Lifan LF200GY-5 Dual Sport Fact's & Fiction

89 replies to this topic
  • advt

Posted April 20, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Having owned a couple of chinese bikes and currently having a Lifan 200 GY-5 I will share what I have learned. First of all
American Lifan and Lifan are not the same, if you buy an American Lifan from their dealer network you will get a warranty,
MCO and a bill of sale. They definitely are EPA and DOT approved and each bike has the proper stickers attached. Now,
not to mention any names but there are a lot of dealers that are selling direct imported bikes that are grey market. American
Lifan will not recognize them and will not warrantly them, if your dealer wont supply parts, you are screwed.

There is a big misconception about the cheaper bikes using Lifan Engines. Fact is most of them dont for one reason, they cost
more. They may look the same and the dealers will say they are Lifan, but beware. Real Lifan 200cc engines are known as
163FML-2, OHC, the big givaway to a non Lifan engine is the stroke. This engine has a stroke of 63.5 x 62.2mm which is relatively
long and contributes to it's low RPM torque.

The Engines used on most of the bikes mentioned in these forums including the nice looking blue one with the gold inverted fork's
are using non Lifan Engines. They look almost the same but their not, the biggest giveaway is the stroke, most of them are Jailing or Stannic
short stroke engines, 63.0 x 43.0mm and 61x 49. 5mm. They may or may not have OHC and they are not up to Lifan Quality.

The chinese are very good at copying another manufacturers product on the outside, but inside, Beware.

Having worked on several of these clones I can say that the Lifan is the best of the bunch. The Engines are practically Bulletproof
if properly maintained and the Steel used and the Weld Quality on their Frames are far above anything else I have seen.

If you are looking for a bike check Lifan's website and get some registered dealer names from them, if you negotiate you can get one in the 1200.00-1400
range delivered and you wont have the Headache of trying to get it Registered or getting part's when you need them. Most dealers just have them drop shipped from American Lifan in Dallas, not a scooter shop!

They do cost a little more, but remember, you get what you pay for!

• pullin-gs

Posted April 20, 2006 - 03:55 PM

most of them are Jailing or Stannic
short stroke engines, 63.0 x 43.0mm and 61x 49. 5mm.

That is a 125CC engine, not 200cc
...and Lifan makes several engines with a 49.5mm bore.
Here is thier 156FMI model
http://www.lifan.com...uct.asp?id=5305

Their 162FML engine is the 150CC engine with a slightly longer stroke.

• advt

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:34 PM

You're reading it wrong, the Engines listed with the 63.0 x 43.0mm and 61x 49. 5mm specs are not Lifan Engines and yes, they are listed as 200cc. These are the specs for most all 200cc bikes except Lifan. That's the whole point!

• Yar

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I just purchased an actual Lifan brand LF200GY-2. It has a 163FML engine which, unless I'm mistaken, is not overhead cam but simply overhead valve (i.e. pushrod engine). Its definitely a Lifan, serial # starts with LF####.

From the Lifan canada site:

Lifan Canada

Purchased the unit here:

minimotors.ca

I thought the only distinction between the GY-2 and the GY-5 is the rear disc, but perhaps the differences are more pronounced, different motors perhaps?

• pullin-gs

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:31 PM

You're reading it wrong, the Engines listed with the 63.0 x 43.0mm and 61x 49. 5mm specs are not Lifan Engines and yes, they are listed as 200cc.

Sheesh!
Even the specs on the LIFAN web site quote 63x43mm as a LIFAN 125cc ....did you even look at the link?!?!?!?

5 posts and your an expert on these engines?
....so much so you even question the manufacturer's own numbers. :thumbsup:

Get you facts straight please.
You can start here for a few LIFAN specific pictures and stats:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=331196

• JamesD

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:31 PM

When I first started looking into these bikes I ran across more than one company claiming to be using old Honda dies/molds. It may be that some companies licensed older OHV engine designs and others the OHC.
Unless I could actually compare them all side by side I wouldn't ever presume to call one the best.

It would be nice if we could keep track of which bikes have what motor and which are OHV or OHC and what manufacturer built it.

• JamesD

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Sheesh!
Even the specs on the LIFAN web site quote 63x43mm as a LIFAN 125cc ....did you even look at the link?!?!?!?

5 posts and your an expert on these engines?
....so much so you even question the manufacturer's own numbers. :thumbsup:

Maybe he's a Lifan dealer??? :thumbsup:

• johnny_rmz

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Maybe he's a Lifan dealer??? :thumbsup:

That's funny right there I don't care who you are that's funny :thumbsup:

• advt

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:48 PM

To Pullin

Maybe you should learn to read before copping your mini attitude. Again, the spec's I gave have nothing to do with Lifan, they are the spec's listed by some of the bike dealers talked about in these forums.

You seem to be missing the point, that point being if it does'nt have the spec's FML163-2 and a Bore & Stroke of 63.5 x 62.2mm, then it's not a Lifan. Get it!

• pullin-gs

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Maybe he's a Lifan dealer

Sounds like it. :thumbsup:
At 1/2 the price of a Lifan-America bike (I paid $860 delivered to my door) I'll take a grey-market Lifan any day of the week.
.....cheap....thats the one big selling point these bikes have over the Japanese bikes. I'm not about to forfit half of my savings by not buying Japanese to pay for american-repackaged chinese bike with all the $$$ luggage that goes with it.

