Hotcams stage 1 review

6 replies to this topic
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:08 AM

I finally got a little seat time after installing and breaking in the Hotcams stage 1 for my bike. No other changes were made besides the cam. First, here's my current setup:

2002 XR650R, modified side panel, smog block off, White Bros header, "E" series with 12 discs and quiet core insert, XR's only cdi, Edelbrock carb with #21 needle, 17 clicks, full pump. Valves set to Hotcams specs of .015 and .020. I'm still not completely used to the ticking but it's better than burning valves. If I just ride around being light on the throttle it runs like it did with the stock cam with the only exception being the ticking sounds.

I can not tell any loss of low end power. In fact, the bike feels like it pulls stronger than ever as long as you're on the throttle. The engine is "snappier", and revs as fast as you can turn the throttle. My brother hopped on the bike and had the same observations, and he is very familiar with my bike and has had a fair amount of seat time on it.

Since the rain is supposed to let up here this week I'm planning on having the bike on the trail all day Friday.

So far I'm very pleased with this modification. I will also be checking the valves during every oil change. I will post any problems that arise with the cam also. I also have to add that starting the bike is still not a big deal. As long as I find tdc it starts every time. I did notice that I have to put more muscle into the kick but it's not unbearable.

• qadsan

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Make sure your valve clearances are set to 0.015mm & 0.020mm and not in inches, otherwise you'll hear a good deal of tapping. Clearances should be the same as the stock cam, which are:

INTAKE = 0.15mm +/-0.02 mm (0.006 +/-0.001 in)

EXHAUST = 0.20mm +/-0.02 mm (0.008 +/-0.001 in)

You should not loose any bottom end at all and in fact you should gain bottom and especially mid range power with this cam. In my opinion, this is the best bang for the buck in terms of price / performance :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Anyone have any dyno data for the HC stg 1??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KASUYAHO

Posted April 18, 2006 - 01:04 AM

Make sure your valve clearances are set to 0.015mm & 0.020mm and not in inches, otherwise you'll hear a good deal of tapping. Clearances should be the same as the stock cam, which are:

INTAKE = 0.15mm +/-0.02 mm (0.006 +/-0.001 in)

EXHAUST = 0.20mm +/-0.02 mm (0.008 +/-0.001 in)

You should not loose any bottom end at all and in fact you should gain bottom and especially mid range power with this cam. In my opinion, this is the best bang for the buck in terms of price / performance :thumbsup:

Quadsan, have they still got decomp with the hot cams?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 18, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Quadsan, have they still got decomp with the hot cams?

Only the manual decomp with the Hotcam. You lose the auto-decompression.

• KASUYAHO

Posted April 18, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Only the manual decomp with the Hotcam. You lose the auto-decompression.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

• Ramcc4x4

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:56 AM

I FINALLY got to trail ride my XR650R after the stage 1 install.

The bike does take "more leg" to kick, but hot or cold it usually starts first start (cold, turn up the idle and 2 blips of the throttle) hot, just kick.

Even though the cam is a stage 1 I can tell the engine has a different sound. It's not a loping idle from the cam, it just sounds "throatier".

I did have to richen the carb 2 clicks on the Edelbrock.

Someone (I think it was Quadsan) said that a cam is the best performance increase for the value. I would agree, I believe that with the hi-rev cdi, header, pipe, cam, side panel mod, etc, everything now works well as a package.

I did not lose ANY low end from the cam. The bike pulls very hard from idle on up. My only regret is not doing this when I initially uncorked the bike. I have had two other people ride my bike and they had both ridden it before the cam install. They both had the same opinion as me.

Here is what my final settings ended up being:

Edelbrock with #21 needle, 16 clicks, full accelerator pump

White Bros header, 12 discs + quiet core insert in "E" series pipe

open side panel + UNI filter

smog blockoff

Now I need to get my suspension dialed in. Can anyone recommend a suspension place for the California Bay Area?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.