WR450 as Enduro bike??

36 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted April 18, 2006 - 01:41 PM

I would be very tempted to go with the Husky, but you do have to take into consideration parts/dealer availability. I know you can order everything online, but I like the fact that if I need a part asap, I can drive down the road.......we don't even have a Husky dealer in the state!

All 3 are sweet machines and would all do a great job, but I lean towards the Jap bikes just due to ease of parts availability. :thumbsup:

• ready fredy

Posted April 18, 2006 - 03:20 PM

I have owned quite a few Ktm's over the years, and I would have to say that from my experience they are over rated,all of the magazines say that the suspension works perfect right out of the box,WRONG.They have pulled some real boners like the marzoccies which by the way sucked. I had 2 01 520's I didn't like the suspension either. the springs are too soft and the valving is too stiff, and the faster you go the worse they were. I bought a wr 450 and I liked it much more than any Ktm I've owned. The engine is more spunkey which I like some people hate that.the suspension is far better on my Yamaha out of the box than the Ktm still a little soft but works just fine around here where there are alot roots.but that is the sacrifice that you make , if you want to fly stiffen things up but you will suffer in the nasties that the woods have to offer. After you open up the WR with the free mods the bike is not too bad at all. I'm sticken with ol blue for awhile

• Bandit9

Posted April 18, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Nah, not losing any sleep. Not newly married either, I've got a good 10 years out her so far, and really don't plan on screwing that up. It is a good gig. We are just having our first child this year. Things will be a changing!

The parts thing is a push. My Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers NEVER have anything in stock. I always have to order it and wait 3 or 4 days anyway. I watched a guy adjust the valves on his EXC and it was easy. Now, the WR was a little more complicated the first time, but after you do it a few times, no big deal. Not too worried about maintenance, parts, or the costs. Suspension wise, the bike will be revalved and resprung before I even ride it. And as in the case of the WR, getting rid of the 739's. To me, riding stock suspension is like riding the WR without unplugging the motor. The difference is astounding. I plan to ride an 06 version of each one in the near future. I have to say that I am not feeling the Husky vibe as strong as I did. The major hang up is the close ratio tranny. After doing the herky jerk on the MX bikes the last 4 years, I am ready for that less frantic wide ratio tranny of a woods bike.

Keep the replies coming.

• Bandit9

Posted April 18, 2006 - 06:17 PM

OH, and the WR450 that Merriman rides isn't even close to the WR450 that we ride. That dude would probably win on a XR650. (Only if Knight or Juha wasn't there.)

I know that the title of this thread may look silly to some of you, but in reality, I don't know a single person who has ideas about winning at the A or B level in Eastern style enduros, who when given the choice, would even consider using a WR450 for riding them. A 250F yes, but the big WR. A 2 stroke is still the best weapon. But unfortunately for me, there can only be one do it all bike.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 18, 2006 - 09:54 PM

140 views and only 5 replies. Interesting.

Yeah Indy, I assumed you were talking about 04 or 05 TE450's. If you are talking about 06's, then give up the dealer.

Yeah they still have brand new 04's and 05's around the country and they handle very well. The close ratio gearbox is great for tight woods! You dont need to go 60 mph east of the rockies but you can always find the right gear for the conditions. The power is super smooth and delivers very controllably. I am impressed with the recent Husky enduro bikes but I dont know if I would spend $7,000. for it over a new KTM 400 or 450 EXC. :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted April 18, 2006 - 10:00 PM

The local dealers around Vegas, without negotiating, but just feeling them out a bit, are at over $7k for 06 WR 450s. With the 06 Husky TE 510 being street legal for around the same price, I'm tempted!

• tmckeown

Posted April 18, 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hi,

I use mine in Enduro, Motocross, Iceroadracing and Supermoto :thumbsup:

Timo Mc

• solocojo

Posted April 19, 2006 - 05:27 AM

The local dealers around Vegas, without negotiating, but just feeling them out a bit, are at over $7k for 06 WR 450s. With the 06 Husky TE 510 being street legal for around the same price, I'm tempted!

Take a drive to La Yamaha, $6,399.00 otd for an '06 wrf 450. Check them out on the net and get a quote.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:35 AM

I would be very tempted to go with the Husky, but you do have to take into consideration parts/dealer availability. I know you can order everything online, but I like the fact that if I need a part asap, I can drive down the road.......we don't even have a Husky dealer in the state!

