I think I just avoided certain death!

16 replies to this topic
  • One Louder

Posted April 16, 2006 - 11:24 AM

As I was washing my bike yesterday I was polishing the front rim and I noticed it was cracked almost in half :thumbsup: :confused: I've never seen anything like it! what if the wheel broke while I was riding? :thumbsup: Well I ordered a new one from ebay. But I would advise everyone to ckeck their bikes well before every ride.

Does anyone else have any close calls they'd like to share?

• Zique

Posted April 16, 2006 - 12:15 PM

That's bad man. I've had a front wheel come completely off while I was riding a wheelie once...thank goodness it was only on my Huffy.lol.

• NYMXer

Posted April 16, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Can you post a pic of the cracked rim? I've never heard of a rim cracked that bad and I've been riding since '72. :thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted April 16, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I actually just cracked my rear rim... I was very surprised to see that because Ive been riding for 13 year and never had it happen before.

• CRF250dude26

Posted April 16, 2006 - 04:29 PM

My friend cracked the fork tube in half on his crf100

• yz_for_me

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I've heard of them cracking right at the seam where the ends of the rim meet.

• 450_rider

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I cracked my rear rim before, but that was me being stupid and not knowing that iam supposed to tighten my spokes, lesson well learn.

• One Louder

Posted April 16, 2006 - 11:27 PM

I will post a pic as soon as I can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NYMXer

Posted April 17, 2006 - 03:57 AM

I will post a pic as soon as I can.

Cool........I'll print it out and post it in my shop. I have preached to all my customers that when they wash their bike, that's the best time to check it over. After it dries, they should check bolts for tightness. You were lucky to catch your problem before it became a BIG problem. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2006 - 09:29 AM

I've heard of them cracking right at the seam where the ends of the rim meet.

Some older DID rims were not welded at the butt of the two ends. They had a pin at the rim shoulder on each side, and the spokes and the tire itself kept them in place. It isn't uncommon on a well used rim to be able to see this seam open up just enough to make it visible, but by itself, it isn't a problem if it was not welded in the first place.

• One Louder

Posted April 17, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Here is the pic I promised:

http://i75.photobuck.../wheelcrack.jpg

I still cant believe it :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2006 - 09:52 PM

Broken weld. I don't know why it's unbelievable. :thumbsup:

• One Louder

Posted April 17, 2006 - 10:02 PM

only unbelievable because I've never seen anything like this before. But on the other hand the front wheel takes an incredible amount of abuse especially in the Arizona desert. i.e. lots of rocks.... I guess the crazy thing is that i'm glad I found it before it became a big problem.

has anyone hears of a wheel coming totally apart? :thumbsup:

• mxrayser

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:04 AM

My neigbors always ask me why Im always detailing my bikes, cause thats when I find problems, instead of a top speed balls run across the desert! Little problems get alot bigger with MPH

• mxrayser

Posted April 20, 2006 - 12:10 AM

looks like it might been cracked for a few, your a lucky dude, a face plant in the AZ desert would be most unpleasent :thumbsup:

• One Louder

Posted April 20, 2006 - 10:08 PM

looks like it might been cracked for a few, your a lucky dude, a face plant in the AZ desert would be most unpleasent :thumbsup:

that's for sure. I was flying down a tight trail a while ago and I saw where someone crashed into a jumping cactus! :confused: It seems that everything in the desert would love to kill you :thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted April 21, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Where everything bites, sticks or stings!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.