When will the Effin problems stop?!?!?!?!?!

23 replies to this topic
  • darksun27

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Allright heres the story Bike-2002 YZ 426 F, Bought-July last year (used), aftermarket parts- Yoshi Pipie, Carb Blades, Twin Air filter. It all started a month or two after i bought it. It bent 3, 2nd gear shift forks which cost a preety penny to replace. After that it done allright for a while till back last fall it blew out the Water pump seals. I replaced them and it fixed it for about 2 hours, then it blew them out again. Waited till the beginning of this year after i spent plenty of money on antifreeze and replaced the seals again and it fixed the water leak problem for a while. Well it then started spewing water out of the radiator cap like crazy. All i could figure what happend was it blew a head gasket and was blowing pressure into the water system. so i put0 head gaskets on the parts list and tore down the whole topend, adjusted the valves, raplaced the head and base gaskets and had plans on replacing the cam chain but didnt. well i fired it up this afternoon and it started dripping water out of the water return on front of the cylinder. Well i tried to fix it with some water sealent but failed. Well i went ahead and rode it hopeing it would seal up but didnt. Then I stoped to check my oil and just so happend, my luck the oil is a nice milky white (which means its getting water in the oil) well i flush the whole motor with probably 5 quarts of used clean oil and replace it with 1.5 quarts of Rotella T 15w 40. well, it stays nice and golden for about 15 minitues of riding and once again its a nice milky white :thumbsup: . I cant figure out where the water is coming from; becasue I just replaced all the gaskets and cleaned the contact surfaces VERY cleanly. This bike is starting to make me very mad if yuo fix one thing on it, it sets off a chain reaction to screw other things up. :thumbsup: does anyone have any idea what i can do to fix the problem at hand?

• 642MX

Posted April 15, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Sounds like you may want to bring the machine to a dealership and have it fixed correctly. :thumbsup:

• crazycanuck

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Not sure if it is possible on this bike, but could you have a cracked piston liner/wall.That could be the cause if you have replaced the head gasket already. When you have it apart again check your deck and head with a straight edge to make sure nothing is warped.

• Butta

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:25 AM

Ok, just replacing the water pump shaft seals is not always the entire fix when the seals are leaking. If the water pump shaft is worn (which it probably is) you will eat more seals and leak prematurely....and, quite possibly pass water into the oil. I think it's a sub $25 part (for the shaft). I recommend pulling the ride side cover off again, replace the shaft and seals again and try it.

If you did everything else right, then this will most likely fix your problem.

Why not replace the cam chain?? It's like $12.....

• essex426

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:49 AM

Sorry to butt in, but is that true above.They are £45 over here.I just replaced mine,from a yamaha dealer.

• martybec

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Not sure if this helps, but you may have left out one of the dowel pins that goes around cyl head studs.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Indeed.

When will the Effin problems stop?

Only the Shadow knows.

• PK

Posted April 17, 2006 - 05:22 AM

These bikes are pretty tough and reliable but as they get older, they are only as good as the mechanic working on them. There are steps in the maint manual that may seem mundane such as checking for warpage of the cylinder that get passed over, but ALL the steps need to be followed to avoid problems down the road. You need more than a basic tool set to work on these bikes the right way.

• Butta

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Sorry to butt in, but is that true above.They are £45 over here.I just replaced mine,from a yamaha dealer.

Wow, you guys get raped for those. I just replaced mine from the Yamaha dealer and it was $12....

• darksun27

Posted April 17, 2006 - 07:36 AM

allright guys, got the problem figured out. the o-ring on the bottom half of the cylinder, where the water flows from the water pump through the motor into the water jackets was leaking. I put some Yamabond on it and it fixed it right up, untill the o ring on the front of the motor on the return pipe started leaking. Then i yamabonded it. Now i have no more water leaks :thumbsup: im so happy. And i had a cam chain orderd but wont come in untill today and i was planning on getting the bike ready this weekend

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darksun27

Posted April 18, 2006 - 07:18 AM

well i guess i spoke too soon. this bike has somehow found a way, one again, to leak water out somewhere. and this time it chose to spring a leak in the radiator. ohh yeah btw does anyone have a left side radiator that will fit on a 2002 yz 426

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 18, 2006 - 09:13 AM

Dude your luck just sucks!!! The problems keep flowing......on ......and on.....and on.

• MNellis

Posted April 18, 2006 - 10:12 AM

It sounds like your problem is that you're putting bandaids on the problem instead of fixing them.

If an 'O' ring is leaking the fix isn't to stuff some Yamabond in there. The fix is to replace the 'O' ring or the damage around the 'O' ring. 'O' rings should seal by themselves. Maybe the bolts/nuts are not torqued right or something is warped.

Yamaha doesn't use Yamabond when they build the engines and you shouldn't need to either.

good luck.

• RAMARION

Posted April 18, 2006 - 01:57 PM

after all the work was completed, you said you checked the oil and it was milky white?

Was this from the dip stick or did you drain the oil. I realize you know what milky white oil looks like (most of us do) and I thought I did also.

But, was the oil still milky white after it set in the oil pan for 30 minutes?

If you run the bike and change the oil immediate, the oil will look milky white, but its actually air bubbles............

I did the same thing, when I removed the oil after a quick ride around the block. It came out milky, I thought I had a leak, but 25 minutes later the oil settle to normal consistency (I called an Expert on the situation, that how I found out)

Good luck.

• Butta

Posted April 18, 2006 - 03:18 PM

well i guess i spoke too soon. this bike has somehow found a way, one again, to leak water out somewhere. and this time it chose to spring a leak in the radiator. ohh yeah btw does anyone have a left side radiator that will fit on a 2002 yz 426

If the radiator is leaking, send it to http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/ Very good work, fast turn around, and relatively inexpensive.

• Satch0922

Posted April 18, 2006 - 04:52 PM

It sounds like your problem is that you're putting bandaids on the problem instead of fixing them.

If an 'O' ring is leaking the fix isn't to stuff some Yamabond in there. The fix is to replace the 'O' ring or the damage around the 'O' ring. 'O' rings should seal by themselves. Maybe the bolts/nuts are not torqued right or something is warped.

Yamaha doesn't use Yamabond when they build the engines and you shouldn't need to either.

good luck.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted April 18, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I'd start riding the RMX....

• darksun27

Posted April 19, 2006 - 07:38 AM

well once again the yzf has failed me. the day before yesterday i thought i had the water in the oil problem fixed. i rode it for about an hour and a half without any milky white oil. then i let it set overnight. then yesterday afternoon when i went to start it up and check the oil IT WAS MILKY WHITE AGAIN :confused: :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: im getting realy tierd of this bike and i cant afford a new one. i have been doing really well in my first races placed all first or second places but one (first harescramble and got 5th of 34). i have no idea what im going to do now, i dont have the time or money to have it fixed to save the rest of my race season. and btw yamaha does use yamabond on things when they build them ie: the cases have no gaskets they are required to be yamabonded together also the plug where the ignition wires come out of the flywheel side is required to be yamabonded plus if you order gaskets from yamaha you will notice dried yamabond on them from where they have taken them off the assembly line

• 642MX

Posted April 19, 2006 - 10:56 AM

Yamaha doesn't use Yamabond on any O-rings. They only way to repair a leaky O-ring is to replace it. Now, stop your whining, and go back in the garage and fix it right.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 19, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Yamaha doesn't use Yamabond on any O-rings. They only way to repair a leaky O-ring is to replace it. Now, stop your whining, and go back in the garage and fix it right.

Let me get this straight. You are telling our boy, to FIX IT RIGHT? Is that possible? :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.