06 WR450F lowering question

23 replies to this topic
  • wdf2121

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:02 AM

Just bought the new 06 wr450f and was wondering if anyone had any quick and easy ways to lower the bike about 1-2 inch's?

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Go to www.mountainmotorsports.biz. They are the only people to develope a lowering link for the Yamaha WR & YZ. It is very spendy compared to the Kouba link but they are the only show in town. :thumbsup:
Jim

• Kepy

Posted April 20, 2006 - 11:58 AM

You can lower it also at no costs by lowering the forks and the rear shock.
Forks - loosen the triple clamp bolts and move the forks up.
Rear shock - screwing the spring nuts up :thumbsup:

Check out your manual for more details.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:58 PM

check this out.

full circle cycle

Dave Lampmann is in TX, but he does great work plus it's worth the bucks to get the bike setup for you. Give him a call. I'm sure he'll give you the best solution.

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Go to www.mountainmotorsports.biz. They are the only people to develope a lowering link for the Yamaha WR & YZ. It is very spendy compared to the Kouba link but they are the only show in town. :thumbsup:
Jim

probably the most expensive way to do it.......

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Just bought the new 06 wr450f and was wondering if anyone had any quick and easy ways to lower the bike about 1-2 inch's?

Do it properly - take it to a suspension tuner. AKA supermoto lowering. I got this done to my girly's bike.

Get the suspension lowered, new springs (if you need them) and a revalve.
Spend the money, it is the best mod you could do. :thumbsup:

• ETP

Posted April 21, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor. He's a small one man operation. Haven't had a chance to ride it too much yet, but so far it looks like he did a good job. After I get some time on the bike, I'm going to post my thoughts here on TT.
If you live in SoCal, give him a call 661 250-8346

• Matty05

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:51 AM

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor.

:thumbsup: My god that's expensive! I hope you got a revalve as well for that kind of money!

I paid $70 Australian for lowering of the chickys bike, as you say, they are only spacers!

• ETP

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:24 AM

:thumbsup: My god that's expensive! I hope you got a revalve as well for that kind of money!

I paid $70 Australian for lowering of the chickys bike, as you say, they are only spacers!

Yes, you are right. The spacers are cheap, but have to be machined.
Considering the premier suspension shops here in the US wanted around $500 - 700USD, even if I sent them the parts, Kenny at Straight Line Suspension took the bike and did all the labor for less that $300. I did not have him revalve. We decided it wasn't necessary for my ride style and size.

Actually, you Australian guys are the ones that got me looking around more to find a cheaper option here. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• luv2ride2

Posted March 07, 2015 - 01:42 PM

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor. He's a small one man operation. Haven't had a chance to ride it too much yet, but so far it looks like he did a good job. After I get some time on the bike, I'm going to post my thoughts here on TT.
If you live in SoCal, give him a call 661 250-8346

I Live in Santa Clarita and I've had Kenny do work for me & been very satisfied. Unfortunately Kenny has passed away due to medical complications. He will be missed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted March 07, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I know this is an ancient thread, but I suspect the reason for the large difference in price is the method of lowering. $70 might get you a new rear link and the forks slid up, while $300 could be shortened forks so you don't need to worry about the wheel going too far up. 

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2015 - 02:17 PM

The forks could be pulled up 1/2" and the front of the seat cut 1" by SDG seats. Cheap.

Edited by stevethe, March 07, 2015 - 02:18 PM.

• luv2ride2

Posted March 07, 2015 - 02:21 PM

My friend just bought a 2006 Yamaha WR 450. I've lowered the suspension as far as possible & shaved the seat. He's trying to lower the bike another 1-2". I am having difficulty finding a lowering link for this bike. Kouba says they no longer make a link for this bike. I Can't find a manufacturer that makes a link for this bike. Please help.

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:12 PM

My friend just bought a 2006 Yamaha WR 450. I've lowered the suspension as far as possible & shaved the seat. He's trying to lower the bike another 1-2". I am having difficulty finding a lowering link for this bike. Kouba says they no longer make a link for this bike. I Can't find a manufacturer that makes a link for this bike. Please help.

You sure you want one. It messes up the way the suspension works. It's much better to send the shock out or do it yourself with lowering spacers.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 07, 2015 - 03:19 PM

An extra- Low profile seat, and more experience.........

Anything you do to the suspension you will be un-doing in short order, as it ruins the handling.

Do NOT lower the rear by softening the spring pre-load. That is guaranteed to make you understeer dramatically, and probably crash.

Getting the rear sag setting correct is critical to getting the bike to handle in a neutral manner.

• Chaconne

Posted March 07, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Anything you do to the suspension you will be un-doing in short order, as it ruins the handling.

Do NOT lower the rear by softening the spring pre-load. That is guaranteed to make you understeer dramatically, and probably crash.

Getting the rear sag setting correct is critical to getting the bike to handle in a neutral manner.

Agreed. I think the key point is experience. I am a smaller rider and have been riding bigger bikes for a long time. At least for me, I usually spend a lot of time in "static practice" with a new bike. I did treat myself to a custom seat for my 2014 wr450, had Fisher (http://www.fishersad....com/seats.html) do it and I am very pleased it was pricey though but great quality. Fisher took off about 1 1/2 inches from stock but widened it a bit and used better foam than the "crushed rocks" and seat pan that comes stock especially if you shave it.

• rah7777777

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:04 PM

I dropped mine 2.5".
Sent forks and shock to Mikes Suspension in OK.
He did everything internally and was priced very nice with rebuilding everything.

• luv2ride2

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:47 PM

He is 55 y/o and wants to get back on the saddle again. He hasn't road in 20 years and is 300+lbs. He's having a hard time getting his leg over the seat when he mounts the bike.

Edited by luv2ride2, March 07, 2015 - 05:52 PM.

• luv2ride2

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:50 PM

You sure you want one. It messes up the way the suspension works. It's much better to send the shock out or do it yourself with lowering spacers.

How much would it lower the bike if I sent the shock in & put in spacers? What would this cost apprx?

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2015 - 05:55 PM

How much would it lower the bike if I sent the shock in & put in spacers? What would this cost apprx?

Pretty much any amount you want. But I would not go too low as it affects handling. I really don't know the prices. I did it my self with Racetech spacers. Probably talk to Racetech or another shop.

Edited by stevethe, March 07, 2015 - 06:02 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.