Measuring fork oil level

6 replies to this topic
  • MikeZ

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:31 PM

XR650R.

So I flushed all the old, icky fluid out with ATF. And am in the process of reinstalling some really nice 2.5 wt.

I know the manual calls for 4.7" from top with the fork collapsed, springs out. My question is what does "collapsed" mean?

There is a point where the forks want to stop naturally, but if I push hard, it can go another 3/4 inch or so. Obviously, this changes the oil measurement.

Thanks all,

-Z

• Max Power

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:53 PM

"Collapsed". Hmmmm.....

Posted Image

• MikeZ

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Max.

I have the service manual, but I always like looking at your avatar...

Never mind. I am a total dumb@ss. I was running into the fork boots...

Problem solved.

BTW, I also learned, not to fully extend the fork as you are pumping new oil through... BIG MESS!!

-Z

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Max.

I have the service manual, but I always like looking at your avatar...

Never mind. I am a total dumb@ss. I was running into the fork boots...

Problem solved.

BTW, I also learned, not to fully extend the fork as you are pumping new oil through... BIG MESS!!

-Z

I see. More good info HERE. Make sure you read the whole thread. Some corrections along the way.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 18, 2007 - 09:10 PM

I see. More good info HERE. Make sure you read the whole thread. Some corrections along the way.

Isn't the adjuster collar shown in the pic upside down?Or is that one of the corrections?

• abby

Posted January 19, 2007 - 04:52 AM

Any particular brand or flavor of Automatic transmission fluid?

Just getting ready to take mine apart to add heavier springs. I'd like to flush the old stuff, but I've always used the same oil I was putting back in, just bought extra to do that.

• tirebiter

Posted January 19, 2007 - 05:34 AM

Thanks Max.

-Z

If you've extended the fork till oil flows out of the hole in the bottom of the inside fork tube, be sure to pop up the dust cover and clean out any oil trapped between the seal & dust cover. I forgot to do that once, the oil eventually worked it's way out, but I thought I had a blown seal..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.