Coolant issues part 2

8 replies to this topic
  • Lok47

Posted April 22, 2006 - 10:32 AM

I posted a couple of weeks ago about how my WR400 is shooting coolant into the resevoir. I got a few suggestions that I should change out the radiator cap because it could be old and worn. So I did that and it is still doing the same thing. My roommate is telling me that it is probably my head gasket (I re-used my old ones since I was in a bind). They are cometics, so i figured it would be okay. I'm think that may be the problem, but I want to rule out any other possible alternatives that could be causing my problems. Anyone have a clue? The coolant is not returning back into the radiaotrs, it just sits in the resevoir once it's in there. I'm running engine ice on a 2000 WR400 and it is currently 90* here. Any and all help is appreciated!

• R_Little

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:16 PM

It's overheating. It should suck back into the radiator after it cools. When you pull the rad cap can you see coolant?

• Lok47

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Well it's been about 5 hours since I've ridden it and the coolant has not been sucked back into the radiator. Why is this? Is there supposed to be a return line to the radiator? I only have one line running between the radiator and resevoir. When I opened the cap, there was a discharge of pressure. Is this normal after letting it sit for 4-5 hours?

I looked into the radiator and this time i was able to see the coolant sitting on the fins, but last time I was not able to. Keep in mind, I only road it around the neighborhood this time. The last time it did this, I was running it at the track, so it should have been running much hotter then compared to today (that was when I wasn't able to see coolant in the radiator).

• Tattooart

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:40 PM

so let me get this straight. You have already pulled your head off and reused the existing head gaskets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tattooart

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:41 PM

dude I think you need head gaskets. if you opened the resevoir and ther was pressure you have a cracked or damaged head gasket. my suggestion replace them. this means that you head pressures are too high building too much pressure in the res...

• Lok47

Posted April 23, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, last time i had the head off, I reused the gasket because of time constraints. When i removed the cap on the radiator, that is when there was pressure released, not the resevoir. Sounds like it is the head gasket, right?

• Captain Bob

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I could be all wet but.... Whenever I experienced a blown or leaking head gasket in a car, it always sucked the coolant out of the radiator/reservoir and blew it out the exhaust pipe. The symptom being, you need to constantly refill your reservior. When you took the head off, you obviously had the radiators drained, right? I am thinking that when you refilled them you didn't get all the air out of the system and therefore you are low on fluid causing the system not to work properly. Most bikes I have played with required "burping" them when refilling with coolant. Try this.... top off the reservoir if needed, take the radiator cap off and start up the engine. Let the bike get warm enough to open up the thermostat. You will probably see the coolant level go down in the radiator. Have some coolant ready and top off radiator until until it will take no more. Put the cap on and shut off the bike. Keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few rides, topping off as appropriate. That may solve your problem!

Hope this helps!

Bob

• Matty05

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:42 PM

dude I think you need head gaskets. if you opened the resevoir and ther was pressure you have a cracked or damaged head gasket. my suggestion replace them. this means that you head pressures are too high building too much pressure in the res...

That would be impossible unless the overflow tube is blocked on the reservoir, not the tube from the radiators to the reservoir, but from the reservoir to the ground. :thumbsup: Check your tube routing to see what I mean.

• Lok47

Posted April 23, 2006 - 05:05 PM

I'm going to try "burping" the system. Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.