Heavy wind moves bike around a lot

23 replies to this topic
  • Jawmail

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Why so much movement ? Seems like the tires are rolling over when you get hit from the side. I've got the 22 psi that Honda says, should there be more.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:02 AM

Its tall, for a streetbike.
And its really light, for a streetbike.

And it has large, high fenders.
And airscoops.

be glad it stays on the ground!

Dave

• goblin127

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Its tall, for a streetbike.
And its really light, for a streetbike.

And it has large, high fenders.
And airscoops.

be glad it stays on the ground!

Dave

What Dave said but you could try running higher air preasure on the street.I've been keeping it about 28psi on the street.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:51 AM

Why so much movement ? Seems like the tires are rolling over when you get hit from the side. I've got the 22 psi that Honda says, should there be more.

Just what XR650L_Dave said but also try lowering the air pressure in the tires.

The most I run in the XRL is 15 psi for all conditions & about 11 - 12 for off-roading. Point being is lower pressures (on-road) provide a larger contact path & more friction or grip. That's my take & DS $0.02.

• rkuckkahn

Posted April 19, 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hmmm, I'd say 28 lbs is too much, you need a little give in the rubber.

Any bike I've ever been on is a little touchy in stiff wind, side wind in particular, even a hog. The height and profile of a dual sport will likewise be even more touchy. I don't hop on the street with my L going over 45mph in 30+ mph wind. Stay off it in sub 30 degree days or snow and ice too. It's just not made for all conditions or maybe I'm just not made for all conditions.

• goblin127

Posted April 19, 2006 - 12:06 PM

When I ride on the road (most of the time) I go with the higher psi just like I would on the road bike,to low =higher tire temps and squashy feel. Now if I am not rideing far and I'm going to be off road I go with the 15psi rule.

• ghoti

Posted April 19, 2006 - 12:13 PM

I commute on mine and feel like a cork in the ocean in traffic on the highway. The turbulence bugs me more than riding leaned over 5º.

• Mooncruiser

Posted April 21, 2006 - 10:39 PM

I have the same problem. I ride mine about 60/40 highway and dirt. I just ordered a Scotts Steering Damper and hope it'll allieviate the problem.

I think a lot of it is the high C.G. and the rake/trail set steep. I tried a induced wobble in the bike the other day at about 50, and it got nasty fast..-Potential tank-slapper with just a little imput. That ain't gonna fly.

As for wind (Crosswinds, semi's, etc) Not much can be done there except ride alert.

Chip

• paulthelefty

Posted April 21, 2006 - 11:26 PM

Welccome to street riding; get used to it!

Paul

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:18 AM

Do like me, gain enough weight to hold the ole L down. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wickedsprint

Posted April 22, 2006 - 01:36 PM

I've ridden mine when gusting over 35kts (all crosswind), no biggie.

• Flatland

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Crosswinds defininatly let you know how tall the XRL is. I rode from Atlanta to north Ohio in a day, thunder storms the whole way. After Cincinatti the wind got really intense. I LOVED IT! On interstates I like to put my feet on the passenger pegs and lean down. Doing this helps me keep the high CG stable while the bottom of the bike sweeps some in the gusts.

• towm4n

Posted November 13, 2008 - 09:02 AM

Try this next time: when you get hit by a the wind turn your leg outwards from the bike (like knee down turn on a sport bike with no lean) on the side where the wind is coming from (wind is coming from the left moves you to the right, turn your left leg), I know it sounds funny but it works, the added air resistance to the side will help you balance the wind out. :thumbsup:

• EXxrldtgnow300dtg

Posted November 13, 2008 - 09:10 AM

I've got an even bigger complaint. I took the day off last week to ride up North and hit my favorite trail, wearing my off road helmet. Everytime a semi would go by in th opposite direction, I got hit with a big wall of air that snaped my head back and darn near pops my ears. You're just riding along, then BAM, WTH:lol:

The XRL is an extremely light and tall bike and it's going to catch some wind, it's like a sail. The big floppy Donkey **** of a front fender doesn't help, nor do the Now new with WINGS on the tank help. But I still love it!!!!

• chakaxr650l

Posted November 13, 2008 - 09:16 AM

I removed the elephant ears and replaced the donkey **** with a crf230 fender. IMHO it really helped. I ride 80% off road and generally stay off the highway with the non dot tires.

• Remington

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:26 AM

+1 on the removal of the heat shrouds and the swapping of the fenders. (No I'm not getting back in to the heat shroud thing again yall).

For the gusty helmet whip, If its an MX style helm take the visor off. You'll find you can even look over you shoulder do'n 80 with no tugg'n on yer dome.

• chakaxr650l

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Forgot to mention that the only problem with the crf230 fender is that when I get back on the tarmac the tire flings dirt up and into my face until it clears. No big deal for me, but something to consider.

• HeadTrauma

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Mine squirms around in high wind as well. It's just a fact of life with a tall dirt-oriented bike.

If you think it's bad at ~60mph, try reaching for 100 in a gusty 20-30 crosswind....on knobbies. :thumbsup:

• chakaxr650l

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:50 AM

If you think it's bad at ~60mph, try reaching for 100 in a gusty 20-30 crosswind....on knobbies. :thumbsup:

Tried that in light wind. :moon: I like my skin on my bones.

• Remington

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:52 AM

Nah.... Skin is way over rated. :thumbsup:

If ya get a big gust remember to click yer heels and say, "there's no place like home".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.