Story of Stupidity

12 replies to this topic
  • rkuckkahn

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:20 AM

So I'm thinking I know as much as I need to keep the L running like a top. :thumbsup: Wrong :bonk: Last time I rode everything was working great. Yesterday I get on, starts right up but I just can't get it running smooth. Garage smells like gas, burp it and runs rough. I take it our warm it up good, at lower speeds it's still missing, hesitates. What the heck's going on. :thumbsup:

Take it into the garage after turning my idle screw way up (to keep it at least running) burp it a couple times. Play with the mixture screw, nothing. I'm thinking maybe gas is bad (no way I put in Stabil). Still smells like it's running super rich. Oh man is something in the carb sticking or a jet loose.

Then I figure ok I'll futz with the choak. maybe it's out of adjustment, stuck or something like that. So I thumb the choke push it away from the handlebar and the engine rpms run up, runs like a top again.

Moral of the story, remember which way is choke on and which way is choke off. :confused:

But I rode it just a couple days ago........am I ok or has some brain function been damaged by my wife always hitting me on the head? :bonk:

• Maniak

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:17 PM

You were the victim of whats called a CRANIAL FLAGELLATE, I hope I spelled that right, I think just about everyone here could own up to one of those at least once in a lifetime.

• ghoti

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:24 PM

So I'm thinking I know as much as I need to keep the L running like a top. :thumbsup: Wrong :bonk: Last time I rode everything was working great. Yesterday I get on, starts right up but I just can't get it running smooth. Garage smells like gas, burp it and runs rough. I take it our warm it up good, at lower speeds it's still missing, hesitates. What the heck's going on. :thumbsup:

Take it into the garage after turning my idle screw way up (to keep it at least running) burp it a couple times. Play with the mixture screw, nothing. I'm thinking maybe gas is bad (no way I put in Stabil). Still smells like it's running super rich. Oh man is something in the carb sticking or a jet loose.

Then I figure ok I'll futz with the choak. maybe it's out of adjustment, stuck or something like that. So I thumb the choke push it away from the handlebar and the engine rpms run up, runs like a top again.

Moral of the story, remember which way is choke on and which way is choke off. :confused:

But I rode it just a couple days ago........am I ok or has some brain function been damaged by my wife always hitting me on the head? :bonk:

Don't be so hard on yourself, many a man has tore apart a carb for the same symptom and cure.

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:54 PM

Don't feel bad, we all have blonde moments. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

• slepe67

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:06 PM

I took a Sharpie and wrote WARM and COLD on the side of my float bowl, so I didn't have to think about it. So far it works for MY puny brain, now if I could figger out the wiring....

• CrackiN

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:23 PM

Maybe you shouldn't crank it in the garage...I think the fumes are taking a toll....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TahomaTom

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:40 PM

We all have our moments.

I know everyone here has wrestled trying to start their bike and looked down to see you have either the key in the off positoin on the switch on off.

I know I did it a lot on my first bike but it still happens to me about once a year.

• ztsd

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:25 PM

I don’t know if the ‘L’ is the same as the ‘R’ but on the ‘R’ the choke works backward. On any other gas-operated equipment I’ve ever used, the lever replicates the choke plate. When it’s level the choke is open, when it’s vertical, the choke is closed, ya don’t even have to think about it.

I fixed that problem; I have the Edelbrock QC waiting to go on. NO CHOKE!

Anyway, if your ‘L’ is the same as the ‘R’ then it’s NOT you; it’s the genius that designed the reverse intuitive control. What a bozo...

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I had a similar problem but I think it's all Yamaha's fault. :confused: I was trying to start the kid's Raptor 80 & got the choke operation backwards. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. (I thought) the choke was on since I've done this routinely many times.

Crank it over & it wouldn't fire. This little motor always fired right up, too. When it finally did it was running poorly so I thought I'd better turn the choke off. By doing so I actually turned it on & it ran poorly again being too rich. I finally figured out that I had it all Bass Ackwards, once I decided to read the directional info on the choke lever. :thumbsup:

But, it's hard to read, & the choke should be on the bars. At least that's my story & I'm stickin' to it! :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:14 AM

you didn't indicate how long the bike has been sitting, but it takes a lot less time, than people think, for the gasoline to go bad from sitting ... I've seen it happen LOTS of times, try putting fresh gas in ... good luck ... :thumbsup:

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Chokes can be really confusing. I'm glad you figured it out. :thumbsup:

• bork

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:52 AM

I do it on the gas petcock .duhhh :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:50 PM

By the Title of this thread I thought it was going to be about another noob that bought a KXF but wishing he'd stayed with his XR.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.