EBC oversized brake rotor kit

29 replies to this topic
  • sorenlaf

Posted April 19, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Never took physics. And it's WELL known in the car world that larger,(or slotted or drilled) rotors are nothing but bling.
CALIPERS do the work.

I'm afraid you're under some misconceptions.

Calipers apply the force, but rotors sink the heat. Both are involved in doing the work.

Larger rotors most definately help, because that's how the heat is removed from the brake system. They cool better and thus take longer to fade. This is a real, measureable, and well known effect in the real car world, the one where people drive on race tracks and try to go fast.

Put it this way, if you were right, all car rotors would be 6" in diameter to reduce unsprung weight.

Slotting/drilling is of some minimal value, but mostly affects initial wet performance and green fade.

Suggest you read the Carroll Smith "... to Win" series of books, you might learn something.

--Soren

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Plus they look way cooler and chicks dig em. :thumbsup:

OOOO! That's a big disk you've got there!

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I have two oversize EBC rotors. The 280 for the dirt and the 320 for my supermoto set up. I once tried to run the 280 for a couple laps at the track with the SM wheels and it turned into a warped onion ring in less than half a lap. The 320 with the same caliper has no warping and I can do stoppies with it (purely by accident). Conversely, the big rotor is useless in the dirt as it just locks the front wheel with even the slightest squeeze on the lever. It' s all about leverage and heat dissipation. Bigger calipers help too but the size of the rotor is definitely important.

BTW, I had to file my stock rotor slightly to clear the big rotor but not the 280.

• Max Power

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:44 PM

OOOO! That's a big disk you've got there!

Posted Image

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:26 AM

I'm affraid to look!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motochris

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Sorry, but I just don't see that. The rotor does NOTHING. It doesn't move, it doesn't apply force. The calipers squeeze the pads against them. Nothing more. The calipers are what you upgrade if you want more stopping power.

Here's a way to see the "leverage factor" for yourself. Go put the bike on a stand, front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel and then stop it by grabbing the spokes near the rim. Now try it again, only try grabbing the spokes near the hub. You will now see the advantage of a larger rotor....it's all leverage.

• BWB63

Posted April 20, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Plus they look way cooler and chicks dig em. :thumbsup:

I have bought into that size dosn't matter and I would be fine.....now I have a complex again. I wish I had a big disk also.

• MindBlower

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Here's a way to see the "leverage factor" for yourself. Go put the bike on a stand, front wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel and then stop it by grabbing the spokes near the rim. Now try it again, only try grabbing the spokes near the hub. You will now see the advantage of a larger rotor....it's all leverage.

Thanks to those of you willing to teach the less educated of us out here. :thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I have bought into that size dosn't matter and I would be fine.....now I have a complex again. I wish I had a big disk also.

Size does matter brudda. Believe me. :thumbsup:

• XR_mad

Posted April 21, 2006 - 12:11 AM

Thanks to those of you willing to teach the less educated of us out here. :thumbsup:

well you help us on issues you know about

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.