, and i havnt checked anything until i get a gasket set for it because he tore the engine apart, and didnt put in back into the bike so i figure while its out i'll put a hot cam in it, change the valves, as well as change the connecting rods.

Glad to see that you have dived into it as you said you would. Don't forget to check the timing chain also. It may be out of tolerance. Looking forward to hearing you progress and thanks for helping me clear out some space in my garage.

• xr500_89

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:58 PM

yeah no problem man already got a new timing chain on order, as well as an all black plastics kit, a black baja desings kit, new piston rings and cylinder and plan on having the bike done in a few weeks i'll post before and afterwards pics

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.