Spark Arrestor

11 replies to this topic
  • dbehr624

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:07 PM

I am going to be getting a YZ450F some time in the future and was wondering about spark arrestors. Can I just get an insertable one or do i have to get one of those PMB ones. I dont want to buy a new pipe since i am running low on funds and the bike is powerful enough. Thanks for any input

Would this Spark arrestor work on the stock exhaust. It says GYTR but would it still work???

• LostG8R2002

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'm looking at the same thing for my YZ400F... but I can't tell if I have that specific one or not... the other option is the end cap replacement from Pro Billet (I think that's who has them) but $30 is cheaper then $120 or so.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:35 PM

PMB is the way to go. Their (PMB's) insert looks almost the same as GYTR, unfortunately the GYTR only works in a GYTR exhaust, nowhere for it to go in a stock pipe.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yep, unless you have a GYT-R pipe you can't use the GYT-R spark arrestor. The PMB seems well worth it to me, but I haven't even started my bike since I installed it. If you get the PMB, go for the new cone style, they are trick looking.

• idahoexcr500

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:23 AM

I have a PMB SA on the end of my stock silencer. Virtually no power difference than the stock tip. Well worth the money.

• rooster wrooster

Posted April 20, 2006 - 06:50 AM

This is what the pmb spark arrestor and endcap looks like on the '06.

http://i13.photobuck...do/IMG_3502.jpg

http://i13.photobuck...do/IMG_3503.jpg

I also got the quiet insert but I didn't notice a reduction in noise but I did notice a reduction in power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RIDE 13

Posted April 20, 2006 - 10:00 AM

:confused: I bought a WHITE BROS. E-2. It has spark arrester and runs about 93db.I have not noyiced any power loss :thumbsup: Pipe was $359 at moto sport outlet. :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 20, 2006 - 10:07 AM

:confused: I bought a WHITE BROS. E-2. It has spark arrester and runs about 93db.I have not noyiced any power loss :thumbsup: Pipe was $359 at moto sport outlet. :thumbsup:

That's a lot cheaper than the PMB insert. :bonk:

• dbehr624

Posted April 22, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Could I make a spark arrestor myself legally. My dad works in a machine shop so i have the materials and he has a mechanical engineering degree so i think we would be able to rig something up. But would it be legal

• cowboyona426

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:39 PM

You can rig up whatever you want, but it won't be legal. Sparkies have to be USFS tested and approved, and the muffler needs to be stamped saying so. Most people checking for sparkies will probably be able to easily tell if you rigged your stock pipe and stamped "USFS Approved" onto it. Don't risk it, just get the PMB.

• dbehr624

Posted April 23, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thanks, I thought I had heard that before but wasnt sure. But do you know why it has to say USFS. It really shouldnt matter should it?? Because if i were to make a replica of an aftermarket sparkarrestor out of the exact same material in the exact same design would it not function just the same. Sounds like somebody is on a powertrip :bonk: :confused: :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:18 AM

It has to say USFS because that is what people look for when checking for a sparky, the pipe manufacturers have them tested to see if they meet USFS requirements before releasing them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.