Hour Meter mounting location

29 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted May 24, 2006 - 01:34 PM

I did not have to cut anything on my spark plug wire. That may cause problems down the road. Mine is just wrapped 5-6 times and the excess wire is electrial taped back to itself in a nice little roll. I would make sure that you have a good ground and if it still dosn't work take her back.

• Goosedog

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I would make sure that you have a good ground

I used one of the top engine mount bolts right below the top rail under the tank, that should be sufficient right?

• moochie

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:25 PM

"good ground"

Is there a type that has to be grounded? Mine is from Sears and others I've seen just have one wire that only raps around the spark plug cap.

• beasleys

Posted May 24, 2006 - 04:01 PM

That is exactly what I used and mine seems to be working fine :ride:

• BIKECRAZY

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:32 AM

I'm having the same problem. I bought a Sendec at Sears and wrapped it 5 times around the plug wire, but it is not picking up??? This model does not have a ground though. Could that be the problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moochie

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:30 AM

I'm having the same problem. I bought a Sendec at Sears and wrapped it 5 times around the plug wire, but it is not picking up??? This model does not have a ground though. Could that be the problem?

That is the same one I have. I did the same thing you did and mine works fine.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:46 AM

You have to wrap it around the inner wire under the black cover on just the power wire (colored wire) no ground needed

• Goosedog

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:31 PM

You have to wrap it around the inner wire under the black cover on just the power wire (colored wire) no ground needed

Some have grounds and some don't. I almost bought the Sendec from Sears but opted instead for a B&S model that had a ground and can be reset. I'm gonna try wrapping it under the plugwire sheath like you're saying GA426. Thanks :ride:

• DigilubeJay

Posted May 26, 2006 - 03:43 AM

Most of these units are pre-programmed to flash at the service intervals. The Yamaha model is programmed to flash every two hours of run time...the lawnmower/sears models are usually programmed for flash at 20 hour intervals.

• Butta

Posted May 29, 2006 - 09:14 AM

If you have a plug cap with the coill on the cap, like most new bikes, you must wrap the wire around the coil/cap right where it disappears into the head. It's from the OUTPUT of the coil that you get the spark pulses. The wire to the INPUT of the coil should more or less be a consistent power supply (no surge or pulse, therefore no rpm ro read).

It appears to me this would be your problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.