2006 YZF450 Jetting Fix

1 reply to this topic
  • l8r

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:40 PM

I have a new 06 yzf450 and had a very lean condition, popping, backfiring etc... at zero to 1/4 throttle opening.
Dealer stated they installed 45 pilots on all new 450s. They left the stock 42 in my bike. This is really no big deal, just need to do some minor tuning.

Location is Charlotte, NC 795 feet above sea level.
Weather has been in the range of 70 to 85 degrees and mostly dry air conditions.

To correct the lean condition:
1) Installed a Boyesen QuickShot.
2) Tried a 42, 45 pilot and ended up going to a 48. The 45 was close, but the 48 makes the starting smoother (one kick)
3) Fuel screw 2~2.5 turns out (this is just my base line setting)
4) Needle raised (lowered clip one position) 5th clip position from top.
5) OEM - stock main jet 165
6) Leak Jet #50 (have a 45 on order and will update the post when I have the opportunity to test it)
7) Adjusted the accelerator pump timing screw .080 inch (Boyesen suggests .100) here is a good link for the proper steps to check the distance/timing. http://crfsonly.com/...ews/apc/apc.php

This produces instant crisp throttle response, no hesitation, bogging or popping and one kick starting. Also there is no popping or backfires on deceleration entering corners.

So far this bike is flawless, jetting is not a defect. This bike would run perfectly stock in southern FL 90 degrees 100% humidity. Suspension is super plush. Motor runs like an electric motor now, perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • T H O R

Posted April 22, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, I just broke mine in with it popping and all that. I need to re-jet, and I hear everyone going to 170/48 and fine tuning it from there. This past week when I was riding, it was about 70%, not too humid, just hot- Michigan, unsure of the elevation

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.