Throttle/Carb question

2 replies to this topic
  • 1999XR600R

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Ok, this is kinda hard to explain, so just hear me out. Whenever I am slowing down to a stop, or downshifting, basically anytime i let off the throttle, it likes to slam down to idel speed. understand what im trying to get at? it seems like everytime i let off the throttle, its like ive hit the kill switch, or hit the jake brake. I have lubed everything there is to lube, and it accelerates just fine, but the second i let off, the carb slams shut. and when i accelerate again, the throttle kinda sticks and then gives, making it look like i don't know how to ride, further more this dosen't happen if I am just reving it in neutral!! any ideas or should I just give in and take it to the dealership? Thanks, Casey

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slepe67

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:21 PM

try the idle adjustment knob? Try going counterclockwise a bit at idle, and see if it helps. How's your throttle cables? I ask because mine just did almost the same thing, the return cable was binding. I know minimal things about these bikes, just going off of experince of my '02 450F and my "new" '00 XR600R.

• 1999XR600R

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I have dissassembled all of the throttle parts and sprayed them with wd-40 and also the carb spring with the cable attach to the carb. I was also able to adjust the cables and take out some slack at the carb. This helped it a bit, but it still feels like the carb is just slamming shut, down to idel speed whenever I let off, and the hanging up when i try to accelerate, like its caught on somthing, should I just get new throttle cables? or go to the dealership and see what they think? and another question..... on bikebandit.com they don't have schematics for a 1999 XR600r, but they do have parts for a 1998 XR600r, can I just order parts for the 1998? I wouldn't think there is hardly any difference between the two, Thanks Casey

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.