Wr250 Or Wr450

31 replies to this topic
  • penney7

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:05 AM

HEY GUYS im new here and on june 30 im will be buying a new bike i am sure i want to go with a yamaha. but im pndering a 250 or 450 wr. my last 2 bikes were a 2002 xr250 an a 2005 drz250. i wanted better suspension not so much the power. all my firends are riding crf230's an some guys have a 125 an a 80 2smoke. i wiegh 230pounds im 16 an abotu 5'7. i do alot of trail ridin, some road running, an my favourtie is gravel pits with hill climbs and hitten jumbs. so my question is will the wr250 be ok or will i run out of power after a year or so, and would it be ok 2make a street n trail. also will the 450 be way to much power, i dont wanna ahve the biggest bike an be a slow rider. i have been riding for 10years now. so how do you guys find the wr250 vs the wr450? thnaks

• Bamster

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:30 AM

Honestly it really depends on what kind of riding you will be doing but some people will tell you different.
I am only 170 pounds and I ride a big bore WR but I am considering moving to the 250. The riding area's I ride are very tight and technical and can be a handful on the bigger WR. Most of the people I ride with ride 250's and none are disappointed. The 250 feels much lighter and is more suited to this type of riding. This is why Yamaha makes both. If the 450 is so much better in tight stuff ,why would they make the 250? If you have more open space the big bore will make you more happy. I remember years ago before the big thumper boom (pre 1998) all the top enduro guys would take 125's out in the woods when they just wanted to have fun.

• Bamster

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Lord tunder'in jeasus bye,I just noticed you weigh 230 pounds. You may really want to consider the 450
or a KTM 300xcw and go on a diet.

• penney7

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Lord tunder'in jeasus bye,I just noticed you weigh 230 pounds. You may really want to consider the 450
or a KTM 300xcw and go on a diet.

i swear its all muscle :thumbsup: but my dr-z 250 had no trouble hauling me around. i had a gps on me goin 130km/h on pavement. i ride alot of open roads an gravel pits.

• rtdk

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:34 AM

You should check out the 250 forum, there have been many threads talking about the same question.
I personnaly prefer the 250, most of the people I ride with have the 450's.
The bike has no problem keeping up in most of the trails except in the long straights, and I am in the 200lb. range.
I seem to shift and be on the gas a lot more than the 450's but I still prefer the feeling of the lighter bikes. :thumbsup:

• penney7

Posted April 17, 2006 - 05:12 PM

You should check out the 250 forum, there have been many threads talking about the same question.
I personnaly prefer the 250, most of the people I ride with have the 450's.
The bike has no problem keeping up in most of the trails except in the long straights, and I am in the 200lb. range.
I seem to shift and be on the gas a lot more than the 450's but I still prefer the feeling of the lighter bikes. :thumbsup:

how would a yz250f handl trials an gravel pit. would it be high manithice or should it be fine. like A 2004 becasue i may by a truck. but im guonna want a bike.

• pkcof

Posted April 18, 2006 - 02:00 AM

get the 450 and be done with it - you can always ride as fast or slow as you want to, but the power is always there if you need it ! - you'll outgrow the 250 sooner or later.
Forget the YZ, they're great bikes but they are built to win races. Their suspension is built to handle doubles and triples (not so much ruts, tree roots ect ..), the motor has heaps of horsepower but not enough torque, NO button and the wrong gear ratios for trail/endure riding (IMHO). Are you convinced yet ?

• renthal1

Posted April 18, 2006 - 02:16 AM

get the 450 and be done with it - you can always ride as fast or slow as you want to, but the power is always there if you need it ! - you'll outgrow the 250 sooner or later.
Forget the YZ, they're great bikes but they are built to win races. Their suspension is built to handle doubles and triples (not so much ruts, tree roots ect ..), the motor has heaps of horsepower but not enough torque, NO button and the wrong gear ratios for trail/endure riding (IMHO). Are you convinced yet ?

• penney7

Posted April 18, 2006 - 02:27 AM

i dunno.....im noy sure if im going to buy new, so i thought of t idea of a yz250f since theres lots around, im lookin at one now that was only trail ridden, and i may use it on the track more this year sice a new one opened just 45mintues away from me.

• Bamster

Posted April 18, 2006 - 03:27 AM

A YZ is loud and should only be ridden on a track unless the noise issue is taken care of. You have lots of great riding areas in Nova Scotia and you should not risk loosing them because of noise.

you'll outgrow the 250 sooner or later.

See I told you. :thumbsup:
You do not out grow a 250. The 450 and 250 are made for different uses and different riders. I'm sure in Australia there are lots of open spaces that the 450 will shine but around here you can get caught looking like a monkey humping a football riding the 450. I must admit the new 450 does feel lighter but the 250
feels allot lighter still.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Triumphs

Posted April 19, 2006 - 12:19 PM

so how do you guys find the wr250 vs the wr450?

If you are big, like power and/or ride a lot of open terrain go for the 450. As a bonus, the newer ones are a lot better in any tight woods you will ride and feel lighter then the old 450s..albeit still not a 250 there. Conversely, the 250 is nice in those conditions but is out of its element in the fast stuff, big hills, etc. It's a matter of a best fit for YOU, as opposed to what others like...but that's why they make different sizes of bikes!