All 3 are sweet machines and would all do a great job, but I lean towards the Jap bikes just due to ease of parts availability. :thumbsup:

Huskys are very available here in Australia, as is all other brands of bikes.

I wouldn't even consider an '04 or '05 husky, they are buckets of crap.
The '06 is much more competative in comparison, they have done a lot of work to it.

American's seem to think that Huskies are the best now that they are street legal over there now. All our bikes are street legal over here, so no spank factor and the huskies don't even rate. Over here, KTM is always number one in the shoot outs. Yamaha WR450 never number one but still gets the most sales. Reliability and ease of maintenance counts way more than a shoot out (but Yami always beats Husky!).

I have to order in everything where I live, always a few days wait for anything. There is a reason everyone rides blue bikes here where I live.
:thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:37 AM

Just make sure it is an '06. It is a good bike, with awesome suspension compared to the crappy '05.

• Bandit9

Posted April 30, 2006 - 05:13 PM

I missed something in my research. Contingency Plans. That I do care about. I looked back at my results for the first 5 races of this year and I could have won as much as $500-$600 in contingency money on a Husky. Yamaha's contingency plan pays about the same as Husky, but they only offer it for half the races in the series I ride. Husky offers it for all the races. And low and behold KTM has none. Well, they award the Overall Series Champ and that is it. That definetly won't be me. Anyhow, I guess I could just change out sprockets when I go out west and just deal with the short ratio tranny, so I am looking hard at a 07 TE450 Husky now.

• Bandit9

Posted September 15, 2010 - 01:34 PM

LOL! Reading your old threads is very funny. I thought I was going to be racing a lot after my first child! LOL. I was such an idiot.

Figured I would finish this thread off with my findings on the WR450 since I first started this thread in 2006.

I ended up with an 06 WR450 afterall. It took 4 more years, and first going through an 05 KTM 450EXC and GasGas EC250 along the way, but in Nov 09 I finally bought the WR450 I always wanted. Bought it from a guy in Va. for $3500. It had about 30 hrs on it. I got a plate for it and have been hitting the mountains in Colo and Arkansas exploring. I've ridden it 6 times since I bought it. Only twice in La. I just raced my first Enduro in 3 years on the WR this past Sunday. If I would have entered the Open class instead of the 30+Vet class, I would have been in the hunt. They also threw a check out that I just killed. Pretty pissed about that. I also had two "01's" on my card. Very well could have won in the Open class. In the Vet class, I was up against 15 guys on 250 2-strokes in a tight pine forest with me being the old guy. I finished 8th. It would have been nice to be going against other 450's, but the AMA screwed that up long ago. Anyhow, this is with me being fat and not at all in riding shape, 95 degree heat, and some of the tightest test sections I've seen. So there is still some racing left in me. The bike is jetted clean with a YZF needle and the free mods, but basically completely stock. Still has the AIS kit on it. Pirelli MT-16's front and rear. Same as the day I bought it. Anyhow, the WR450 handled just about as we thought. Motor is awesome. Perfect for me. It handled great in the open stuff, sort of sluggish and slow in the tight. Haven't figured out how to get it to "drop in" really good yet. However, I believe that with some suspension work, basic chassis set-up, testing, and with more seat time in the tight stuff, I think I could probably get a lot quicker in the tight on it and win some races and possibly the Class on what is now a 5 year old stock bike. No over-heating issues. I did get the clutch pretty hot in those tight sections, but no chatter or squealing. A little adjustment and it still was working good, it just got hot. I'm impressed by the 06 WR450. Great all-around bike. Sure, a race dedicated 2 stroke would probably be the better choice for me or the serious racer in Eastern Enduros, but for the rest of us who explore more than we race, the WR450 can do both, plus you can street legal it for those times you just have to ride some public roads on your little adventure trips to the mountains. There are tons of them for sale cheap. 50% of them are already plated. Lots of bang for the buck. Don't need to spend $9k for a good 450 off road/DS bike.

BTW, I really like the horn with DS kit. Really helps a lot in getting the squids on the rows ahead of you out of the way. I was told it is illegal to use in an enduro, but it sure is a hell of lot safer for both me and the squid. I'm going to continue to use it until I get in trouble.

