Carb

7 replies to this topic
  • Muddin

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:14 PM

When doing :thumbsup: Daves mods :confused: you need to shim the needle, I have no washers so a fellow biker is sending me some. They are .020 should I use one or two washers? I ask this because in most of the threads riders talk about using .025 to .032. and I'm not sure :thumbsup: how touchy the shimming process is. :bonk:

• underwatersimon

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Just did mine last week. You need to be within those two numbers. mine is a brass washer ground down to @ .025. Be careful, it needs to be snug under the top of the needle and shouldn't be any wider than the top. I had help with mine but it was amazingly simple.

• Muddin

Posted April 16, 2006 - 03:55 AM

:thumbsup: So if i double up on the .020 will it be to much? :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted April 16, 2006 - 04:14 AM

Yes,
Two .020 shims will equal .040, approximately .008" thicker than the .032" which is apparently the recommend thickest shim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Muddin

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:00 AM

do you think one .020 will work?

• Motor-N

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:28 AM

do you think one .020 will work?

This info may be helpful: On my dynojet needle (different machine) the difference between notches is .040. The .020 is used as a half step, between notches. .008 is aproaching 25% of one notch. Without a good Dyno run how could anyone tell the difference. Your machine will vary from Dave's due to many factors.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:44 AM

...should I use one or two washers? I ask this because in most of the threads riders talk about using .025 to .032. and I'm not sure :thumbsup:

Go with two or 0.040 if thats what you've got. You won't hurt anything by shimming it a bit more. It's just a general range. Some folks find thier XRL's run better with more height produced by a thicker shim. :thumbsup:

how touchy the shimming process is. :bonk:

Not at all. The only part you need to be concerned with, other than being careful when disassembling the carb, is making sure the O.D. of the shim(s) aren't larger than the O.D. of the jet needle head as already mentioned.

Time to tear into that carb now... :confused:

• Muddin

Posted April 16, 2006 - 10:09 AM

:thumbsup: :confused: Thanks again everyone :bonk: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.