14 replies to this topic
  • Kent

Posted October 14, 2001 - 06:15 AM

Hello all,
Looks like there's a wealth of information here. I'm in the market for a Dual Sport and have been looking at the KLR-650, DRS650 and DRZ400, the XLR650 and XR400, even the KTM LC4 and the BMW F650.

I was lamenting that Yamaha didn't offer a decent dual sport since that's all I've ever owned. Now I'm considering a WR 426 w/ a Baja Designs DS kit. Has anyone tried to legalize their in Virginia?

Any comments appreciated.

• yzernie

Posted October 14, 2001 - 06:35 AM

Hi and Welcome aboard!!

I remember someone talking about a Virginia WR dual sport a few weeks ago. I, for the life of me, cannot remember who it was.

I too am a Yamaha dual sport'er. I have an 86 XT600 that I bought out of a tow yard for $200.00. It only had 6,000 miles on it and needed some very minor work to get it into riding shape. I had to fix the choke, put some new levers on and buy new tires. I have put 2,200 miles on it and have had a blast.

The Yamaha shop I deal with said there was not enough demand for the 600cc+ dual sport for the company to keep importing it to the states.

--Life is too short, work hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing,

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 14, 2001 - 08:40 AM

Hi Kent,
What % of riding do you do on/off road and what type of terrain will you be riding off-road? Also, will you be riding to work or commuting?
I too have thought a dual sport would be fun around town. I will license my WR426 this spring after I get a BD kit. But I don't plan on riding on city streets. Mainly to keep the local and staters happy when riding
on public fire roads, etc.

Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

• Kent

Posted October 15, 2001 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. I expect my usuage to be 70 percent street and gravel roads and 30 percent trails. I'd like to be able to commute 80-100 miles round trip, have something light enough I can load it in the back of my pickup, and take with me for weekend getaways. Oh, extended fuel range and quiteness are important to me as well.

I'm 38, 6'0" and 160 lbs. I 'd like something to introduce my boys to trail riding. The 8 year old is taking a interest in my old 76 YZ-80, the 5 year old would ride with me. I'm really impressed with the alcolades the WR/YZ has gotten.

Of the bikes I've mentioned I'm leaning the most towards the KLR-650, because of price.

• Rocky

Posted October 15, 2001 - 11:36 AM

Stay away from KLR - it is a mediocre bike. it is heavy, overheats and wheighs as much as Harley! The best large displacement dual sport bike for the price on the market for the past 8 years has been the XR 650L. it is 70% dirt – 30% street. The KLR is 90% street and 10% dirt. Prior to buying the WR I had a XR650L for 4 years and took it to Moab and many other challenging places without a hiccup. Most of my rides included at least 150 miles of pavement, you can squeeze 120 miles from the stock tank doing 90 miles an hour for the duration.

The new Suzuki DR 400S is an excellent bike also.

• BlueThunder

Posted October 15, 2001 - 11:47 AM

Agree with Rocky totally. The Honda or the Suzook would be my choice if I didn't have a dual-sported WR Posted Image. It's %99.99 dirt + %.01
license plate !

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin(plus everythhing else cool that Ty offers), Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

[This message has been edited by BlueThunder (edited October 15, 2001).]

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 15, 2001 - 05:51 PM

I have to agree with Rocky and Blue Thunder on the Honda XR650L, especially with the mileage that you will be putting on the beast.
Good Luck in your Choice,

Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bonez34

Posted October 18, 2001 - 04:56 PM

i think i'm the one yzernie is talking about. i have a 2000 wr400 va liscensed. it was a pain in the a$$ to get registered and titled but well worth it.

the wr is a very agressive motocross bike that dosen't take well to trail putting. it will do it but it will make you pay for it!

the xr is a bulletproof bomb. it has the reliability second to none and it comes st. legal from the dealer. it comes with a free sofa (seat) that is nice on the rear. the wr is a very stingy perch! it is not as hard core as the wr so you need to decide exactly what kind of riding you will be doing.

if 90% of your riding is street and trail puttin with the kids then i would not go with the wr. but if you want a lighter bike and plan to ride fast or race then the wr.

the xr is much more street and trail friendly and cheaper!

the suzuki is the one i would go with though. it is lighter than the xr, and has plenty of power for the street and trail. it is very quiet, has buddy pegs, and is easier to load. plus the speedo and stuff is digital and very cool.
good luck!

[This message has been edited by bonez34 (edited October 18, 2001).]

• yzernie

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for posting up. I've been working my pea brain for a few days trying to remember who it was!!

--Life is too short, work hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing,

• Kent

Posted October 19, 2001 - 05:27 AM

Hello bonez34 and Ernie,
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate this BB's tolerance of of other brands being discussed. I checked out the DZR 400 at the Suzuki Dealership this week. I didn't know it was available in Blue. It looks pretty nice. The seat seemed a little sparse compared to the DRS 650 sitting next to it but I imagine a gel seat could fix that.

The price has been dropped on the DRS 650 to $4999.00, same as the KLR 650. The DRZ 400 is $5499.00. I like the lineage and inherit reliability of the Honda XR 650L but really prefer a liquid cooled bike.

I'm impressed w/ the WR 426 but not sure I want to go through the hassel of getting it registered for the large percentage of street riding I'll be doing to connect trail heads. I probably won't be ready to buy until this Spring, by then I'll have researched all the options.

• xrracer36

Posted October 19, 2001 - 06:19 AM

kent is my little brother's name. Posted Image

98 wr400f->yzf400
eat, sleep, live, breathe, and love riding.
pin it and grin :)

• mcarp

Posted October 22, 2001 - 04:26 PM

As much as I love the WR, it certainly cannot be considered a 70/30 street/dirt bike.

The suzook 400S, and the KTM LC4 should fall somewhere in line with your needs.

• littlemeh

Posted October 22, 2001 - 04:54 PM

I agree with mcarp. Considering the WR for a street legal machine is like considering an F-16 jet for a private commuter plane. Since you are only planning on using the bike on trails 30% of the time, I would definately consider the Suzuki DRZ400. It costs much less, comes with the security of a key, electric start, and is street legal.

- Littlemeh

• Kent

Posted October 23, 2001 - 08:38 AM

I'm really leaning towards the DRZ 400. I sat on a WR426 this past weekend at the dealership and with the amount of suspension travel it offers I could barely touch the ground. Not very confidence inspiring considering low speed trail riding and stop and go traffic.

I also want to look at the KTM line. They where featured in July's Dirt Bike Magazine. I'll have to find a dealership and look at them.

Good analogy of the WR to an F-16, I used to crew F-15's many years ago.

• Scott_F

Posted October 23, 2001 - 08:48 AM

Another worthwhile consideration is dual sporting the XR650R. I hear they are going cheap.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.