06 Tahoe 2wd and Towing

47 replies to this topic
  • skoot22

Posted April 19, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Ok i know i dont have the best truck to be towing with but i am trying to make due with what i got. I have an 06 Tahoe 2wd with 3:42 gears. I have made an appointment to have the gears done and airbags installed. Gears are $517.00 installed and the bags are $210.00 installed. I am going to go with a 4:10 gear ratio. Will this setup help quite a bit or are the gears to low? Are the 4:10's going to kill my gas mileage? Should i go with 3:73's? Also i have a 26' Weekend Warrior Front Sleeper, I also have a weight distribution Hitch. Thanks in Advance...Scott

• cms_austx

Posted April 19, 2006 - 09:56 PM

I have an '05 Avalanche w/ 4.10's, and there's no way I'd haul a 26' WW w/ it. It feels like my 18' Tahoe Lite is already enough of a workout for the engine on climbs, though the handling is fine (no airbags installed). I get 13 - 15 mpg mixed driving on avg., and 10-10.5 mph towing.

Don't forget a brake controller if you don't alread have one. I use a Prodigy, which is awesome. It's plug and play if you order w/ the harness.

• munchieu

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:11 AM

Ok i know i dont have the best truck to be towing with but i am trying to make due with what i got. I have an 06 Tahoe 2wd with 3:42 gears. I have made an appointment to have the gears done and airbags installed. Gears are $517.00 installed and the bags are $210.00 installed. I am going to go with a 4:10 gear ratio. Will this setup help quite a bit or are the gears to low? Are the 4:10's going to kill my gas mileage? Should i go with 3:73's? Also i have a 26' Weekend Warrior Front Sleeper, I also have a weight distribution Hitch. Thanks in Advance...Scott

that trailer is to big for your tahoe.you better drive 55mph. i think the dry weight of the ww is around 5300lbs and a total gvrw of 11,000lbs...your going to be 3-4thousand over the tahoes rating. i have a yukon xl that i use to pull my superlite 23 with and loaded at 7,000lbs and it was a bit much. start saving for a 3/4ton truck. be carefull.

• munchieu

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:33 AM

be carefull scott you dont want this to be you..

http://media.putfile...ugh_horse_power

• Captain_Toyota

Posted April 20, 2006 - 01:56 PM

I agree. Your Tahoe was never designed to tow that much weight. It has plenty of power, but even with trailer brakes it just doesnt havent big enough brakes, IMO.
Id suggest saving up for a Silverado 2500 crew cab with a Duramax diesel.

• skoot22

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Man i was really hoping to hear a couple of positives responses, but honesty is more important. I'm kind of bummed now. I hope i dont burn up the engine or tranny on my Tahoe.That is what i am mostly concerned about. Well hopefully it will work, i plan on taking it easy and not getting in a hurry keeping it at or under 55mph,I do not plan on loading the trailer too much. I am going to try and keep it around 6500lbs maybe 7000lbs max. I was told that gearing will add 1000lbs or so to my tow rating.Trailer brakes will be installed on Monday. My first trip will be the weekend of May 20th from Bakersfield to Lancaster for a Soccer Tournament. So we'll see how it goes.If anyone else has a Tahoe or something similar please let me know what you think or your experiences. Thanks for the replies....Scott

• munchieu

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Scott don't use the factory round tube hitch.. it will twist up. mine did. thats why i lifted the trailer so i can tow with my tuck. just be very careful my superlite pushed my Yukon XL around like nothing. if you can get the prodigy brake controller. its the best

• skoot22

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:07 PM

A trailer place here in town said they use Draw Tite and said they are the best, U-Haul sells the Prodigy. I have heard alot of good things about the Prodigy, May i will go with them

• munchieu

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:11 PM

get the prodigy on line i got mine for $110 to my door from rjays.com its 99 dollars from them

• cms_austx

Posted April 20, 2006 - 08:20 PM

I had a Draw-Tite on my Tundra, now have a Prodigy on the Avalanche. They don't even deserve to be mentioned together, the Prodigy is FAR superior. Check out the technology, it's pretty impressive!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • K5monsterchev

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:44 PM

If you have a factory limited slip, get it replaced with an eaton posi, and if its open dont put a gov lock in. Remember to get the computer recalibrated for the gear change otherwise your speedo will be incorrect along with shift points and a bunch of other stuff. Personally I wouldnt really tow anything with a half ton, I dont care what you say, there just not designed to tow. Small engine, not that beefy of a drivetrain, I mean if you like working the crap out of your engine go ahead, but a 2500 would be much more sutied to tow.

