Exciter coil

1 reply to this topic
  • Fredda

Posted April 20, 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'm about to rewinding the exciter coil (the one suppling energy for the ignition) of my XR600 -93. Do anyone knows how many rounds of 0.2mm (0.0078740157 inch) cupperwire there should be?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 24, 2006 - 10:32 AM

As many as will fit. I also have a 93 that I rewound my self. I used 33 gage wire which is a size or two smaller that you are using. I didn't count turns. I just put on as many turns as would fit. Since you can't manually wind it a cleanly as the machine, it is difficult to get as many turns as the stock coil. However, it works great. With the rewound coil my bike starts easily, and runs well. I did it 2 years ago and it is still working great.

The 93 uses 2 cores on the stator. Wind one clockwise and the other counter clockwise. After winding coat in epoxy to protect the windings.

Good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.