06 fork seals - how many of you already had to get new ones?

8 replies to this topic
  • Reyndogg

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Just wondering... I know of 5 bikes that have had to get the seals replaced.

Mine: 29.8hrs.
Forks were serviced, resprung, revalved at 5hrs. OEM seals were not replaced as far as I know, or at least fork seals aren't on the receipt.

$132.05 for new seals. Does that seem high for 2 fork seals w/forks off the bike and carried in?

• jgerdi

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:28 AM

132.00 sounds high, but I have a buddy that can change the fork seals while were talking about the local weather and hand them back to me. Last time I think he charged me 40- 50 bucks.
First are you sure they're bad ? Pull the dust cover and use a feeler gage to remove dirt that some times cause the seal to leak.
4 strokes pipes always cherry up. Make sure you can handle the bike with the power it has before you start upgrading.

-------
06 450LE mine
00 triumph sprint 995 mine
04 rm 125 daughter
04 cr 85x daughter
04 cr 85 son
04 crf 150 wife

• yami racer

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Yup...Had to replace mine with 20 hours on the bike...Oh well...its easy enough..

• Reyndogg

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:57 AM

First are you sure they're bad ? Pull the dust cover and use a feeler gage to remove dirt that some times cause the seal to leak.

the two large pools of fork oil in the bed of my truck was proof enough to me. Yes, i use a fork brace during transport.

4 strokes pipes always cherry up. Make sure you can handle the bike with the power it has before you start upgrading.

:thumbsup: thanks for the tips, though i think you completely missed the sarcasm in my sig line :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Norman

Posted April 17, 2006 - 02:59 PM

James, Ive had mine changed but it was because I sent them to be revalved 3 times, on the 3rd I asked for new seals. I thought it was kinda odd that they didnt change them the first time.

• matt116

Posted April 17, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Mine leak to, I usually pull the dust seal and clean the oil seal after ever ride.
Yamaha probably went with a "low stiction" seal, this would help with the forks initial movement which is felt on the small bumps.

• DPW

Posted April 17, 2006 - 03:48 PM

mine went at 10hrs replaced them with new ones when I had it serviced.

• matt113

Posted April 17, 2006 - 03:53 PM

i got qouted $150 for both seals carrying the forks in.. i just didnt feel like doing it myself but after hearing that price, i just decided to do it my self.. it's really not that hard.. i just get lazy sometimes

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 17, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Nope, no problems here. Been riding my 06 since late November practically every weekend. When I did my 03 WR it was $32.00 for seals and I did it myself, pretty easy job too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.