• skoot22

Posted April 21, 2006 - 04:55 AM

If you have a factory limited slip, get it replaced with an eaton posi, and if its open dont put a gov lock in. Remember to get the computer recalibrated for the gear change otherwise your speedo will be incorrect along with shift points and a bunch of other stuff. Personally I wouldnt really tow anything with a half ton, I dont care what you say, there just not designed to tow. Small engine, not that beefy of a drivetrain, I mean if you like working the crap out of your engine go ahead, but a 2500 would be much more sutied to tow.

How or where do i get it calibrated?

• munchieu

Posted April 21, 2006 - 10:40 AM

http://www.hypertech...programmer.html get one of these.http://www.superchip...1&mmk=598&msg=+
these will fix the speedo and
the xtra hp and firmer shifting will help with towing :thumbsup:

• K5monsterchev

Posted April 21, 2006 - 05:23 PM

The dealer should be able to recalibrate it.

• Ud_Luz

Posted April 22, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Don't do this. The vehicle is too light. The suspension and brakes aren't up to snuff for this heavy of a trailer regardless of trailer brakes.

I can guarantee you the weak a$$ed 4L60E tranny will puke. Follow the other posters advice and get a 3/4 ton rig.

A 26' TH is way too large to safely haul behind this toy soccer mom SUV. I used tow a 28' TH behind a 3/4t modded Suburban with a 454 and didn't feel all that comfortable doing so.

No reason to risk your or other peoples lives on jury rigging the Tahoe.

• skoot22

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:05 PM

Bags and gears are done, dealer will recalibrate Monday. So we will see how it goes next month on our trip. If the shit breaks then warranty better cover it. Ud Luz nothing is being jury rigged as you say, i dont know how you do things, but everything done here is done right. New truck is out of the question the Tahoe is going to have to do the job like it says it will do or go back to the dealer to get fixed. I have read several responses from other sites that say the Tahoe will be just fine. I knew this would turn into i should go out and buy a 1 ton diesel and that is the only truck that will tow anything thread. I should probably go out and buy a 4 stroke too but that is not happening either any time soon. Thanks...Scott

• Ud_Luz

Posted April 22, 2006 - 06:17 PM

I really wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I shelled 2 trannies in an 04 1/2 ton Silverado towing. The 4L60E used in the Tahoe and the Silverados is nothing but an updated 700R4, a renown POS. In hot weather towing up hills with a heavy load these trannies will not hold up. The 3/4 ton uses the 4L80E which is an excellent unit. I never mentioned anything about diesels. The real reason for the 3/4t is the tranny and the suspension.

I stand by my statement. A 26' TH isn't something that I would tow behind a vehicle that is way less capable than the 1/2 ton Chevy truck. A 3/4t Suburban is a LOT better tow vehicle than the Tahoe and even it isn't all that great.

Regardless of what you think the Tahoe is a light duty vehicle designed for on road comfort. The ride is very good at the expense of off road and towing capability.

• skoot22

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:47 AM

It just gets irritating when i ask a question about something and get a responce like, i need to buy a new truck. I asked if what i doing is going to help very much or is it a waste of money of if the gearing choice i choose is better than the 3:42's. I know the Tahoe is going to struggle but as it stands it is all i got and the wife is not going to get rid of it. It is what we have to tow with, my little Tacoma will not work. Im sorry for the rude comment and the post was not all aimed at you Ud Luz. I will see how it works and report back. I do not plan on taking it on very long trips, maybe 200 miles max usually with only one decent hill climb. Again sorry, and thanks for your comments...Scott

• scot_douglas

Posted April 23, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Best of luck and safe & happy towing! :thumbsup:

• munchieu

Posted April 23, 2006 - 03:54 PM

[quote name='skoot22.but everything done here is done right. [/QUOTE']

no your not... doing it right would be getting rid of your taco and getting a 3/4 ton truck.. just remember we warned you. call ww i bet you they dont even recomend you doing it..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.