• penney7

Posted April 20, 2006 - 02:45 AM

If you are big, like power and/or ride a lot of open terrain go for the 450. As a bonus, the newer ones are a lot better in any tight woods you will ride and feel lighter then the old 450s..albeit still not a 250 there. Conversely, the 250 is nice in those conditions but is out of its element in the fast stuff, big hills, etc. It's a matter of a best fit for YOU, as opposed to what others like...but that's why they make different sizes of bikes!

well i know i can get a 2001 yz426f for a good deal and also a 2002 yz250f. both of these bieks were trial ridden. may just snag up the 426

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 03:35 AM

See I told you. :thumbsup:
You do not out grow a 250. The 450 and 250 are made for different uses and different riders. I'm sure in Australia there are lots of open spaces that the 450 will shine but around here you can get caught looking like a monkey humping a football riding the 450. I must admit the new 450 does feel lighter but the 250
feels allot lighter still.

The 250's are weak and yes, you out grow them. They lack power. They lack speed. The only way is up.
250's are girls bikes and I got my girl one accordingly! :thumbsup:

Penney is only 16, I definately think he has already out grown the 250!

• Bamster

Posted April 20, 2006 - 05:39 AM

The 250's are weak and yes, you out grow them. They lack power. They lack speed. The only way is up.

Wrong wrong. I rode an 06 WR 250 yesterday with a few free mods done and I can tell you it has more than enough power for eastern single track and feels lighter than previous models. Making any thumper feel lighter is a big bonus.
I am much faster and less wore out after riding tight technical trails on a WR 250. Anyone who has been riding for any length of time on all sizes off bikes can tell you more power makes handling more clumsy in tight sections.
Riding flat out in wide open spaces doesn't do it for me.
Hill climbing is more technique than power and the 250 has enough power but then again I am only 170 pounds.

• rtdk

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:06 AM

how would a yz250f handl trials an gravel pit. would it be high manithice or should it be fine. like A 2004 becasue i may by a truck. but im guonna want a bike.

So far my wr has handled everything :thumbsup:
Sand, gravel,mud, steeps I am very happy and would recommend it. They are 2 very different bikes 450 vs 250 you can always change if you feel that you outgrow the 250.
For the record -I like the 250 as much as I like the ladies/girls :thumbsup:

• Triumphs

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hill climbing is more technique than power and the 250 has enough power but then again I am only 170 pounds.

But the question is....what does our original poster like to ride? If open spaces, hills, roads, etc. ARE in the equation it is a lot easier to finess a 450 through the occasional tight stuff then to deal with a wheezing 250 on forest roads, jeep trails and mongo hills...particularly for a larger rider where the extra weight of the 450 is much less of an issue...but the lesser power of the 250 is! :thumbsup:

• CharlesFP

Posted April 20, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Ignore all these posts!!! Get an 06 YZ 450. Why? It will have enough power, and the suspension will be firm enough for you right out of the box. I have an 05 WR 450 and the suspension was way too soft in stock form, and I weigh 30 lbs less than you. Keep in mind that all your gear weighs 20 plus pounds, even more with a camel-back with 100 oz of water.
The stock WR suspension was just terrible for me, and I didn't know how bad it was until I found myself riding 20% faster and in more control after I had the suspension re- done. You're heavy enough that you will need a revalve and re-spring no matter which bike you choose, but the YZ will be closer.
Forget the 250. It may seem like a good idea now, but your riding skills will increase very fast, and you will outgrow that bike. The 06 YZ 450's power is supposedly very manageable anyway.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:02 PM

I ride a 2003 Wr 450 on all types of trails and I love it. At very rare times do I ever wish it was a 250. I have brought my body weight down to the 170s and the bike is working better than ever but according to the manual and a recent sag measurement, wearing gear I,m still past the optimum range. You also mentioned using it on roads, if so Id get a 450 just so it wouldnt be scream,n all the time. Good luck!

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Wrong wrong. I rode an 06 WR 250 yesterday with a few free mods done and I can tell you it has more than enough power for eastern single track and feels lighter than previous models. Making any thumper feel lighter is a big bonus.

I rode my missus' 250 all day yesterday testing and fixing, it has easily 30+hp
(vortex ignition, gytr pipe, jetting now more than dialed, free mods, not so free mods.....) and yes it has adequate power, but since when has adequate power been enough? :thumbsup:

I am much faster and less wore out after riding tight technical trails on a WR 250. Anyone who has been riding for any length of time on all sizes off bikes can tell you more power makes handling more clumsy in tight sections.

I have to disagree with you here, I got my suspension professionally sorted, it is anything but clumsy, it out performes the 250 in handling now. My bike feels way lighter now too.

Before the suspension mods, YES!, I couldn't agree more with you. My bike would push, wouldn't hold a line, feel very heavy and slow. It would go where the motor wanted to go, not you. The WR250 was razor sharp in comparison.
My 450 is now razor sharp, the 250 has NO advantage now. The advantage is now being with the 450 able to stay in one gear and either use torque or the hp, as well as steering with the back wheel.

I wish I was 170lb! I was about 170lb when I was 15. Putting around and overheating my bike is not what I call fun! :confused:

Anyway, just having fun with ya! :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Ignore all these posts!!! Get an 06 YZ 450. Why? It will have enough power, and the suspension will be firm enough for you right out of the box. I have an 05 WR 450 and the suspension was way too soft in stock form, and I weigh 30 lbs less than you. Keep in mind that all your gear weighs 20 plus pounds, even more with a camel-back with 100 oz of water.
The stock WR suspension was just terrible for me, and I didn't know how bad it was until I found myself riding 20% faster and in more control after I had the suspension re- done. You're heavy enough that you will need a revalve and re-spring no matter which bike you choose, but the YZ will be closer.
Forget the 250. It may seem like a good idea now, but your riding skills will increase very fast, and you will outgrow that bike. The 06 YZ 450's power is supposedly very manageable anyway.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.