Comments on 99YZ400f

16 replies to this topic
  • SupermotoAbuser

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Im am considering buying a 99 yz400f because they are considerably cheaper than a 02 CRF450. What do you guys think about this bike. Good comments, bad comments, anything. :thumbsup:

• tom nolan

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:56 AM

I have owned a 98 400 since new. Only ride it in the desert. It's been great to me and have had very few problems with it. I've owned Honda's, Suzuki's and other YZ's in the past, and it is by far, the most fun, fast and reliable bike I have ever owned. I have owned mostly 2 smoke bikes in the past, but the YZF's are in a class of their own. Check it out thoroughly before you lay down the cash. Good luck

• Climber

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I have a 98 400. It's been flogged pretty hard but seems to handle it. I like all the yamis though. The yz 4strokes are noisy though.

• SupermotoAbuser

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:36 AM

Im only 15 years old and im wondering if it will be to heavy for me. Does anyone know the acutal riding weight?

• Climber

Posted April 21, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Im only 15 years old and im wondering if it will be to heavy for me. Does anyone know the acutal riding weight?

I use to ride a 77 TT500 when I weighed 150-155 lbs on the trails. A yz400f is a feather compared to that pig.

• DRH

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:41 PM

If it has been maintained it will be a great bike. I still have a 99 400 which I purchased new. It is a very reliable bike. It is still on the original valves and just its second piston. I couldn't begin to count the hours or miles this bike has on it....

• dirtbike_newb

Posted April 21, 2006 - 02:10 PM

I just got one about a month and a half ago, it's just plain awesome. I put a big tank on it and a JD jet kit and I couldn't be happier with it. From what I've heard on here, the valves hardly ever need adjusting and rarely wear out. That is something I know most crf riders can't say for their bikes.

• SupermotoAbuser

Posted April 21, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Is $2200 a good price for a 99

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • heinzee

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:31 PM

I payed 1800.00 for mine 5 months ago. White Bros pipe, Boyseen Accel. cover, jet kit, new Renthal' bars. I put an IMS tank and handgaurds on it and I love it. The thing pulls through the gears like crazy. Just learn to start it and you'll be happy. I raced my buddies KTM 525 and he didn't beat me by much granted he weights 45 pounds more then I do. His speedo had us at 80-85mph. You'll love the bike. :thumbsup:

• One Louder

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:10 PM

the actual weight of the 98 yz 400 is about 250-260. If you're a decent rider I think you can handle the bike....just be careful, the power is incredible if you're not used to it! I went from a CR125 to thid 400 and i'm still getting used to it and its been about two months. This is by far the best machine I've ever owned :thumbsup:

• theclone

Posted April 22, 2006 - 10:17 AM

I love mine. It will definitely feel heavy compared to a 125, so be prepared.

BTW, they're as reliable as a rock. I'm the third owner, and mine runs great. It was well taken care of.

• Markopolo400

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:30 PM

I just got a 1999 yz400f a few weeks ago after I blew up my 125.

It really only took me a couple of laps to get used to the power...And I love it.

I can short shift, and pull 3rd gear out of even really tight corners. :thumbsup:

Just don't try to go too fast too soon and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

• eddiev

Posted April 24, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I have owned my '99 since new. I haven't ever replaced the valves and I have only replaced the seals once. I race novice class in motocross and I am moving to expert in the desert. I replace the oil and filter after every race and after every third trail ride. I have so many hours/miles on it it's not even funny. I have never had a problem starting or restarting after a fall. I worked for a yamaha dealer so I replaced the piston and rings once a year that's all. Be prepared to crash though. It's heavy and fast, but it's also the most fun I have ever had on a bike. Get it practice and enjoy!!!

• smooty

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:55 PM

I had a 400 before my 450 and it was sweet! the power took a little to get used to but i came off a POS 1985 xr 250. we still have the bike and haven't had any problems with the motor at all! they are sweet bikes and super reliable. my brother rides it now and he's 15... :thumbsup:

• LostG8R2002

Posted April 24, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I bought a '99 YZ400F about a month ago, and I'll tell you what... I should have done it earlier... I had it out for over 4 hours this past Sunday and enjoyed every minute. The power does take some getting used to, but that bike can handle just about anything thrown at it (conditions wise).

• Zique

Posted April 24, 2006 - 02:02 PM

$2,200 seems a bit high if you ask me. I paid 1,850 for my 426 a little over 5 months ago and it had some goodies as well. Used, but still good. For 2,200 I'd say that thing would have to be pretty emaculate!

• r1ren

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:35 PM

what about $3k for a 1999 Yamaha YZ400F Supermoto? Also wondering if i could make this bike street legal.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.