WR400 Downhill

4 replies to this topic
  • JDrooster

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I am a fairly new user of a 99 WR400. I started wondering last night about how to handle things if I was on a steep downhill and stalled it. On my 95xr250 and my 97ktm620sx I could just pull in the clutch, hit 2nd and then bump start them. The compression ratio is so much higher on this WR. Do I need to use the compression release when I bumpstart it? Ultimately I'd like to get an auto-decomp cam, but for now, how do you compression-release users handle it? Thanks in advance for any replies. -Jerry

• GCannon

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:01 AM

I moved the compression release lever to the right side of the handlebar so that i can operate the clutch and the compression release at the same time. even in first gear it work great. just pull in the clutch and the compression release let the clutch out first then let out the compression release and it runs! no throttle needed The cable is alittle short but I am not using throttle at this time anyway. I always wanted to get a custom cable (longer) and put on one of those works connection brake lever clamps with the thumb lever you see on the hot start set up but I never got around to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MattF

Posted April 21, 2006 - 02:19 PM

I usually bump start in 3rd. Works for me on all but the loosest downhill sections.

• bluebike1999

Posted April 21, 2006 - 03:32 PM

yep, put her in 3 rd and just touch the decomp lever, you're going again.

• JDrooster

Posted April 24, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I played with it on some downhills this weekend.

GCannon, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those perch backs with a HS lever and using it for my compression release as well. We'll see how it goes. hopefully I can get the cam soon and forget about it. Thanks again. -Jerry

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.