XR600r chain choice

Just got my new Vortex sprockets and chain from 'sumofallparts' e-bay store. The chain is a RK GB520MXZ3. I guess I didn't do my homework because I was surprised to find it is a non o-ring, heavy duty chain.

So I'm kinda clueless here. Why would I want to choose an $80 heavy-duty chain over something with o-rings or better still X-ring (or whatever is even better) for the same kind of money?? I'm going to get a lot less miles out of this thing right?

Other sites i've searched say this chain is for high-end motorcrossers. I'm not one of those guys. I live in Tucson AZ and like my desert and trail riding, but I'm not racing anyone.

Am I better off trying to exchange this for somethign else???

Cheers

That's what I was thinking. Why do they market this as the "Pro" motocrossers choice? Because they can change their chain after every ride I'm guessing.

I've read somewhere that you're lucky to get 5K out of a non o-ring chain even with the very best care.

I got an Oring chain and both sprockets for my 600 from rocky mountain ATv.I think the chain and sprockets were about 75 bucks plus shipping....They had 2 or 3 to choose from,and i just picked the o-ring chain that was the most expensive.....Tom

I have been using RK520SO chains for quite a few years with a steel rear sprocket, no complaints.

I tried a Krause chain. Worst thing I ever did. Had to adjust on trail about 4 times first ride. I thought after break-in, the stretch would slow up. WRONG ! Now I had to get new sprokets again but with Oring chain. Rarely adjust now. I'm one happy rooster!!!

I had always heard that O-ring chains attracted dirt (lube), and were a no-no for sand/off road stuff. Waht are your inputs?

Thats all I ride in (sand & more sand) did I say more sand? Gets old but better than agood day at work. All I know is, this is my first oring chain and I'm thrilled. Rarely adjust, so I translate to not much getting in rollers & thus minimal wearing and adjusting out slack. (My .02) ?

Suposedly the o-ring chains generate more "drag" thus robbing horsepower thru frction,thats why some pros prefer it over the o-ringed ones.Personaly I prefer the o-ring chains.They will hold all the abuse of mud,water even sand tough you'll have to take a litlle more maintenance when riding in sand.Don't use very thick or viscous lubes.As someone said earlier just spray it with some wd-40 and clen it with a rag. Beware of pressure washers since they can force the debris past the rings,also if using a brush to clean hard muck be sure it is made of soft bristels so as not to damage the rubber.Good luck and happy rooooosting. ?

I've sent the MXZ3 back to them and they are replacing for an X-ring (for another $20).

I've heard some people say that WD40 is not good for the rubber rnigs, any truth to that? You'd choose the WD40 treatment over something like Chain Wax?