Opinions on moving vent tube on '05

6 replies to this topic
  • tony1970

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:18 PM

I am considering moving the engine vent tube to the AIS elbow on the intake boot like some have said they have done on this forum. Before I do this I would like some opinions before I make the move. The positives on moving the tube I see are the tube being moved up higher on the air box, thus not as likely to get water in the engine if I ever get into high water. I see the factory put the tube high on the frame to prevent water from directly to the valve cover, but I guess you can not be too safe. The other positive I see is on the release of back pressure the engine would suck clean filtered air. Now the negative I have thought of and what is keeping me from doing this mod so far is the release of oil fumes into the air boot. This I feel over time could be a problem by coating the inside of the boot and carb with sticky crap. So what do people think, or what have they seen by this mod being performed? Thanks to all. :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:40 AM

I personally wouldn't run the breather vent tube to the airbox for just the reason you noted in your negatives. The tube is in the airbox for enviro/emmisions reasons. Also being at the bottom of the airbox is a bad idea for water getting sucked into the tube. All the WR's in our riding group have the tube routed down the front of the engine to just under the magneto/stator cover. As well as routing it down there we also cut the tube just below the valve cover split line and run a "T eed" vent tube up to the area near the front of the tank by the triple clamps, this prevents a suction being able to build during water crosiings or start ups. Good iddea to do to the 2 carb cross over vents as well. My .02 -- WR Dave.

• odonnks

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:40 PM

The 06's came with the vent tube already routed to the lower front left of the airbox.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Yea, the '05 came with the tube at the bottom also. It also had a stupid clear block off on the drain. :thumbsup: That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input Dave, I think I will run the tube elsewhere.

• Captain Bob

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:58 PM

I am considering moving the engine vent tube to the AIS elbow on the intake boot like some have said they have done on this forum. Before I do this I would like some opinions before I make the move. The positives on moving the tube I see are the tube being moved up higher on the air box, thus not as likely to get water in the engine if I ever get into high water. I see the factory put the tube high on the frame to prevent water from directly to the valve cover, but I guess you can not be too safe. The other positive I see is on the release of back pressure the engine would suck clean filtered air. Now the negative I have thought of and what is keeping me from doing this mod so far is the release of oil fumes into the air boot. This I feel over time could be a problem by coating the inside of the boot and carb with sticky crap. So what do people think, or what have they seen by this mod being performed? Thanks to all. :thumbsup:

I ran my breather tube to the bottom of the airbox. I put a "T" fitting in just before it went into the airbox (with the spout hanging down) and just above the countershaft sprocket guard. I then connected that closed up piece of clear tubing to the bottom open end. I now can see when I have water (usually after a wash) or oil (after a ride) collecting in the clear tube. I pull the tube and drain as nescessary. I have never had any problems whatsoever with this set up. Airbox is clean, air being "breathed" is filtered, and I do not suck water into the breather hose when making deep water crossings. It works perfectly. The breather hose can be easily turned to follow the back of the cylinder to the aibox. You will end up with more hose then you need. Only cost is the plastic "T" fitting from your hardware store.

Hope this helps!

Bob

• Dodjy

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:29 PM

On my 05 I just pushed a length of plastic tube into the hole from the inside of the airbox and ran it towards the top right hand corner of the airbox (looking at it from the opening). I put a bit of sealer around the tube before inserting it into the hole. This keeps it sealed up and also keeps it from moving. I then cut a block of foam and used a hole punch to punch a hole almost all the way through it. I then Oiled the foam, cut a few holes around the side of the tube so it was like a filter cage and pushed the foam over the end of the plastic tube, covering the holes. The foam block sits neatly in the gap between the air intake and the side cover. You really need to filter this air as it can take in a lot of dust. After only one ride, I pulled the breather tube off and there were dust particles half way up the tube. It wouldn'y have been long before it made it's way into the motor. Since I did this mod, I have had no problems at all.

• dl19

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:40 PM

I ran mine to the top fitting to make sure I would not get anything sucked up in the tube. I did not see any oil or contaminants on my first air filter cleaning. It makes sense it could happen, but has anyone actually had the problem of oil on the inside of the filter. Just wondering.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.