It runs!!!! kinda......

8 replies to this topic
  • atf8611

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:15 PM

after a new piston/rings and new valves, the bike started on the second kick. the problem now is that it wont run with the choke off, or it will just idle until i try to give it gas, then it dies. i tried playing with the idle screw a little bit, but it seemed to have little to no effect. will the idle screw stop turning at some point, so i know when i am at the end? anything else i can screw with? should i let it run with the choke on for a little longer? its a 99 wr400

• OlaGB

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like you have forgot to fasten something between the carb and the head?

If it only runs on choke, it makes me think that it gets in air somewhere it shouldnt be doing, between the carb and head..

• dbailey223

Posted April 20, 2006 - 01:03 PM

When I put a new carb on my HUsky, I had the symptons you describe, but with the choke off it would still run, just rough. I had to go up on the pilot jet a bunch. But, your situation sounds different because you didn't do anything to change the bike, like a new carb, new pipe, etc. So, atf8611's advice sounds good

• Numskull

Posted April 20, 2006 - 01:36 PM

Sounds like an air leak to me also. That kinda stinks though after putting it all back together and it dont run right :thumbsup: .

after checking the intake boot/manifold out I would check to make sure your pilot screw is there and see what its set at. From there I would double check the vavle clearance and the cam timing. Good luck and let us know what you get fiquered out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desracer

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Do you have a hot start air circuit in the carb? I have seen the silde get stuck open in the carb, then it starts hard and runs bad. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner then made sure the slide would hit bottom. My hot start is worked with a cable from the bars, just a thought.

• atf8611

Posted April 21, 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the advise. It looks like the intake boot is secure, and i dont see where there would be any intake leaks. should the idle knob effect anything when the choke is on, because it doensnt? where is the pilot screw? could i have a clogged jet somewhere? i know nothing about the inside of a carb, so any detailed description/ pictures would be wonderful. Thanks again for all the help. oh, and the bike did sit for a while with gas in the carb.

• dbailey223

Posted April 21, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Wouldn't hurt to get rid of the old gas and clean the carb.

Not familiar with your bike, but in general the fuel screw is on the bottom of the carb pointing down. It's hard to get at, which is why many buy an extended screw to make it easier to adjust with the bike all buttoned up. And, to adjust it, you want the bike nice and warmed up--many say running 20 minutes or so.

Yuo can get to the main jet and pilot jet (think of them as long skinny bolts), usually, to clean them by unscrewing them out through the hole that will be there when you remove the large screw from the bottom of the carb float bowl. IN general, you can get to other jets by taking the whole float bowl off.

• chancho196

Posted April 21, 2006 - 11:59 PM

It sounds very much like there is dirt in a jet. If the petrol dried out in there, it may have left a residue in the jets etc. Take the float bowl off and check it out. Remove the jets with a good fitting screwdriver to avoid damaging them. The mixture screw is at the front of the carb and is accessed through an aperture in the float bowl. I use a screwdriver "bit" that goes into a magnetic screwdriver. This can then be turned by your fingers.

I take it that the cam timing and valve clearances are all correct? The stator coils etc. not damaged when camchain was off/loose?

Good luck.

• atf8611

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:50 AM

It sounds very much like there is dirt in a jet. If the petrol dried out in there, it may have left a residue in the jets etc. Take the float bowl off and check it out. Remove the jets with a good fitting screwdriver to avoid damaging them. The mixture screw is at the front of the carb and is accessed through an aperture in the float bowl. I use a screwdriver "bit" that goes into a magnetic screwdriver. This can then be turned by your fingers.

I take it that the cam timing and valve clearances are all correct? The stator coils etc. not damaged when camchain was off/loose?

Good luck.

timing is correct, and i double checked valve clearance before i installed everything. i doubt thte stator was damaged at all becuase it starts just fine. i guess i will have to get into the carb now...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.