LED Tail/Brake Light Install

69 replies to this topic
  • ProMed

Posted July 03, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Satisfied customer here as well, thanks Forest!

• MindBlower

Posted July 04, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks to everyone that has taken interest in the Moto LED Tail Light Inner Kit !!
The D45-19-011 does fit the XR650,and the Super XR 250/Baja-02 TT-R250,DT230,KDX220SR, and the KLX250.
I will have a pic of the license plate light soon, have them,just no pic yet.

Fg

Got a pic yet?

• MindBlower

Posted July 04, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I have the BD quick release kit with 2 tailights. Anyone put these in place of the stock bulbs in both locations?

• TheWolf

Posted July 06, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Very nice, I want to install one of these, triggered from the front and rear brake. I need two of the banjo type m10-1.25 switches, is that correct?

• rockn6gs

Posted July 06, 2006 - 08:20 PM

I have only done the rear brake and you might want to go with the bolt type. I had a clearance problem with the banjo type. The bolt type made for a cleaner install.

http://www.wheelingc...AAAAV-11442.jpg

• TheWolf

Posted July 06, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Ahh, good to know, thanks! Ordered the bolt style. And The shipping calculator is still broken...

• MindBlower

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Does this place have replacements for the turn signal bulbs? There is another thread with a link to some, but it would be nice to order it all from one place and not pay double shipping.

• garyparnell

Posted August 30, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Hello
So what drc products part number do i need to order for my xr650r 2004

Thanks Gary

• BIGGITY

Posted May 17, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Ordered mine and can't wait. Hope my stock stator has enough juice to use this. :)

• zrt1

Posted May 17, 2007 - 08:03 PM

Ordered mine from Forest on Monday and recieced it thursday, works great with the stock stator, fits good and was a piece of cake to install and Forest was pretty cool on the phone. Props..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lucky13

Posted May 21, 2007 - 05:04 PM

Is this a "just enough to be legal" mod? "Really" useful for street use? Is it as bright as the BD tailight (normal one, not LED) Would love to lose the bulky BD unit, but have no desire to be rear ended.

I have the BD LED tailight, and Forest's LED seems brighter to me than the BD taillight. I have them both hooked up to work as running and stop light. Works a charm!

BTW, called on Wednesday afternoon, was in my hands by Friday!!!!!

Thanks Forrest!

• BIGGITY

Posted May 24, 2007 - 04:19 PM

So I got my LED lights and of course I'm having problems. This is not because of the product. It is because I'm electrically inept. I installed everything last night and there was enough charge in the battery to run the tailight and for the brake light to work when I tapped the rear brake(this is w/o the bike running).

Stoked! Everything works and I'm ready to roll.

So I hop on this morning, for my commute to work, and as soon as I fire it up I lose all of my lights. No blinkers, headlight, or tailight.:)

So now I'm confused. I have the BD DS set-up so let's see if someone can help.

So I have two wires coming from the rear brake (red & Blue). I would assume that the red wire from the LED light would go in the red plug. Then the black wire would go into the black plug (the same one my regular bulb w/ the black wire came out of). Now I have the yellow one left over(LED) and I'm assumng that would go into the blue plug (brake wire).

But I get nothing and this is with the bike running. So I pull out the red and yellow and reverse them. Nothing. :ride:

I'm confused. Here's some pictures to see if you guys can help.

Here is the black wire. The two wires at the joint go to the rear blinkers. The other joint splits to go to the black box and I assume the black led wire goes in the open side.
Posted Image

Here is the two wires coming off the rear brake. I would assume the red wire from the led would go in the red wire from the brake.:bonk:

Posted Image

Here is the LEd wires..

http://img.photobuck...an/LEDWires.jpg

Like I said I am electrically inept. Help!

• mikesbaron

Posted March 26, 2008 - 04:43 PM

I can't help you on your wiring as I'm just installing mine as we speak but for others for the XR650R spec you want the LED kit that ends with 11, the other kit that ends with 10 won't fit the XR taillight but like all things could easily be modded to fit. It could also work on other bikes pretty easily as I know that's been asked before. On here.

• cornfed

Posted April 05, 2009 - 10:05 PM

I recently bought an LED tail/brake light along with a hydraulic pressure switch from http://www.wheelingc...com/index.shtml

The setup is clean and everything fits inside the existing lens.

I purchased Part Number D45-DTL-9110. It bolts right in where the existing rubber fingers hang down off the stock bulb setup.

Wiring was simple.

Black on the LED to Green on the XR650R
Yellow on the LED to Brown on the XR650R
Red on the LED to the Hydraulic Brake switch
Other lead from the Hydraulic Brake Switch to Brown on the XR650R

Just installed the LED Tail/Brake light (part number is D45-DTL-9110 for XR650R)from wheelingcyclesupply.com. Forrest is the man!! The wiring instructions quoted above from vmaxcbr900wr426 made a job that could have turned into a major catastrophe for someone who does not savvy wiring, to a fairly simple task. The only thing I could add is in regards to the K & S Hydraulic Brake Light Switch. Both of the leads from the Brake switch are black, and I found that it doesn't matter which lead you connect to the brown wire on the bike, and the red wire on the LED. Also, you have to connect both the yellow wire from the LED and the second black lead from the brake switch to the brown wire from the bike. I was able to combine the yellow and black wires into the same connection that was supplied with the LED. I did have to trim off both of the connectors from the brake switch and replace with a smaller size, also supplied with the LED.

At this point, I am very happy with and would highly recommend this mod.

• XRMauser

Posted December 03, 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hi guys,
I have emailed the US supplier of the lights twice now and not a single reply :thumbsup:.
I was after the rear LED light Part # D45-19-011
Cannot find 1 of these over here in the UK, can anyone help me get 1 from somewhere ?
I am all set-up for road use now 2 new pressure switches fitted just need a decent rear brake/tail light

• akarob

Posted December 03, 2010 - 05:56 AM

You could use the WPS XR style tail light and instead of the standard 1157 bulb, use a 1157 LED replacement bulb in it. Just a thought.

Here's a link to the bulb. I just got one in the mail yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://www.superbrig...2Disp=/1157.htm

• gunmanguns

Posted December 03, 2010 - 09:16 AM

i did this mod 6 months ago and its still running strong.

my first one came with a led broken off, forest didn't hesitate to send a new one. thanks Forest now its time for some zeta bark busters.

• XRMauser

Posted December 03, 2010 - 11:05 AM

i did this mod 6 months ago and its still running strong.

my first one came with a led broken off, forest didn't hesitate to send a new one. thanks Forest now its time for some zeta bark busters.

Well this Forest must exist but seems to ignore emails from little old me ?.
How can I order something from the US if the guy won't reply, would rather stop with the proper DRC item D45-19-011

• MetricThump

Posted December 10, 2010 - 12:02 AM

I would love for this to work with my WPS tail light for my 650L, I need to take it apart and see what I can do!!

• XRMauser

Posted December 10, 2010 - 02:51 AM

I would love for this to work with my WPS tail light for my 650L, I need to take it apart and see what I can do!!

I hope you have better luck with Forest than I do, emailed him weeks ago and still not even a single reply.
Poor show all round :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.