valve adj. for 06 450

31 replies to this topic
  • RIDE 13

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I am a proud owner of 06 450 spl. ed.My question is,has anyone had to ajust their valves yet?

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:04 AM

I rather doubt it. I haven't had to adjust my '03 yet.

• SureBlue

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I never had to adjust my '02 426 or '04 450 valves, and I doubt I will need to do it on my '06 450 before I buy a '08 450.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted April 17, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I am a proud owner of 06 450 spl. ed.My question is,has anyone had to ajust their valves yet?

It's a Yamaha not a Honda.

• Butta

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:31 AM

It's a Yamaha not a Honda.

Well put....

However, check the clearances periodically. I checked my '05 at 50 hours because I felt really guilty for not checking them yet....still in spec like I hoped/expected, but it took a load off my mind.

• cooplege

Posted April 18, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Hey Scooter! :thumbsup:

Yeah I think that Yamaha has the valve life down... I believe that they use magic everytime they put a motor together at the factory. :thumbsup:

dark magic...

• NOMADAK

Posted April 18, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Magic?? maybe

Excellent engineering....most definately. The 5 valve head hearkens back to 1985, in the FZ750.

The 5 valve head allows for the use of lighter, smaller valves. The total surface area is greater than 4 valves however. That they use titanium stock....another big plus.

I owned a 1990FZR1000 which I put several tens of thousands of miles on. The maintenance interval for checking valves was 26,000 miles. They never needed adjusting.

Check them occasionally for peace of mind. :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted April 18, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Magic?? maybe

I owned a 1990FZR1000 which I put several tens of thousands of miles on. The maintenance interval for checking valves was 26,000 miles. They never needed adjusting.

Check them occasionally for peace of mind. :thumbsup:

I have an '03 FZ-1 with 22,000 on it right now with ZERO issues. Excellent quality and outstanding performance. Valve adj sched is also at 26k, coming up soon.

:thumbsup:

• bryant40

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I've put about 20 hours on my '06 450 and with my recent 19yr old college financial situation I can barly afford to keep gas in it. After break in "you're supposed to have the vavles checked and/or adjusted." This is the only piece of reccomended maintanance that I cannot do in my garage. I checked with all the local dealers, cheapest I can find for a vavle adjustment is around $240 bucks. I am a month from having that kind of extra money. I really do not want to take a month off riding, that would hurt. After reading this post, I am more confident in stringing out my vavle check...now i'm wandering should I even do it? I've never owned a racing 4-stroke before, and just spent over 6 grand for this bike, so I don't want to risk its health in any way.
What do you guys suggest?

• SurvivorMan

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:32 PM

When the bike gets hard to start or doesn't want to idle properly its time to shim the valves (check clearances). don't worry about it until then, or read your manual and set aside 2 or 3 hours and check them yourself....it's actually pretty easy. Just get some small feeler gauges (small as in really thin)...well, and some other basic tools.
learning how to work on your bike is just as important as learning how to ride it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NOMADAK

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:47 AM

I totally agree with Albertabigdog, this isn't rocket science. You need to acquire some mechanical skills if you are going to own a bike such as a YZ450. Your bike came with a fantastic manual that can walk you through pretty much any procedure. The gauges are inexpensive.....hopefully you have some tools to get the bike apart.....if not.....that $240 you were mentioning would be better spent on tools.

Maybe a local tt member with some experience could come help you out. NETWORK!

• cooplege

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:02 AM

Agreed. It is super easy to check them yourself. I don't think you will find much how-to info in here though, so read your manual or look at the CRF or RMZ forums and there is hundreds of "valve shim" topics and threads as it seems to be a common issue with those bikes. On my RMZ I have checked my valves 5 times, and have had to re-shim the intakes twice in the year I have owned it. The exhaust are still in spec.

Super easy, really. A few minutes to check your valves, and a couple hours to do valve adjustment.
Its just sort of a non-issue with Yamahas in my opinion.
Go ride the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

• wpsnowman

Posted April 19, 2006 - 08:40 AM

2001 YZ426 never had to adj valves yet. 2001 YZFR1 checked valves but never had to adj.

• RIDE 13

Posted April 19, 2006 - 11:39 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for everyones input!! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2006 - 12:17 PM

The 5 valve head allows for the use of lighter, smaller valves. The total surface area is greater than 4 valves however. That they use titanium stock....another big plus.

The theory that the 5 valve design makes them last longer keeps floating to the surface, but the smaller/lighter thing doesn't hold up very well when you start comparing the valves in a YZ450 to those of a CRF250.

Titanium is what Honda's valves are made of, too. But is it the same grade as Yamaha's? Is it treated the same? Is the hard coating as hard and as thick? Are the seats made as well? Something has to be different, don't you think?

The truth is frankly too simple for most people to accept (especially non-Yamaha owners): Uncompromising quality of the design, the materials used, and the manufacturing processes employed. It's not magic, it's not voodoo, it's not dumb luck, it's just good stuff put together right, and with no shortcuts.

• Mikeanic

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:19 PM

Keep in mind that I am an ex Honda rider . I'm checked the valves on my 06 YZF450 after approx 4 hrs. The LT intake was .003" C & RT were .004" . One EX was .007" the other .008" I set all the intakes to .005 " and the exhaust to .009" . Wanted to start at an even base setting and hopefully never look at it again . Valve durability is one reason that I went to Yamaha .

• NOMADAK

Posted April 20, 2006 - 10:55 PM

Welcome MikeL! Good info. Hope you are happy on a tuning fork bike! What are your impressions so far.

Keep us informed of what you find next time you open her up to check the valves again.

I have less time than you on my SE...going to open it up monday after my 5th hour and see what I find.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 21, 2006 - 05:12 AM

Welcome MikeL! Good info. Hope you are happy on a tuning fork bike! What are your impressions so far.

Keep us informed of what you find next time you open her up to check the valves again.

I have less time than you on my SE...going to open it up monday after my 5th hour and see what I find.

Nomadak - looking forward to reading about the 06 clean bill of health report -

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 21, 2006 - 11:26 AM

The truth is frankly too simple for most people to accept (especially non-Yamaha owners): Uncompromising quality of the design, the materials used, and the manufacturing processes employed. It's not magic, it's not voodoo, it's not dumb luck, it's just good stuff put together right, and with no shortcuts.

And that equals brand loyalty and peace of mind. Peace of mind on a long trail ride is priceless, frankly.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:32 PM

I just bought an '06 YZ450F Special edition today. It's the first bike I bought for myself since my '01 YZ426F back in '00.
I am amazed at the ease of starting, the weight difference and the huge difference in power.
I just checked the valves again today on my 426F today in preparation to sell it and they are still within spec. I only had to adjust the intake valves one time in all those years.
This is the 6th Yamaha I have bought in the last 6 years and the number one reason I buy Yamaha is reliability.
:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.