XRL Carb problems--PLEASE, any info???!!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • radvocaat

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:10 PM

My bike ('01-XR650L) is coughing, starving for fuel I suspect, when under full throttle in the higher gears. I've cleaned, and cleaned, many times now, i've checked petcock filters, changed jets ect.... This has been happening on and off now since I bought it last april with only 850kms. Typical story, guy was scared of the bike, it sat for 2.5 years, with fuel in it, before I bought it. I've soaked the carb in carb cleaner and varsol. I even resorted to taking it to our honda shop, they cleaned as I have, and siad it was fine!! 30 bucks later!!! Im at a loss, can't figure it out!! Thing is, it stopped doing it last year after a while, but has come back this year. I drained all fuel from the bike before storage, and took the carb off!

Sooooo, I went over to my buddies place today, he's at work, stole his carb off his '94-XRL and put it on mine and it RIPS!! No cough at all! So could be going on in there? Now i'll start changing internal parts to see if I can isolate the problem. Should I sand the slide lightly with some 1000 grit paper?, heard one guy did that! Has anyone else had a problem like this. Through searches, i've found some guys have just replaced the crab! Would seem a shame, since this one is so clean, it looks brand new.

Im going crazy with this!!!

Anyone have some insight for me??? I wanna go for a ride this eve, good thing my buddy has a two smoker he can ride, so I can use his carb!!

Thanks, i'll check back later!

• jbird710

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:00 PM

Welcome to the new world of Honda being the "cleanest running engines in the world" per Honda rep. There are several things you will need to do to your new motorcycle to make it run properly. See the string:

http://www.thumperta...ave's carb mods

Basically you will need to buy a Dyno Jet carb kit (got mine from Baja Designs) and go from there. If you replace the pipe and/or go with a high flow air filter (such as a K&N), you'll need to get a #55 slow jet also to help with the lean conditions.

While I've always enjoyed tinkering with bikes, it seems kinda retarded to have to go through all of this to make your new bike right

• jbird710

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:21 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have read your problem a little more closely. My original reply was to address something else. If the carb has a diaphragm on the top of it (vacuum operated vs. cable operated) there could be an issue with the diaphragm leaking due to deterioration or damage causing a lean condition. If it is vacuum operated, check the holes in the bottom of the slide to ensure they aren't partially plugged which will have a negative effect on the slide operation. As you say in you description, it really sounds like a slide sticking. If you do any sanding, you want to be extra careful you don't over-do it and be sure to get everything absolutely clean before reassembly. Sometimes, draining all of the fuel out of a tank and storing it for a period of time can cause rust (if it's a metal tank). You might consider putting a small, clear fuel filter in the gas line from the tank to see if any trash is coming out of the tank.

Again, sorry for the original quick post; just frustrated over having to spend time working on a new motorcycle when I could be riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Float level ok? Not sticking or getting hung up anywhere? Are the supply pipes clean & clear? What jets are in there now? You could be running too rich or too lean in the main circuit. Any mods done to the air box or exhaust system? How's the plug & color, new, old, dark, light? If you've got your friend's carb try swapping those jets for yours & see what happens. How about the vacuum diaphram, torn or damaged? :thumbsup:

You're asking for new carb once you start messing with the vacuum piston. :thumbsup:

At worst see if you can keep your friend's carb... :confused:

• radvocaat

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Float level ok? Not sticking or getting hung up anywhere? Are the supply pipes clean & clear? What jets are in there now? You could be running too rich or too lean in the main circuit. Any mods done to the air box or exhaust system? How's the plug & color, new, old, dark, light? If you've got your friend's carb try swapping those jets for yours & see what happens. How about the vacuum diaphram, torn or damaged? :thumbsup:

You're asking for new carb once you start messing with the vacuum piston. :confused:

At worst see if you can keep your friend's carb... :bonk:

Thanks for the replys! As far as the float goes, i wasn't aware the carb on a XRL has an adjustable float. If you know how, please tell me! Float, and all other moving parts move freely and without friction. I now have a DJ165 with my stock pilot, and thats how it wants to run the best, with the jet swaps i've done. I've tried the DJ160, a 170 I ordered along with a 58 and 60 pilot, and the formentioned pairing works best so far. Not impressed with the DJ stage one kit, like daves mods best so far, only using the DJ jets,like I said, it ran great at the end of last year. I really don't think it's in the jetting. Plug colour indicates it's running in the happy zone, no problems there, Clean, new gapped plugs, always good synthetic oil used with new oil filter. Plastic clarke tank very clean after recent carb cleaner slosh about!!!I've got a clean twin air in there now, some mods have been done, snorkel, smog crap, header and WB pipe and lots of other 'bike' mods, but no others motor mods, but it did it before the exhaust/carb/air filter changes. With the mods done, it runs great, stronger power, but when I get up in the gears, it coughs at full throttle. Like I said, it stopped after a good long ride last year, but has returned.
The diaphram has me wondering, and we plan to swap them and see if I can isolate the problem, instead of buying a new crab, but beyond the slide/diaphram, im stumped! Could the carb be a melon from stock that the previous owner never noticed.? Maybe a clogged port somewhere? I've blown out every nook and hole I can find. I've personally been through this carb many, many times, a friend I trust completely has been through it, and our local Honda shop as well. :bonk: :thumbsup:
And im positive KJ wants his dirty old carb back. Too bad, it runs great with it!

• jbird710

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Look on the float assembly where the needle attaches and there's usually a square metal area where the needle rides. You can bend this up or down to adjust the float bowl level - it doesn't take much movement to make a change. I've done the Dave mods but my '06 tends to flutter a little on top end - not so bad it coughs or sputters but you can feel the power come and go. I'm going to try an Edelbrock (non-vacuum carb) to see if it makes any difference. I've seen varying opinions on this web site.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.