What base settings are you uys usin for 06 suspension

15 replies to this topic
  • dooweb2

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:28 AM

I like very plush active suspension.. im 160 sr c novice a lot of 60 foot jumps and chop

• NYMXer

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:45 AM

The 06 YZ450F comes very close stock. Set your sag and raise the forks to the first line and you might only need minor clicks back and forth. The spring rates then valving dictate how plush the suspension will be. Clickers offer some range of adjustment. Oil level and viscosity can offer some adjustments too.

I could help more if you told me what you think the bike is currently doint that you don't like. Don't forget to check tire pressure too. It all comes together to create a total suspension package.

• dooweb2

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:05 AM

buckin front and back on the acceleration and brake chop... kickin out a bit on jump faces Im messing with rebound settings.. I already dropped forks to line... Im oin to check the sag aain today to see if it settled on me

• RIDE 13

Posted April 20, 2006 - 10:15 AM

:thumbsup: Their is an artical in the feb. 06 motocross action on the 06 450,It tells you everything you need to know :thumbsup:

• dooweb2

Posted April 22, 2006 - 12:27 PM

bump up.. I realize I am not fast enough to be the rider the base settings were designed for so Im looking for your input..

• NYMXer

Posted April 22, 2006 - 01:27 PM

buckin front and back on the acceleration and brake chop... kickin out a bit on jump faces Im messing with rebound settings.. I already dropped forks to line... Im oin to check the sag aain today to see if it settled on me

Set the sag at 4" and slow the front and rear rebound 2 clicks. Take it for a ride at speed. Is it better, add another click or two. Is it worse, go back 4. If the bike seems harsh, take out compression dampening. The bike seem soft, add some compression. Most of the kicking over braking bumps is from too much rear brake and not enough front. Also, you should be centered over the bike, standing/squatting while your arms and legs are acting as additional suspension. Post your results. :thumbsup:

• aford541

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:57 PM

How new is the bike?

It takes some time to break in the suspension, you are lucky the stock settings are perfect for you.

On the shock, Soften the High speed compression a half turn and the compression dampening 2 clicks if your are at the stock setting of 1.5 and 10.
If the shock is not bottoming don't be afraid to soften it more the shock should hard bottom no more than a couple times a lap. Less rebound will help transfer the weight to the front which will help it turn also but it may rotate forward too much in the air so be careful when messing with suspension. And of course set the sag at 102mm.

Same with the fork soften the compression a couple clicks and the rebound one and don't be afraid to lower the fork another 10mm lower than the line, some tters have had success by doing that.

• dooweb2

Posted April 23, 2006 - 06:41 AM

ok one thing please clarify your rebound instructions.. when you say slow down the rebound you mean to turn clicks in clockwise correct and speed up is to back out.. to slow it down reduces kicking correct .. aford when you say less rebound you are saying turn the clicker in to slow it down correct?.. one thing I am noticing is that the suspension doesn't use the whole stroke at all. my 03 250f has a lot of movement . also the new bike tends to bounce up and leave the ground if I dont clear a table top, or on long straights with dips on the track..the bike pogos across the bumps when im trying to wheelie across them and keep traction..It seems to be really stiff and rebounding badly.. when Im going down a hill with braking bump and chop I'm in attack mode centered on bike braking mostly with front trying to use a lil rear to settle the bike down, riding in 3rd gear to let suspension work..its not working. Its very rough and not controlled.. I usually jump aggresively and almost everything on the track but I am very uncomfortable on the bike so far ,and am not jumping much.When I do I am not sure of the bike..the bike is new < 5 hrs and hopefully is still breaking in the suspension.. I may go have a gentle expert beat on the suspension for a while to break it in as I am not pushing at all on it..because of this I am definately slower on this bike than my 03 250f which I would ride with the throttle wicked and throw it all over.. Ill get used to it but being a squid again sucks...lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted April 23, 2006 - 11:13 PM

