Bolted on Clarke 4.3

20 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:40 AM

First, thanks to all you guys for posting the reviews over the past on tanks. Based on what you all said I went with a red Clarke 4.3. Fit was really good. Hardes part was the bolt for the left frame mount. Had to pull down and over on the tank to line up the holes but that was about it! The other part was my fault and that was spilling a sh*% load of gas! Only had 30 miles burned out of stock tank and the hole process of taking it off had gas coming out of the breather line, taking off the petcock resulted in some spillage and the grand finaly was teetering a funnel in the new tank mounted on the bike and attempting to loft the old tank up and drain the gas out of the little hole left by the empty petcock. You wouldn't believe how much and how fast the gast shot out of that hole! Soaked me, the bike, the floor. Really upsetting as I'm usually very methodical and clean about my work.

Anyways, great looking tank and great fit. Just curious to see how far I can go before I hit reserve. Used to hit at 50 miles on stock tank.

• needsprayer

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Now when you lay your bike down you can say that you were only moving gas from the left to the right side of the tank. Of course you have to lay it down on the right side to make this story work. :thumbsup:

• adam574

Posted April 22, 2006 - 10:06 AM

can you take some pics i would like to see how the tank looks

• resslera

Posted April 22, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Here you go.

http://img.photobuck...ra/IMG_0412.jpg

• motochris

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Here's the clear model...not the greatest pics....
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Tornado-Piston

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:09 PM

its it just me or why do i never see one of these big jugs full, every time i see one its always half full. :thumbsup:

• yamaharider324

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:15 PM

its it just me or why do i never see one of these big jugs full, every time i see one its always half full. :thumbsup:

they can't afford to fill the tank after they spend $200 on it :thumbsup: :confused:

• adam574

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:18 PM

i really hate how the clear tanks look, but it just makes so much more sense to be able to see your gas level... damnit if i wasn't such a diva looks wouldn't matter so much

• motochris

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Us racer types prefer the clear models. I'll be doing the Cal City GP next weekend, and I "think" it'll make the whole race without pitting (2 hours), but I can just look down and see if it's getting close, if so, I'll stop and fuel.

• skyriver

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:53 PM

I'm debating doing the same thing, but haven't run out yet and I don't want to make the pig any heavier than it already is.... Looks great though. I'll definitely do the red if I get one even though the natural makes much more sense.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:09 PM

I'm debating doing the same thing, but haven't run out yet and I don't want to make the pig any heavier than it already is.... Looks great though. I'll definitely do the red if I get one even though the natural makes much more sense.

When your gas stops are 185 miles apart, you will need the big tank.... plus a gallon in the pack. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• wheelnut46

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Here's the clear model...not the greatest pics....
Posted Image
Posted Image

Not to hijack the thread but...
I want to hear more about that car in the background. :thumbsup:

• motochris

Posted April 23, 2006 - 10:21 AM

My never ending project....I'll get gung-ho on it for a month or 2, then it'll sit for a year. 1931 Model A coupe, 3 in. chop, TCI frame, 9in. Ford rear, 350 TPI Iroc motor w/700r4 trans. Thats as far as it has gotton so far.

• TimBrp

Posted April 24, 2006 - 02:57 AM

I have the Clarke tank too. Nice mount. Did you check the tank for leftover production debris? Mine had plastic shavings galore in it. I didn't like the feel or weight it added to my 650. If someone were to make the right offer I'd get rid of it. It's got a brand new petcock in it too. Used maybe 3 hours and then put on the shelf. I'll use it for turkey runs, but that's about it. If you think a 650R frontend pushes now, wait till you put another 2 gallons on the frontend.

• resslera

Posted April 24, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Yep, I definitely checked the tank for debris. I smacked on it, dumped it several times to reveal a whole bunch of large and small plastic shavings. I then rinsed with Gas twice before mounting.

IMO weight is really relative. I did ride in a lot of sand in CA on my other bike (DR350) but I hardly ever do with my 650. I ride the street and dirt roads. 2 extra gallons is a total of 12lbs. Given that is forward weight I hardly notice it for the riding I do.

• skyriver

Posted April 24, 2006 - 09:29 PM

When your gas stops are 185 miles apart, you will need the big tank.... plus a gallon in the pack. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Great picture. Is that eastern B.C. or Alberta? Looks lonely either way.

Tim, I sent you a PM about the tank. :thumbsup:

• Curvesurfer

Posted April 25, 2006 - 11:26 AM

I put the Clarke on mine and it bolted up as easy as the stocker.

The hardest part was getting the little wire hose clamp off/on the petcock hose.

Is there at trick to those little suckers?

• Max Power

Posted April 25, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Great picture. Is that eastern B.C. or Alberta? Looks lonely either way. :crazy:

South Western BC. 288 mi loop. A sat phone takes some of the loneliness away.

Posted Image

• iestrada

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:27 AM

I just installed the clarke 4.3 last night. I've got the feeling that it should be a little bit back... I had no problem bolting it to the frame, but the shrouds i had to pull them to align with the tank (specially LH) and theres is a 3/4" - 1" gap between the seat and the tank. Am I the only one with this gap?... I'll post a pic later on the week

• Ramcc4x4

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:52 AM

Every time I reinstall my Clarke 4.3 I also have to put a fair amount of pressure on it to get it to line up. When it is installed though it looks great and I do not have any gap where the seat meets the tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.