Towing Ideas

6 replies to this topic
  • southcamp1

Posted April 19, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Wondering what creative ways you've used to tow a broke bike. I had to tow a 450crf with an extra hole out the side cover about 1 mile out of a wash. I used a 10 foot strap from my right foot peg to his right peg (wrapped around the peg) it pulled pretty hard, and was a little tough to start. I think I ended up spinning my rear tire a little bit (just about pulled out my tube valve) ended up being a slow process which was tough on BRP. Any better methods? longer strap, type of strap? I want to prep for the possiblity of towing out of the deep ravines in Baja. Thanks

• HawkGT

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:39 PM

The tow strap I carry came with a little instruction sheet. Their suggested method for attaching the strap to the bike being towed involved 1) wrapping the strap around/through the bars along the bikes centerline, 2) then wrapping the strap around one grip, 3) and then placing a hand on that grip to secure it. The idea seemed to be that the rider on the bike being towed could leg go of that one grip and release the strap if necessary during the towing. Seemed to make sense. I forget what (if anything) they suggested for attaching the other end to the tow bike.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:20 PM

You could attach the strap on the beastly subframe (or what ever that 30 pound hunk of metal that supports the rear fender is called) to the bars like hawk said. This would keep the strap from getting caught in the tire and what not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:22 PM

And I was talking about the L there, im not sure if the aluminum subframe on a R could take that.

• Kritter

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Peg to peg works best IMO. Peg to bar of towed bike (wrapped thru bar clamp then over grip)works second best.

• motomonte

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:02 AM

The tow strap I carry came with a little instruction sheet. Their suggested method for attaching the strap to the bike being towed involved 1) wrapping the strap around/through the bars along the bikes centerline, 2) then wrapping the strap around one grip, 3) and then placing a hand on that grip to secure it. The idea seemed to be that the rider on the bike being towed could leg go of that one grip and release the strap if necessary during the towing. Seemed to make sense. I forget what (if anything) they suggested for attaching the other end to the tow bike.

Just in case,it will be better if you wrap the line to your LEFT grip since you'll be needing your front brake and also not wrecking your throttle.BE SAFE :thumbsup:

• Kwazimoto

Posted April 21, 2006 - 05:28 PM

I vote against the wrap around hand grip method. My son ran out of gas on his Beemer-decided I`d have him tow me(more experience)-bad move.It went OK for a while,then he pulled to side of road-when pulling back out,he didnt tell me and pulled bike right out from under me on an angle.If you do use this method,make sure to COMMUNCATE!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.