FMF PowerCore need suggestions

28 replies to this topic
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:11 PM

Looks I'll be buying a new FMF powercore for my 2004 WR450. What do you guys recomend, the full exhaust from FMF or just the slip on? What works for ya? Also where's the cheapest place to purchase this pipe online? Does it work well on the WR450's?

• clark4131

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I know it's Easter, but the search function hasn't taken a holiday. The Powercore has been discussed about as much as the grey wire, jd jetting kit, and leak jet. No points for laziness :thumbsup:...SC

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:45 PM

ok well what's the best slip on pipe for a 2004 WR450? I'm still running my full stock exhaust and thought just a little more power would be nice.

• clark4131

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Well, what do you want? More power without worrying about noise...that'll piss some people off. Honestly though, I run the Ti Powercore with a Powerbomb, and I really like it. I've also heard good things about the Pro Circuit 496, the Yoshi systems, and Dr. D. Then again, if you can just track down a Yamaha YZ can, you'll be doing much better than a stock WR as well...SC

• Gadsen

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:36 PM

Mike, I run an 04 WR450 also, bought it new. Added the FMF Powercore4 to it, got it from Rocky Mt, they had the best price. Also, get the quiet core insert for your muffler also. Will bring the DB to about 93, otherwise, its around 102 without it. That setup wil sound nice and make some real noticeable HP over the stock setup.

• freestyle250

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:41 PM

Im running the Ti Powercore slip on on my '05 and I love it. I could definitely see a difference in the power, but I am waiting until I get the powerbomb header for it to top it off. I got it at Rocky Mountain for 269.99. That was definitely the best price I could find on it. But if you go with the Ti Powercore, do a search and read about some issues that a couple guys have had with the titanium being so thin on it. It has dented pretty easily I guess. I havent gone down on it yet, so I couldnt tell you from personal experience.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:06 PM

TMT

Do they make a quiet insert for the Power Core? I have never seen one, but want one!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:31 PM

thanks guys for all the info. I was on rocky mountain M/C looking at prices and that FMF powercore there was something about 14" and 16". It's asking to select a size? What's that all about?

• clark4131

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:51 PM

You're looking at the wrong powercore. Rocky Mountain is kind of screwed up. Search for "Power Core", two words. If you do it as a single word, you won't get what you're looking for...SC

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 16, 2006 - 09:52 PM

Oh I see. This pipe looks different than the first one I looked at Part# FM044160 Doesn't so much have a baffle coming out of it like the other one I saw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted April 17, 2006 - 02:27 AM

I did a search but haven't found this direct issue,
Has anyone installed a FMF power or mege bomb header with a stock silencer "06" to be exact.
Are there fittment problems?
Also, betweeen the two headers, if one were to plan on adding a silencer later, which header pipe is the better choice? I read the FMF info but prefer to hear from fellow riders.

Thanks

• clark4131

Posted April 17, 2006 - 06:10 AM

I did my exhaust in stages, can first, then header later, so I know from personal experience that it works with no issues...SC

• Gadsen

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:08 AM

TMT

Do they make a quiet insert for the Power Core? I have never seen one, but want one!

Yes, I bought one for my powercore4. It bolts right in on the end. Takes about 2 minutes to install. I bought mine directly from FMF. It cost around $30 Ended up with 93 DB, after a year of riding, it has went up to 94DB, I assume the packing is ageing.

• OlaGB

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Does the insert take away some of the extra power that you guys REALLY bought the powercore for?

In that case, why not buy the Q2?

• trailordune

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:18 AM

no power loss on mine with the quiet core in. bike really rips with this pipe and core. core is $8.99 @ rocky mouintain! can't beat that with your burnt off back tire.

• Kamik

Posted April 17, 2006 - 11:40 AM

i just bought my Powercore 4 and quiet core insert from the TT store. good price, and it only took like a week to get to my door up here in BC. the pipe really opened up my bike too, totally night and day. i now ride 1 gear higher through most trails, and with 13/50 gearing, 4th and sometimes 5th gear powerwheelies are now possible(with a little body english of course) :thumbsup:
well worth the money IMO

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 17, 2006 - 02:11 PM

well ordered my FMF powercore TI from rocky mountain last night along with the quiet insert. Should be here in a couple of days. I'll report back with my first experiance with this FMF on my WR450. Will be out riding the desert this weekend. Can't wait. Hope it works well.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 20, 2006 - 02:06 AM

got my new FMF PowerCore pipe in the mail today and just got it installed on my WR. Got a couple of questions. First does the OEM clamp, (where the muffler pipe and header pipe connect together) is that supposed to be on with the FMF muffler pipe? I did follow the instructions and used a light bead of high temp silicon. Second, the spark arrestor screen that is in the FMF PowerCore pipe does that alter any performance? Was thinking of taking it out. I'd appreicate any feedback. Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted April 20, 2006 - 02:43 AM

got my new FMF PowerCore pipe in the mail today and just got it installed on my WR. Got a couple of questions. First does the OEM clamp, (where the muffler pipe and header pipe connect together) is that supposed to be on with the FMF muffler pipe? I did follow the instructions and used a light bead of high temp silicon. Second, the spark arrestor screen that is in the FMF PowerCore pipe does that alter any performance? Was thinking of taking it out. I'd appreicate any feedback. Thanks.

The muffler is a slip-on system, implying that no clamp needed. They do this so the pipes can move which helps stop stresses.

I can notice the difference between running a sparky and with out one on my procircuit, but the difference is not minimal. My bike is a tiny bit quieter with it installed too.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 20, 2006 - 03:25 AM

The muffler is a slip-on system, implying that no clamp needed. They do this so the pipes can move which helps stop stresses.

I can notice the difference between running a sparky and with out one on my procircuit, but the difference is not minimal. My bike is a tiny bit quieter with it installed too.

Ok thanks for the info. I was reading the instructions and the instructions said something about making sure all bolts and CLAMPS were tight and the only clamp was the OEM one I removed with the stock pipe. So that kinda confused me. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.