yz/wr frame question

13 replies to this topic
  • One Louder

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:55 PM

is the frame the same on a 98 yz400 and a 98 wr400? I'd like to get come trail riding accessories for my YZ and I was wondering if they'd fit.

Thanks

• kid on a 426

Posted April 23, 2006 - 10:34 AM

If your thinking about a kickstand then no. The WR frame has welded mounting tabs but other than that I'm not sure what you mean

• kylwk1500

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:33 PM

Im pretty sure the fames are nearly identical. The WR will have an extra tab for the kickstand on the frame, And an extra tab on the subframe for the coolant overflow bottle. I have added a kickstand and an overflow bottle to my yz 400 without buying a new frame or anything. Just a little modification.

• Zique

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Other than what has been previously mentioned, the frames are identical. If you are looking for a kickstand, trailtech and promoto billet both make one specifically for your bike.

• One Louder

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I'm actually interested in getting a rack to fit over my rear fender. They sell them for the wr. I think it should fit :thumbsup:

thanks

• Zique

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:04 PM

If it bolts into your seat mounts then yes, you should be fine, but the plastics are obviously different (I don't know if it will affect it or not, just something to mention)

• One Louder

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:02 PM

from the picture it looks like it bolts to the seat and the exhaust bolts. :thumbsup:

I just need something to carry some gear and gas when I go on longer trail rides.
how do you guys pack extra stuff?....Gas, snacks, tools....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted April 23, 2006 - 08:26 PM

That should work fine. All the aftermarket exhausts work for both the yz and wr so the mounts should be the same. I haven't ever carried extra gas, but the snacks and tools part I carry in a camelbak.

Something I have been looking into and you may want to as well, I've seen where they actually sell an additional gas tank that mounts inside the number plate on the left side. Then I will continue to carry tools, etc. in my camelbak.

I'm just trying to share some of the info I've found. For me, I always like to know all the possibilities in order to decide on what is best for my application. If you want, I'll let you know when I find out about the tank.

Hope this helps!

• One Louder

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:47 AM

the tank would be a cool idea because there is a lot of extra space on the left side. if you find it post the link so I can check it out as well.

here's another ??? .... will a stock wr gas tank fit on a yz? I don't like the way the aftermarket oversized tanks look :thumbsup:

• Zique

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:49 AM

yes, but you need to swap out the seat as well. I'll let you know when I find the tank.

• One Louder

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:53 AM

thanks. so to get the wr tank, i need the wr seat......maybe what I really want is a WR, :thumbsup: But I love my yz so much! A WR is in the future but for now I need to make my yz as trail friendly as possible :thumbsup:

• Zique

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:10 AM

This isn't the one I had seen before, but I guess Baja Designs makes one that completely replaces your side number plate (you have to click on 'yamaha' at the side):

https://www.bajadesi...2.aspx?content=

Or acerbis makes one that replaces the radiator shrouds (may be a bit to wide though) or even one that replaces the front number plate:

http://www.google.co...omgVAkboHiyNHXw

I know there is a smaller one that fits inside the number plate, but I haven't been able to find it again yet. I'll keep looking!

• Zique

Posted April 24, 2006 - 08:16 AM

A WR is in the future but for now I need to make my yz as trail friendly as possible :thumbsup:

I've never owned a WR myself, but I have heard a lot of guys on here complaining about the weight of the WR. A lot of them are converting their YZ's to trail worthy machines.

• One Louder

Posted April 25, 2006 - 07:12 AM

thanks for the info Zique. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.