LED Tail/Brake Light Install

69 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:11 AM

Is this a "just enough to be legal" mod? "Really" useful for street use? Is it as bright as the BD tailight (normal one, not LED) Would love to lose the bulky BD unit, but have no desire to be rear ended.

• jwriott

Posted April 21, 2006 - 09:45 AM

In all honesty, I have not seen the BD unit so I'm not sure. I was surprised how bright it is.

• bork

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Is this a "just enough to be legal" mod? "Really" useful for street use? Is it as bright as the BD tailight (normal one, not LED) Would love to lose the bulky BD unit, but have no desire to be rear ended.

LED should be brighter if done properly. Just look at all the truckers using them . :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted April 22, 2006 - 08:22 AM

LED should be brighter if done properly. Just look at all the truckers using them . :thumbsup:

The truckers using them is part brightness, part that they last 'forever' so maintenance goes away and part the reduced electical needed to operate them.
The ones I have seen all have specially designed housings that 'help' the LED's specific advantages/disadvantages. LIttle plastic 'dimples' that extend past the tailight surface and just about reach the tip of the LED's that I assume diffuses the light, spreading each one out a bit. Highly polished, very see through type lense housings. They're also highly directional, I have several very nice and bright LED lights on my bikes and they practically disappear as you move much off center from dead behind. Just something to be aware of and check out.
If nothing else you could help them out (and even the stocker) by spending 1/2 an hour polishing that stock lens up. It makes a pretty amazing difference on the car taillights I've done, so i assume it would be the same, maybe even moreso given the lower output.

It looks like a great mod for most situations. Mine is going to be 90% street so I want all the light I can get. Being rearended sounds like a real drag to me. :thumbsup:

• adam574

Posted April 22, 2006 - 01:10 PM

i am pretty sure the bd tail light on the quick release kit is the led one right? is it not that bright?

• wickedsprint

Posted April 22, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Kinda similar to mine, although I am using two 194 stye sockets.

• CJPilot

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:18 PM

I just finished putting on the BajaDesigns LED taillight and it is much brighter and noticable than the previous bulb version I had on there. Now if I had seen this thread about a week ago, I wouln't have had to order one! :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted April 22, 2006 - 07:30 PM

The brake light is WAY brighter than the running light.

• creamcheese

Posted April 25, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Recently recieved a new shipment of the inner tail kits. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Fg
info@wheelingcyclesupply.com

• togo54

Posted April 26, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Recently recieved a new shipment of the inner tail kits. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Fg
info@wheelingcyclesupply.com

Any chance of one of these fitting a KLR650 (even if I need to make a mount)? This combined with a LED modulator would be considerably less than the overpriced $85 Dual-Star KLR650 LED brake light.

Thanks,
Tom

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRidiculous

Posted April 26, 2006 - 06:05 PM

To all,

"FG", "Cream Cheese"-is Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply. I just ordered a LED Taillight Assembly, and some LED Blinkers. I'm putting it all on a CEMOTO Rear Fender, with an Acerbis Fender Brace, to update the 600.

I'll take pictures when I get it all done.

• jwriott

Posted April 27, 2006 - 06:13 AM

Any chance of one of these fitting a KLR650 (even if I need to make a mount)? This combined with a LED modulator would be considerably less than the overpriced $85 Dual-Star KLR650 LED brake light.

Thanks,
Tom

What does an LED Modulator do????

• togo54

Posted April 28, 2006 - 06:52 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

• jwriott

Posted April 29, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Interesting. Thanks. :crazy:

• MindBlower

Posted April 29, 2006 - 08:12 AM

I've used the "back off" version of that for years on the high mount brake light on my Miata. Very nice.

• YUKI

Posted April 29, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Are the LED backlight street legal?

• Kenaroo

Posted June 04, 2006 - 03:02 PM

just got mine installed. Forrest is great.. got it to me very quickly.

Yes... the LED are street legal.

One thing is that you may need a white light to illuminate your plate at night. I will be drilling a hole in my light cover and placing a single white led to illuminate my license plate at night.

• rockn6gs

Posted June 15, 2006 - 02:21 PM

Bump for Forrest great service and very pleasant to deal with :excuseme:

• rockn6gs

Posted July 03, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Forrest
Thanks Again for the great service. I received the replacement taillight today. Do you want me to send the other one back to you??

• ponq

Posted July 03, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I too am a satisfied customer.

Thanks Forest

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.