Wr250 Or Wr450

31 replies to this topic
  • penney7

Posted April 22, 2006 - 05:37 PM

i drove a crf250x yesterday was awsome..i really like the 250. but i noticed it didnt have a key.....does the wr have a key?

• penney7

Posted April 30, 2006 - 04:09 PM

im starting to get the itch for a new bike...i think a 450 maybe good.

• Summit

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:02 AM

I went in to get a 250 WR last year and all the dealer had on hand was a 450 and my brother talked me into the 450. I'm over 50 years old and don't ride very aggressive but I love the 450, so glad I got it. However my brother has a YZ 426 and that thing feels so much lighter and I love the close transmission but it's tough to ride in the tight stuff for me at least. I couldn't ride it where we ride but he just hauls as$ everywhere with it.

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 05:15 AM

I must write a WR250F vs WR450F comparison one day..................

• penney7

Posted May 01, 2006 - 12:05 PM

I must write a WR250F vs WR450F comparison one day..................

you should do it soon. i havent boguht a bike yet. id be glad to here what you have to say. penney7

• TWILES

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:53 PM

PENNEY7... I'm 6'1" and 240 dressed and I bought a 450 and love it. If you are worried about too much power just leave it stock for a while. The power " feels " like it doubles when you open it up. Thats what I did. I was racing a LT500R Suzuki quad with a built motor when I was 16 and went to a Krank-It/Laeger 250R Honda after that at 17. I'm 24 now. Don't let your age scare you. Matty hit that saying that you had out grown a 250. I'm guessing by the way the 450 fells that is has around 55 max HP once you get it opened up. You can do more to get more here and there through the revs. The 250F MX bikes are showing around 35-37 HP so I'd say you could expect that with the Wr250 after a few things. For what these things cost I'd go with the one that I planned on keeping for a few years. Personally, I'd stay away from the Honda's. The only "Honda" I've EVER had that held up is the TRX450R that is BONE STOCK that my wife rides. The 250R doesn't count since the transmission was the only major Honda parts still in it. With " proper " maintainance a Yamaha will last a while.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dl19

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:07 PM

I would go with the 250 simply to increase your speed at learning to ride well. After about three years you will probably have the desire for a 450, but the 250 would last for more. I just rode a 04 WR250 for a guy who wanted me to test it out for him. He is just a cruiser semi fast back roads rider, and has not ridden for 15+ years. I was actually pretty impressed with how well the 250 performed, but it just seemed to run out of power early on open roads. On the back roads and trails it screamed, and had plenty of power to hop over rocks and ditches. I really did not notice much difference on everything other then the open roads and longer straights. The suspension seemed able to handle just about everything, but it seemed to be a little soft on a couple of drops off from road banks onto flat roads compared to my 05 450. I weigh about 225 while riding. My bud was riding my 450 while I was riding the 250, and commented how he did not notice much difference between the two. I told him on the next straight to wack it completely open after shifting into 3rd. The front came up about half way through third (because he rolled it fast instead of instant) and he let off and stopped. He said "Holy S&*% this thing is crazy theres no way I could ride this thing". So, that shows it is ridable but the power is trouble for the less experienced.

• Matty05

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:54 PM

After about three years you will probably have the desire for a 450.

3 years or 3 rides? :crazy:

but the 250 would last for more.

I don't see how you can say that when you have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move........

The 250 is a great bike though! :ride:

• penney7

Posted May 04, 2006 - 12:16 PM

3 years or 3 rides? :crazy:

I don't see how you can say that when you have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move........

The 250 is a great bike though! :ride:

well i have been riding since i was 7, an yea il be 17 in the summer, i would consider my self i pretty good rider, im not stupid i no my limits so i think i could handle a 450, im guessin it may take me a couple of weeks to get use to it. but all in all it should last a long time.

• OlaGB

Posted May 04, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Isnt this discussion actually about where this bike is supposed to be used?

Myself, i ride all over the place.. On road, off road, woods, mountains.. Everywhere.. Although i dont compete in enduro or mx on any occations.. I only ride for fun, with my street legal wr450..

And to be honest, a 250 wouldnt even be in my mind for 2 seconds if i was choosing to buy a new bike.. The 450 isnt THAT fast.. If Yamaha made a 550, NO ONE would buy a ktm 525 :crazy:

Buy the 450 if you are used to ride mx bikes.. If you compete, the stick to the bike the other riders run with on you`re local tracks.. They probably know what ccm size that fits best on that exact track.. (narrow/open etc)

• penney7

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:18 AM

Isnt this discussion actually about where this bike is supposed to be used?

Myself, i ride all over the place.. On road, off road, woods, mountains.. Everywhere.. Although i dont compete in enduro or mx on any occations.. I only ride for fun, with my street legal wr450..

And to be honest, a 250 wouldnt even be in my mind for 2 seconds if i was choosing to buy a new bike.. The 450 isnt THAT fast.. If Yamaha made a 550, NO ONE would buy a ktm 525 :crazy:

Buy the 450 if you are used to ride mx bikes.. If you compete, the stick to the bike the other riders run with on you`re local tracks.. They probably know what ccm size that fits best on that exact track.. (narrow/open etc)

i ride the bike pretty much in all places, ecept sand, i dorve a crf450r yesterday it wasnt to bad.

• penney7

Posted May 10, 2006 - 02:44 AM

i ride the bike pretty much in all places, ecept sand, i dorve a crf450r yesterday it wasnt to bad.

well i may try racing this year so im think i should get a 2006 250 thuper,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.