flywheel weight, 06 YZ450F

32 replies to this topic
  • aford541

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:11 PM

This a point I've made several times. Dr.D, GYT-R, and other flywheels that add weight by welding a ring to the outside of the flywheel concentrate the added weight at the most effective place on the flywheel; the outside edge. Bolt-on weights necessarily have a center hub area that's used to bolt it in place, and the weight of that portion of the weight does not contribute as much inertia as the mass placed nearer the outside of the part. That often means that a lighter welded weight is as effective as a heavier bolt-on.

Additionally, welded weight flywheels are balanced after the weight is added, and there are no bolts to loosen up.

I had a heavier flywheel on my 04 that actually de magnatized the magnets then the stator did not stator and it didnt run.

• lastchild

Posted October 06, 2006 - 11:13 AM

I can't find either of these flywheels anywhere...apparently they're on backorder with Yamaha. Anybody know of a place that might stock them?

• motomike1000

Posted October 06, 2006 - 01:12 PM

are they much trouble to install?

• ThompsonV311

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I can't find either of these flywheels anywhere...apparently they're on backorder with Yamaha. Anybody know of a place that might stock them?

Really? I just went in to the dealership and ordered it and it was there within 2 days. I hate to buy from the dealer but that is the only place I know of that sells GYTR. Maybe try Yamaha of troy's website. I see their ad in Transworld says they stock oem parts.

• ThompsonV311

Posted October 06, 2006 - 03:01 PM

are they much trouble to install?

Nope, just drain the oil, remove the side cover. You need the newer flywheel puller, the one from 03-05 will not work. Pop it off, replace with new one , torque to 40 lbs., place new included gasket, then bolt the side cover on. Fill with oil and :devil:

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Why drain the oil? If you run the engine for a couple of minutes before pulling the ignition cover, you'll lose next to nothing.

Then go with the Dr.D. It's an exchange program, but he will let you order one without having yours first. There's a refundable $200 core fee that gets charged when you place the order, but as soon as your stocker gets to him, that charge is reversed. And, like I said, if you ever want to try a different weight, he'll exchange for no more than shipping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lastchild

Posted October 06, 2006 - 05:26 PM

Dr. D's website says they only weights up to 2005 YZ450's. Maybe they haven't updated their site in a while. I will call them on Monday and see.

• lastchild

Posted October 10, 2006 - 03:39 PM

No dice. Dr. D is not making weights for the 06's.
According to the chick that answered the phone, Doug doesn't feel that the 06's need a flywheel weight.
Guess I'll call Steahly.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:44 PM

For MX or fast trail riding, I don't think it does either.

• yzfireguy

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:16 PM

I just put the offroad weight on my 06 and road it down the road and notice a difference. I'm racing in a ISDE this weekend on it so I'll let you know how it worked. Before out where I ride there is a lot of tight wood sections and I was having problems stalling the bike and it felt like I was slipping the clutch way to much. SO hopefully this will help.

• SCIENCE

Posted October 11, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Try Tracey's Yamaha Parts Warehouse 1-800-860-0686. They have great pricing and if usually can get GYT-R items in a couple days.

• paco_06

Posted May 07, 2009 - 07:30 PM

the fww on the 450s is a must have! it actually made my 06 faster! more traction and more control of the power

• LumpyBoy

Posted May 14, 2009 - 06:46 AM

Just FYI that http://www.proracing.co.uk/index.htm carries their own FWs. These guys are super nice and easy to work with (Nick and Bev). You can get the FW in stock weight, 5 oz. over and 10 oz. over.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.