Understanding AP Adjustment

6 replies to this topic
  • fordtch8

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:57 PM

I took my carb out today to change jets and I thought I would check my ap adjustment since I never have. I read the service manual and several threads but I just don't understand. The book says to turn the screw in until there is free play. Play in what? The metel adjustment linkage or the plastic arm that pushs on the rod? The more I turn the screw in the tighter everything gets. Am I understanding this correct? Someone please help me! Thanks

• compoundfracture

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:17 PM

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

Have you checked out this site yet?? it explains the procedure fairly well. I hope this helps

• fordtch8

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:56 PM

My bike is an 03. I didn't think that the bk mod works on this model year?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Look HERE for tons of info that applies to your bike. If you still have questions, post again.

• fordtch8

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Okay, found another write up on the FAQ section. This is the best explanation I have seen so far. I think I understand that you are not adjusting to free play of the actuator cam but of the rod. Is that right?

• bg10459

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Sort of. You are adjusting the free play of the linkage which pushes the rod, but there is free play in the rod itself before it actually starts moving the AP diaphragm, so, in essence, yes. In other words, you could have free play between the linkage and the cam follower (which has the adjustment screw) and also between the rod and the diaphragm.

• fordtch8

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Think I now understand. Puttin it back together now. Thanks for the help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.