YZ 400 Starting problems.

2 replies to this topic
  • Taos3

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I have a 99 YZ 400 I am having a devil of a time starting. I would go through the "starting procedure" and some times it kicks right off, and other times it takes 30 min to start. I was told the electronics may be going out. Any ideas, or help would be great. I just tore it down to powder coat the frame. I am up for any suggestions on what I should replace/upgrade.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ridesblue

Posted April 16, 2006 - 10:03 AM

have you noticed if there is an significant outside temp difference when it starts or fails to start. i know i need to up my pilot jet when it gets real cold. have you made any mods when the prob began. a year or so ago i put hot cams in mine with the auto decomp and it was a bear to start the first start of the day until thru trial and error i found out it needed a twist or 2 of the throttle before i started it and then it would fire up within 3 kicks. i would also go thru your carb real good clean all the jets and little holes in the carb.

• Taos3

Posted April 16, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I bought the bike with A whitebrothers pips on it. Not sure of the history. I bought it slightly used in 2000. It is time for a carb rebuild Im sure. Just got it off. I think I will start there. As far as temp goes it is always hot when I ride, but when it is a little cooler it does seem to start easier. Thanks for the reply.

Rich

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.