ok one thing please clarify your rebound instructions.. when you say slow down the rebound you mean to turn clicks in clockwise correct and speed up is to back out.. to slow it down reduces kicking correct .. aford when you say less rebound you are saying turn the clicker in to slow it down correct?.. one thing I am noticing is that the suspension doesn't use the whole stroke at all. my 03 250f has a lot of movement . also the new bike tends to bounce up and leave the ground if I dont clear a table top, or on long straights with dips on the track..the bike pogos across the bumps when im trying to wheelie across them and keep traction..It seems to be really stiff and rebounding badly.. when Im going down a hill with braking bump and chop I'm in attack mode centered on bike braking mostly with front trying to use a lil rear to settle the bike down, riding in 3rd gear to let suspension work..its not working. Its very rough and not controlled.. I usually jump aggresively and almost everything on the track but I am very uncomfortable on the bike so far ,and am not jumping much.When I do I am not sure of the bike..the bike is new < 5 hrs and hopefully is still breaking in the suspension.. I may go have a gentle expert beat on the suspension for a while to break it in as I am not pushing at all on it..because of this I am definately slower on this bike than my 03 250f which I would ride with the throttle wicked and throw it all over.. Ill get used to it but being a squid again sucks...lol

No i'm sorry, everyone has their own lingo.

More = Slower = more clicks in = clockwise.

It sounds to me like the rebound is too quick, not enough too fast and there is too much compression which is a result of your suspension being so new and possibly your forks need bleeding which may also cause the fork to rebound violently if you happen to land short also the bike won't turn and it will fee like there it a ton of compression dampening in the fork.

1. Bleed the fork with the screw on top of the fork that is offset, then ride it.
2. if it feels better but not quite enough take out = speed up = counter clockwise = soften compression dampening on the top of the fork.
3. Soften = counter clockwise = take out 1/2 turn of High speed compression.
This will help the bike use more wheel travel in the rear on the choppy square stuff exiting corners.
4. I have found that once the suspension breaks in it seems like it is 2 clicks softer.

I hope that helps.

• JetBlueJoe

Posted April 24, 2006 - 03:59 AM

dooweb2 do me a favor and pm me when you get your bike dialed in. I'm experiencing the same symptoms with my bike. I was slow on my 250F but now I'm even slower on the 450 because of it's tight suspension. My son who rides the bike well at englishtown will not ride the bike at our local track because of the rigid suspension. I realize it's going to be different for both my son and I because of the weight differences and the riding style. But I would like it much softer. We have about 6 hours on the bike. On a positive note I gotten faster on the 250F obviously a result of struggling with the 450. Thanks

• scottpb33

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:50 AM

First off, set the rear sag at 105mm, which is about 4 1/8 inches, this will help take some tension off of the front end. Try the folowing clicker settings'

Fork
Comp 15
Rebound 8

Shock
Comp(low speed) 14
Comp(high speed) 2 turns out
Rebound 10

• dooweb2

Posted April 24, 2006 - 12:36 PM

thanks thats a start

• altered

Posted April 27, 2006 - 09:38 AM

First off, set the rear sag at 105mm, which is about 4 1/8 inches, this will help take some tension off of the front end. Try the folowing clicker settings'

Fork
Comp 15
Rebound 8

Shock
Comp(low speed) 14
Rebound 10

scottpb33,
Am I correct in assuming these are settings are for the clickers being set all the way in? (clockwise) ie comp 15 clicks OUT?
Thanks.

• JetBlueJoe

Posted April 27, 2006 - 11:31 AM

Fork
Comp 15
Rebound 8

Shock
Comp(low speed) 14
Rebound 10

I know this is dooweb2 thread but thanks too! I like the part about taking tension off the front end.

• moochie

Posted April 27, 2006 - 12:23 PM

The downside to more sag in the rear could result in the front end not sticking in the corners as well.

• bryant40

Posted April 27, 2006 - 09:12 PM

'06 YZ450
Running 98mm sag. All stock spring rates. 170 lb rider
Fork comp.= 14 clicks out from full soft
Fork reb. = 14 clicks out from full soft
Shock comp.= 14 out from full soft
Shock reb.= 15 out from full soft

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.