PS: My engine is a FML169-2 (vs FML163-2)....another Lifan 200cc variant.
PSS: Licenced an Legal in VA...grey-market and all.
PSSS: I dont know of ANY stock 4-stroke 125cc (the 63.0 x 43.0mm ) 265lb bike that can consistantly carry a 200lb rider to 65Mph. It just doesnt happen.

Pullin'

• JamesD

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:05 PM

You seem to be missing the point, that point being if it does'nt have the spec's FML163-2 and a Bore & Stroke of 63.5 x 62.2mm, then it's not a Lifan. Get it!

Yes, but is having that spec a guarantee a motor is a Lifan? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Is it just me or does the :confused: look a lot like Bingo from the Banana Splits (1968)?

• advt

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:20 PM

No guarantee because many out there will cheat with their spec's. The only way to know for sure is to buy from a real dealer. BTW a FML169-2 is not a Lifan Engine!

And no, I am not a dealer, just someone who has been wrenchin for many year's.

• pullin-gs

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:47 PM

BTW a FML169-2 is not a Lifan Engine!

OKKKKKKKK.
Whatever.
I must say thank you for bringing this up....because of you I pulled my plug to measure the stroke and discovered my plug is showing signs of the bike running lean. Looks like I'll be moving the thottle slider needle c-clip down a knotch.

....anyway, I also measured the stroke as being around 65mm (plus-minus).

Being that you said:

Lifan has a stroke of 63.5 x 62.2mm

Now I'm REALLY confused.... so you are saying it can have that "Lifan" stroke (as mine does) and STILL not be a LIFAN? Which is it?

• maximumbob

Posted April 20, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Obviously size matters.....Can't we all just get along....bore and stroke calculators are abundant on the internet for those who feel like figuring out eh actual displacement that is assuming the specs listed are true as even that comes into doubt in most of the chinese bike listings.

• Penguini66

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:23 AM

Now, not to mention any names but there are a lot of dealers that are selling direct imported bikes that are grey market. American Lifan will not recognize them and will not warrantly them, if your dealer wont supply parts, you are screwed.

I did some checking on what grey market actually means. From wikipedia:

The grey market (or gray market) refers to the flow of goods through distribution channels other than those authorized or intended by the manufacturer or producer.

Unlike those on the black market, grey market goods are not illegal. Instead, they are being sold outside of normal distribution channels by companies which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods.

So that means to me that bikes would only qualify as grey market if they were being imported and distributed in the US without approval of the manufacturer (Lifan in China in this case). In other words, what is Lifan's "normal distribution channel"? Is that distribution channel through American Lifan only? I think the answer is no because many of these other non American Lifan dealers are buying directly from Lifan for import to the US.

In other words, if Lifan is selling direct to somebody other than American Lifan for import to the US, then American Lifan is obviously not Lifan's only distribution channel. That means that a dealer that is not associated with American Lifan is not grey market by default. If they bought direct from Lifan in China with approval to import and distribute in the US, by definition they are not selling a grey market item.

And just to clarify, the LF200GY-5 that I just bought from HooperImports is a genuine Lifan and it does have the 163FML-2 OHV (pushrod) engine with a bore & Stroke of 63.5 x 62.2. I also believe it to not be a grey market bike by definition. It was ordered direct from Lifan in China for import and distribution in the US.

Edit: I just verified that the 163FML-2 is indeed an overhead valve pushrod engine. Not an overhead cam(OHC) engine. Sorry for the confusion.

• RobertN

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Wow, they look like they got a new designer in on the plastic. Pretty nice looking if you ask me.

Also, bore X stroke = displacement. Obviously an engine running smaller #'s can't be a 200 if the math comes out to 125cc.

Posted Image

• Penguini66

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I guess a little simple math goes a long way doesn't it:

For the 200cc 163FML-2
Bore diameter = 63.5mm
Stroke length = 62.2mm

Displacement = Area of Bore x Stroke = ((PI x d^2) / 4) x stroke
=((PI x 63.5mm^2) / 4) x 62.2mm
= 196.983mm^3

• ColinOd

Posted April 21, 2006 - 05:40 PM

So how do I indentify a lifan engine, or at least an OHC one? I see the ones with OHC have a cheesy cam cover that says "CDI" on it. Shall I ask the seller to see the actual bike's engine?

• Karlznet

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:16 AM

Real Lifan 200cc engines are known as 163FML-2, OHC

So, can you tell if it's an Overhead Cam engine by the two valve adjusting
"Screw Caps" like the 163FML has?

Or do the push-rod engines have the same removable screw caps to adjust the valve lash?

I was under the impression that the pushrod engines have a "valve cover" that you have to unbolt and remove (like the XR100's), to adjust the valves.

Can one of you Lifan experts correct me if I'm wrong? :thumbsup:

• Karlznet

Posted April 23, 2006 - 02:28 AM

Wow, they look like they got a new designer in on the plastic. Pretty nice looking if you ask me.

Very nice indeed :thumbsup: Now if they would only put the 163ML-2 in that new model and ship them over here, those fake plastic radiator shrouds would finally be good for something besides eye candy..........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.