The Straw that broke the camel's back

61 replies to this topic
  • gagster1960

Posted April 21, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I bought an XR650L from my cousin about three months ago and it has been a total aggravation. Frankly, I don't see how everyone is so enamored with them. They're not much of a street bike that's for sure or even much of a dirt bike and every maintenance items is ten times more difficult than it should be. Everything from changing the spark plug, to carburetor work, to even checking the oil. Most bikes you can just stand it up and look at the sight glass. But no, we couldn't have it that easy with the XR now could we? This piece of junk has been smoking and using oil since day one and I've tried to take care of it, but the oil level readings are all over the place. I rode it 140 miles and had to put a quart in(check method same as follows). Then I rode 50 miles, pulled into my garage, let it idle for 3 minutes and shut it off, just like the book says. Then I waited 2 minutes and then checked it without screwing in the dipstick(which always wants to cross thread by the way), and it showed full. I rode it another 30 miles and it showed full. Then I rode it 25 miles and it showed about 2 inches down from full. I let it set for a couple of hours and idled it 3 minutes and waited 2 and checked it and it didn't even register on the dipstick. So, that's it. That's the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done with this piece of S***. I hope it runs out of oil and locks up so I can part it out on ebay and get some of my money back.

• tomshell

Posted April 21, 2006 - 06:50 PM

How much ya want for it, before you **** it up further? Troll.......

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:11 PM

-Air-cooled motors use oil, no question there.
-There is another way to check & see if the oil level is correct & that's the check bolt on the case.
-Spark plug wrenches for overhead cam (autos) work great for the XRL & also other bikes with the plug in the center of the cylinder between the dual cams.
-The XRL is pretty nimble on the street, but it's not a street bike.
- " is a heavy dirt bike but it'll go just about anywhere, & get you back.
-DP bikes are a compromise and (obviously) aren't for everyone.

Why not just drain the oil & then ride to make it sieze up sooner. :thumbsup:

• rcnutt

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:21 PM

I'll give you a 100 bucks and a 10 speed for it.the 10 speed will not use any oil and you can handle the maintenance blindfolded............

• gagster1960

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:05 PM

So, Dual Dog,

Where is the check bolt? I guess you take it out and if oil runs out, then there is at least enough oil? I guess it could still be overfilled, right? How can the bike give such different readings with the exact same check method taken after sitting for a couple of hours? It was not ridden any distance between checks.

thanks

• smashinz2002

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Man that's too bad, but if you wanted a good, reliable, and easy to work on dual sport, maybe you should have looked at a DR650. I used to own an XR650, but sold it in favor of the DR, mainly because I wanted a bike that was more street worthy, and sat lower, which the DR does. And yes, maintenance on a DR650 is easy and it has an oil level sight glass also.
L.L.

'05 DR650SE
'05 B1200s
'04 KX500

• XR_mad

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:17 AM

sounds like it needs new rings, other than that your being an idiot, find me a bike that is as reliable as a 650L

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:19 AM

find me a bike that is as reliable as a 650L

ok, an XR400........ :thumbsup:

• XR_mad

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:25 AM

ok, an XR400........ :thumbsup:

shhh smartass, actually i was looking at a 400 before i found the pig :thumbsup:

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:29 AM

I bought an XR650L from my cousin about three months ago and it has been a total aggravation. Frankly, I don't see how everyone is so enamored with them. They're not much of a street bike that's for sure or even much of a dirt bike and every maintenance items is ten times more difficult than it should be. Everything from changing the spark plug, to carburetor work, to even checking the oil. Most bikes you can just stand it up and look at the sight glass. But no, we couldn't have it that easy with the XR now could we? This piece of junk has been smoking and using oil since day one and I've tried to take care of it, but the oil level readings are all over the place. I rode it 140 miles and had to put a quart in(check method same as follows). Then I rode 50 miles, pulled into my garage, let it idle for 3 minutes and shut it off, just like the book says. Then I waited 2 minutes and then checked it without screwing in the dipstick(which always wants to cross thread by the way), and it showed full. I rode it another 30 miles and it showed full. Then I rode it 25 miles and it showed about 2 inches down from full. I let it set for a couple of hours and idled it 3 minutes and waited 2 and checked it and it didn't even register on the dipstick. So, that's it. That's the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done with this piece of S***. I hope it runs out of oil and locks up so I can part it out on ebay and get some of my money back.

