flywheel weight, 06 YZ450F

32 replies to this topic
  • Norman

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:43 AM

For anyone interested, GYTR has thier flywheel weight available, ordered mine last week, should be in this week.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:53 AM

For MX I am not positive that this is a needed mod....not like my 03 :thumbsup:

• Norman

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:34 AM

They offer two, one for mx and one for offroad. :thumbsup:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:53 PM

Which one did you order. If it's the offroad one, please post a report after you install it and test it/ride.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I understand, but why do you feel the bike needs a flywheel weight? I am curious...

• Stevequest2000

Posted April 19, 2006 - 03:43 PM

A flywheel weight is helpful for not stalling if you ride hare scrambles. A few kicks every now and again in a three hour race tends to wear a person out.

• SurvivorMan

Posted April 19, 2006 - 03:45 PM

Do you have the part number for the off road flywheel weight? thank you

• DPW

Posted April 19, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Do you have the part number for the off road flywheel weight? thank you

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

GYTR™ Off-Road Flywheel
This complete flywheel assembly features an increase in inertia mass that smoothes the power delivery. Helps get power to the ground and keep your momentum up through corners and tricky sections, resulting in faster lap times and more race wins. Easy to install, allowing you the opportunity to change flywheels for different types of riding.

Fits '06 YZ450F
Inertia mass is 6.15 kg-cm²
GYT-2S297-50-50 $99.95

• Norman

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:18 PM

I understand, but why do you feel the bike needs a flywheel weight? I am curious...

I ride mainly offroad, harescrambles, enduros etc. I want to be able to lug the bike without clutching as much, also hoping to stop the stalling. I put one on my CRF and noticed a big difference in traction in slick conditions. Even at the track, coming out of a tight turn and hitting a jump, the bike gets better traction, making the jump easier to make. This is my experience with flywheel weights anyway.

• SurvivorMan

Posted April 20, 2006 - 08:00 AM

I really love flywheels for traction in any circumstance. they are hardly noticable unless you are really struggling for traction or if I am crossing loggs or rocks really slow...the usual area where you might stall, the flywheel does not let it stall, it just generally makes the bike more forgiving in technical areas. It does not make the bike slow or groggy or WR like at all...the bike still rips and is snappy, it just fills in where traction is low!

Norman, thanks for the link and part numbers. right now in canada it is not released yet, so i'll have to wait.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stevequest2000

Posted April 24, 2006 - 11:09 PM

Do the GYTR flywheel weights require a different ignition cover? I believe the flywheel is the same from '05 to '06, but SFB and Steahly aren't marketing them yet because there aren't spacers or ignition covers available for the new shape of the '06. If GYTR doesn't require extra room, let us know.

• Sapling Thrasher

Posted April 25, 2006 - 09:06 AM

The 06 flywheel is completely different than prior years. I have had a 6.15kg GYTR for my 06 on order now for 3 weeks and it still is not here!! I hope that they are actually shipping these.

Sap

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 29, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Does anyone know what the added weight is on the 06 GYTR offroad flywheel is. This is the larger of the 2 offered by GYTR, I am just curious how much more weight in ounces it is over stock. My other question, who makes the biggest flywheel weight or full replacement? I want something as big as possible for my 06 yz 450 for those realy technical races! I just finished doing a xc up in BC at Kamloops and that was a slippery rock coarse like no other. I ended up stalling and kicking it over a lot. most of the over heating 2 strokes were passing me on the 2 craziest slippery sections of the coarse. after that race, i am concidering buying a smoker.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2006 - 09:50 AM

None of the GTY-R flywheels require any modification to the ignition cover, but be sure you get the right one. Like the Thrasher pointed out, the '0-'05 flywheel will not fit an '06/'07. The newer ones are "inside-out".

As to the weight, I only know what the added weight was for the early 450's, courtesy of Dr. D. The lighter of the two was about 5 ounces over OEM, and the heavier "off-road" version was about 7.5 ounces heavier than stock. I don't know what assumptions you could safely make based on that, but if you e-mail Dubach Racing Development, they may have the exact numbers.

Don't get confused by the way Yamaha lists them. They list the inertia mass, which, to an engineer, is technically more informative, but it's harder for the rest of us to understand, and certainly makes it difficult to compare with the aftermarket products.

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 29, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I think I will call Steahly and see if they have a 16 oz weight for the stock flywheel. I am just looking for the biggest flywheel/flywheel weight I can put on my yz 450

• ThompsonV311

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:36 PM

Last week I bought the GYTR Off road weight. I got the biggest they offer. It adds 9.2 oz over stock. Rode a hare and hound the next day and all I can say is WOW. Huge difference, this thing pulls like a tractor. It was really nice having it in the rough rocky hills, and those long sandy washes. I definately could tell the difference in traction, and being able to pull higher gears than normal through the rough stuff. Not sure you would need any more than what they offer since they are the ones that designed the motor. Remember also that the position of the weight in relation to the center of the crank added has entirely to do with inertia mass. So SFB may offer a bigger weight, but the position from the center of the crank may be different making it only as effective as the GYTR smaller one. Plus it costs more, and you have to buy a special cover. Stick with the GYTR, you wont be disappointed! Plus you still have the stocker un modified if you don't like it. Also don't count on the removal tool for the older 450's to work. I figured I'd use the one from my 04' but nope! this f/w is inside out.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Remember also that the position of the weight in relation to the center of the crank added has entirely to do with inertia mass. So SFB may offer a bigger weight, but the position from the center of the crank may be different making it only as effective as the GYTR smaller one.

This a point I've made several times. Dr.D, GYT-R, and other flywheels that add weight by welding a ring to the outside of the flywheel concentrate the added weight at the most effective place on the flywheel; the outside edge. Bolt-on weights necessarily have a center hub area that's used to bolt it in place, and the weight of that portion of the weight does not contribute as much inertia as the mass placed nearer the outside of the part. That often means that a lighter welded weight is as effective as a heavier bolt-on.

Additionally, welded weight flywheels are balanced after the weight is added, and there are no bolts to loosen up.

• ThompsonV311

Posted September 29, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Grayracer. You found a way to explain what I was trying to say.

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 30, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, I have the same GYTR weight and love it, but it would be nice to have a larger one for those really nasty races. Thanks Gray, That info helps. The flywheel replacments are nice vs the weights.
I guess my only question is, who has the biggest flywheel out there on there 06 yz 450 and what do you think?

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 02, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Doesn't anyone out there have a huge flywheel on there 06 450? what do you thinkof it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.