Another XR650R Dualsport project!

23 replies to this topic
  • ztsd

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I’ve ditched the Dual Star mirrors. One broke and died on the highway. The mirrors got me by the safety inspection but proved useless on the highways. I’ve ordered a set of stainless steel mirrors and those fancy adaptors to mount mirrors on the clutch and brake clamp backing plates. Will review them and report.

While I particularly like the look of the rear lights, the brake light is angled up too much and does not appear bright from the rear. Additionally, it sits to high for a luggage rack and with the stock stator uses too much current. I have ordered the Baja Designs LED unit that tucks under the fender, which may solve these problems but may not pass inspection next year. I’ll deal with that later.

The Sweet Cheeks are a thumbs up so far. Much more comfortable and they don’t appear to hinder movement on the seat. The 16” width is over twice the width of the stock 7” seat and the extra support is incredible.

The Acewell speedometer is so, so. Seems to work fine, but I’d rather have analog gauges for speed, tach and temperature. I don’t like fiddling with a button to page through multiple screens and diverting my attention from the road/trail when I could get all that info from a glance with analog. Digital is not always better.

The Baja Designs baffle is very quiet and I like that. The tradeoff is power of course. I may go back to the straight HRC tip for a while and see how that goes...

The reflectors are excellent! I highly recommend them. They are easy to apply, cheap and larger than factory reflectors that cost an arm and a leg. They are DOT so the safety inspection is a breeze and nice large reflectors rule at night.

3” Rubber Peg conversion is excellent for dualsporting but make sure you can revert back to steel pegs for muddy dirt riding, the rubber pegs are slippery in mud but oh so smooth on the road.

The Kenda K270 tires are wearing in and feel better every time I ride. They felt squirrelly for the first several hundred miles. 15 psi seems to be good on the road and 8 psi makes them bite off road.

The Protaper Pastrana FMX bend bars with the adaptors seem to be right on! I can stand easily and comfortably but I think the SUB triple clamp will give me a little more height and then they should be perfect.

I also found a bar mount helmet lock and it’s great to have a secure mount for the helmet now rather than carry it around. This is a low cost but very handy gadget, love it!

During the handlebar replacement I installed the windscreen higher and more vertical. This seems to create more buffeting on the highway. I’m getting a new helmet and will hold off making changes until I’ve tried the helmet for a while. I may also experiment with different angels on the windscreen to see the effect before I lower it.

I love having a GPS onboard! I’m thoroughly spoiled and just don’t want to ride without one. I’m using an old eMap from Garmin. It’s small and rugged but lacks autorouting. My Streetpilot has spoiled me and I’ll probably look into upgrading for next year. The eMpa is difficult to operate with gloves on and very unsafe to fool with while riding. I think the Streetpilot would be easier to see and requires much less fiddling to use.

I really need to work on the luggage situation. A backpack is handy, but not appropriate for me because it irritates the pacemaker in my chest. I’ll have to get my cheap luggage mounted soon to make the bike practical as a Dualsport machine.

My XR650R had not been used much for a long time. I find it seems smoother and starts easier every time I ride it. I guess it just needed to be used more...

• adam574

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:27 PM

I also found a bar mount helmet lock and it’s great to have a secure mount for the helmet now rather than carry it around. This is a low cost but very handy gadget, love it!

what is this little gagdet you talk about

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ztsd

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:51 AM

what is this little gagdet you talk about

HERE!

Posted Image

• ztsd

Posted September 20, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.