can you have your forks done? without ruining the cali sticker?

8 replies to this topic
  • threelittlepigs

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:48 AM

i took my bike to reno motor sports to have my forks redone, and they completely wiped out my calif. sticker. are they total rookies, or am i just an idiot? i asked them about it, and they just said sorry, not our problem.....

• cleonard

Posted April 17, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have a plated bike, but the best plan that I have heard it to use clear packing tape to attach the sticker to the fork tube. Don't actually put the sticker on the fork. Leave the film that covers the glue on the sticker. Then use the clear packing tape. Now it's easy to remove. Maybe not technically legal, but it's darn near impossible to tell.

• qadsan

Posted April 17, 2006 - 04:44 PM

Here's what I've done on all our bikes for umteen years. Go to your local hardware store and buy a pack of fluorescent tube guards. They're clear polycarbonate sleeves that fit over the long fluorescent light bulbs. Cut a piece of this clear tubing guard to the length of your fork tube between the upper and lower clamps. Slice it down the center lengthwise so you can easily put it over your fork tube. Put your green sticker on this tubing guard that's on the fork tube. Anytime you need to service your fork, simply slide off the tubing guard with your green sticker on it. You can tie strap it on for better security. The fact that this tubing guard is clear makes it look like your sticker is stuck to the fork leg and I've never yet been hasseled or questioned on this in the 20+ years I've used this trick.

• nate992v

Posted April 17, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Put the sticker on the lower fork tube, close to the axle. If you still have what's left of the sticker, use the packing tape method until it's up for renewal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • threelittlepigs

Posted April 17, 2006 - 05:05 PM

thanks for the idea of using the tube guards, as for lowering the sticker,the info on the back says that it is invalid if not placed at the top, and no, there is nothing left of the old one.....bummer, oh well, just another pain in my wallet. at least this kind of stuff, keeps being poor alot more exciting....

• Docmarkw

Posted April 17, 2006 - 05:39 PM

In California you can buy a replacement sticker for I believe $5. Hopefully Nevada is similar.

• cleonard

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:13 PM

I suggested the tape method, because the law states that the sticker must be permanently attached to the bike. I've been with friends on green stickered bikes who were hassled with the "fluorescent tube guard" method. The rangers at Gorman wouldn't let them ride because of it.

• qadsan

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Technically it should be affixed directly to the fork leg as you said, but I've never been hassled and I've been to Gorman dozens of times and inspected by rangers, etc.

All it takes is running into the one ranger that will hassle you about anything and everything and I've been there and done that once to the point where it could have become physical if things were pushed a bit further on his end, but I still had no issues with my tube guard during that encounter. Most of the times the rangers have been terrific to deal with and I appreciate their service, but there are rare occassions when I've had to deal with a power tripping jerk that doesn't know his azz from the hole in the ground.

• Jon-D

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:28 PM

I suggested the tape method, because the law states that the sticker must be permanently attached to the bike. I've been with friends on green stickered bikes who were hassled with the "fluorescent tube guard" method. The rangers at Gorman wouldn't let them ride because of it.

that's interesting to hear. it has been a few years since I rode Gorman, but there were a couple of times I had not attached my new green sticker and the rangers said the older sticker was fine (since I had the new one at home), but their main concern was to make sure I had a spark arrestor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.