Sounds like your cousin doesn't like you very well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AK_SLIMER

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:58 AM

well i have to say i love my dip stick right where it is gets old having to bend over to try and see in that little window especialy when its covered in mud or dirt
KEVIN

• Xr650rhonda

Posted April 22, 2006 - 04:09 AM

Everything from changing the spark plug, to carburetor work, to even checking the oil. Most bikes you can just stand it up and look at the sight glass.This piece of junk has been smoking and using oil since day one and I've tried to take care of it, but the oil level readings are all over the place. I rode it 140 miles and had to put a quart in(check method same as follows). Then I rode 50 miles, pulled into my garage, let it idle for 3 minutes and shut it off, just like the book says. Then I waited 2 minutes and then checked it without screwing in the dipstick(which always wants to cross thread by the way), and it showed full. I rode it another 30 miles and it showed full.

I owned a 1983 Xl600 and I enjoyed the bike, as far as the oil maybe you over filled it and now it's being pumped into the air box from crankcase vent. These dry sumps due take some getting used, but I feel they provide good cooling for the oil. I would drain the oil and start over with what the manual recommends for amount with a new filter, all these dry sumps have to be good and hot to get a accurate reading and my bike would show a low reading with a short ride. I would also tilt the dip stick to the right before trying to screw it in, it helps.

• XR_mad

Posted April 22, 2006 - 04:09 AM

ah also i know you can get oil sight tubes for the 650R not sure bout the L so look around before you whinge about the little things on a bike that will get you home every time

• goblin127

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:19 AM

ah also i know you can get oil sight tubes for the 650R not sure bout the L so look around before you whinge about the little things on a bike that will get you home every time

I don't think this guy could handle that.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:08 AM

So, Dual Dog,

Where is the check bolt? I guess you take it out and if oil runs out, then there is at least enough oil? I guess it could still be overfilled, right? How can the bike give such different readings with the exact same check method taken after sitting for a couple of hours? It was not ridden any distance between checks.

thanks

The location & process is on page# 70 in the "little" Owner's Manual, at least for my '98 it is. The check bolt is on the right side case, just below the clutch cover circle. The "level is correct if it is flush with the crankcase lower edge (threads) of the check bolt hole." :thumbsup:

Hope that helps ya! :thumbsup:

• scapegoat

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Air-cooled motors use oil, no question there.

Disagree here. I have 45K on my HD, 8K on the gals Yamaha 650 and neither use a drop of oil as of yet. The Triumph tiger with 22K and water cooling uses it about 1 quart every 4K.
The oil check can be a PITA, be glad you dont own a KTM 950. Talk about a cluster farkle changing the oil.

• gagster1960

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:11 AM

I do appreciate all the replies, really I do, but why make it personal, calling me an idiot, etc, etc? I criticized the bike and and its design. You guys have tried to make it personal.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Your cousin hates you. :thumbsup:

• XR_mad

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:20 AM

I do appreciate all the replies, really I do, but why make it personal, calling me an idiot, etc, etc? I criticized the bike and and its design. You guys have tried to make it personal.

this isnt exactly a good place to flame the XR :thumbsup: and your going off at the bike rather than trying to troubleshoot it in a logical way, oh and yea it is pretty personal find the R vs L thread and you will see just how personal it is

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:11 AM

Gonna need thicker skin when it comes to O.P.P., other people's posts, and their responses to yours. It may read & sound harmless, but you the poster never can tell what opportunity for criticism (usually jokes) you've created... :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.