ticking noise

9 replies to this topic
  • Jon-D

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:09 PM

since I purchased my 93 XR (about three rides ago) I have heard a ticking noise coming from the cam chain side of the motor. I thought this was normal noise until I heard another XR running which did not have any noise originating from the motor. could the valve clearances be off? possibly a sign of a bad valves? any other ideas??

• getdrunk

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:33 PM

it eather needs valve ajustment or a nuther reason it might do that is it might have an aftermarket cam. aftermarket cams are louder than stock.

my 400ex was ticking realy bad then i ajusted the valves and it went away

• getdrunk

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:39 PM

also it may be something else. are raptor was ticking. i thought it was the cam. then 2 weeks after the tranny locked and the case got a chunk nocked out and the gears got eaten and it even spit part of a gear out the motor.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Check your valve clearances, thats always a possibility, and could be most likely.

Also, if you take your valve cover off, try to pull the cam chain off the top sprocket, and your able to pull it off at ALL, then the chain needs to be replaced. This can cause a ticking too.

Also what could be a possibility could be the auto decompressor, although its unlikley because the 600's had an external type decomp, where the 650r's had an internal on the cam. You can always disconnect it too; like the cable at the valve cover.

If you get the valve cover off, check your rockers and cam lobes for any signs of wear and/or discoloration as well. If they get hot enough, they can come out of adjustment, and make some different sounds.

And lastly, the larger Honda thumpers are known for a little excess valve/head noise. Sometimes this can be taken care of by valve adjustments, and sometimes it just happens, and theres nothing you can do about it. For some reason, it seems the Honda XR's make a little more valve noise then the other thumpers.

• cleonard

Posted April 24, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Also, if you take your valve cover off, try to pull the cam chain off the top sprocket, and your able to pull it off at ALL, then the chain needs to be replaced. This can cause a ticking too.

If it pulls off at all, it's usually the cam chain tensioner. If you replace it, get a new chain as well. The tensioners don't last too long.

I agree with the valve adjustment. Take a look. If one is way loose it wil tick. Pay special attension to the right side exhaust valve. If the auto-decompressor is engaged when checking clearance, it will be way loose during normal running.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jon-D

Posted April 24, 2006 - 05:52 PM

thanks guys, it turned out to be a miss adjusted valve (too loose).

how often do you have to check the cam chain adjuster? will you know when it is starting to go before it needs replacement? after reading about it, I am a little concerned because the guy who owned the bike before me did not seem like he was into maintenance so it probably was never replaced.

• targetdrone

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Check your valve clearances. It's very easy to do. And ALWAYS make sure your oil level is where it should be.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:02 PM

If it pulls off at all, it's usually the cam chain tensioner. If you replace it, get a new chain as well. The tensioners don't last too long.

I agree with the valve adjustment. Take a look. If one is way loose it wil tick. Pay special attension to the right side exhaust valve. If the auto-decompressor is engaged when checking clearance, it will be way loose during normal running.

I was under the impression that the cam chain tensioners usually lasted quite some time. When I did the the rebuild on my 650r, the cam chain was shot, and the tensioner was still good, but I was still able to pull the chain off the top sprocket slightly when the tensioner was on.

I went through the test in the Honda manual for the tensioner, and I was abel to determine that the tensioner was not shot. But I'm guessing that the tensioner on the 600r's and 650l's are different from the 650r's.

• jeffdab

Posted July 09, 2006 - 12:25 AM

I had a the same problem with my 1997 xr600,i took the rocker cover off and found that the decompreser came lobe and rocker had worn,

• creeky

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:45 AM

It is most probably loose rocker arms or a worn out cam chain. If it is the chain, you will hear a slapping/tapping sound varying in intensity coming from the right side of the engine while you rev the engine up and down. By the way, I'm mystified by the reports of cam chain tensioners going bad. I have replaced quite a few cam chains and have never seen a bad tensioner.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.