I'm taking the WR over to Cloudcroft, NM for the Mile High Enduro on Oct 3rd. This is one of those races I never got to go do that I was referring to in my original post. If you are going to be there, come say hi. I'll be the ex-Army Cajun type with the stock 06 WR w/a Louisiana tag in a black 08 Tundra drinking a bourbon and coke.

• Superboar

Posted September 21, 2010 - 07:51 AM

Dual sport rides require a state license plate.

You may be able to "kit" a WR450 to make its equipment be street legal, but your state DOT may have other ideas. The WR's original paperwork has "off road use only" on it and some states will not "plate" a motorcycle with that regardless of the modifications.

Your state's DOT may narrow your choices to KTMs and Huskys because most all of the dirt-worthy Japanese bikes have the "off road only" designation, while the European bikes omit that and are easier to plate.

• William1

Posted September 21, 2010 - 08:03 AM

Not entirely true. Depending on the state and what DMV you go to, a bike with a MSO stating "Off Road Use Only" is not even looked at. I plate bikes with regularly, just request a new title and plate and out I go. Pop on the kit, go to the local back country gas station, show the guy the heag light, horn and tail light and get my road sticker. Really that simple. Other states want a DNA sample. All depends on where you live. Here, guys have John Deeres with plates on them and they drive them to school or to shopping.

• Bandit9

Posted September 21, 2010 - 08:22 AM

If you live in one of those commie states, buy the bike already plated from another state. Then register it in your state. That MSO BS is taken out of the equation. That is what I do. Done it twice now. I drove over to Va. to get this WR strictly b/c it was plated. Came back home, got it inspected at the Quickie Lube place, got my insurance, title, bill of sale, then went to DMV. I did have to produce an odometer reading, in which the lady just looked at me and said, "I need a mileage reading?" and I said "ummm.....1800? She said, "thank you". That was it. Paid money left with plate in hand.

Now I don't ride mine around my town at all. Not to work or anything. Only on out of state rides in the moutains, or on the forest roads where we ride. If I were to ride more street stuff like to work/school, then I would add the blinkers and mirror. But that is like suicide where I live. Lots of street bike guys get killed down here for some reason.

• ASternad

Posted September 22, 2010 - 12:18 PM

Nice update / recap:
How would you compare the 05KTM to the 06WR450?

• Bandit9

Posted September 22, 2010 - 05:17 PM

Nice update / recap:
How would you compare the 05KTM to the 06WR450?

Well, the WR450 doesn't leak oil. :ride: Doesn't need a stabilizer. Suspension is way better stock, and I'm gonna go ahead and say it will be better when it's tuned also. My 05 EXC was tuned up pretty good, but the WR450 is just so much more stable everywhere. WR motor I prefer, although the EXC motor was pretty good too. It just lacked the balls down low and the ability to extend gears like the WR can. I do prefer the EXC tranny (6th). I also prefer the valve check procedure and oil change process on the EXC. I also prefer the way everything is plug and play with the KTM electrics, ie, fan, horn, lights. Nice to switch out before hardcore or dual sport stuff. The WR cable clutch pull is lighter. My hydraulic clutch on the Exc was pretty stiff. The clutch overall is much better on the WR. KTM was a squealer once hot. KTM would boil over time to time. No big deal, but the WR hasn't done that to this point. I figured that real tight enduro in 95 degree heat would boil the WR over if it was ever going to happen. It didn't.

Both are heavy/sluggish in the tight technical stuff. Hey, they are 450's, that is what they do.

Now this is my comparison of an 06 WR450 vs 05 KTM Exc. I'm sure that the newer KTM's are better than the 05, so I don't want to hear any crying about how "my 09 KTM clutch pull is light". Great, but it wasn't in 05. Also, I don't want to hear about the leak. I replaced that damn front sprocket/seal crap 4 times in a 6 month period, with "updated" parts each time. Never stopped leaking. Then I heard, "they all do that". Great. That is exactly what I want when I drop big $ on a bike. Leaks. No thanks.

Both are pretty good bikes, I prefer the WR mainly b/c of the motor and stability. I've never carved a 3rd or 4th gear corner like I can on the WR. It makes me faster in the more open stuff for sure, but a little slower in the tight. I don't care, I'm a trail rider these days.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.