Hand Guard Opinions

15 replies to this topic
  • Junior426

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hello everyone, I just bought a used yzf246 today and plan on some woods riding in the future. I want a nice set of handguards to protect my hand from thorns and also impacts. I would like a set of plastic guards that are reinforced with metal. Just want to know what everyones favorites are. I would appreciate some pictures if possible. Thanks in advance.

• kid on a 426

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Me and my whole family use emgo for all our bikes. They are very sturdy and protect your levers, grips, perches, and your hands. They are only like 45 bucks out of dennis kirk and are exactly the same as the $70 acerbis ones. We have never broken a set and are a must for all of our bikes. They have paid for them selves 20 times over on my brothers bike.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:33 PM

I have used the Rally Pro's and they are OK but tend to twist on the bars when impacted hard. I have since switched to Cycra pro bend's and like them a lot. They are mounted to the triple clamps instead of the handlebars.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:39 PM

I have the Rally Pros and have been very satisfied, thought the Emgo guards do look just as good. I have seen some broken mounts on the Cycras which gets expensive. Stay away from the Tusks, my wife has them and the mounts are cheesy (she broke them on a TTR125!).

• Gradthyzf

Posted April 15, 2006 - 12:59 AM

I have been using Acerbis Rally Pros for about 3 years now and have never had a problem, or broken levers.

You will find people that have good and bad things to say about every brand. I have never used Cycras, but have heard from quite a few people that they break and seen them broken on peoples bikes.

Main thing is if your going to do a lot of woods riding get a good one with a bar in them.

• kxman

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:39 AM

My favorite is the cycra with the triple clamp mount. They stay put. Had a set of Rally Pro and they moved on impact.

• ridesblue

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:18 PM

i like the msr aluminum deflectors, hold up real good and dont seem to move around on the bars. for the best protection i would def. get some that have atleast some amount of aluminum reinforcement, and it seems that you do get what you pay for. good ones only cost $70 -$100 compared to 40- 60 for the cheap ones.

• beasleys

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Had my Cycra Pro Bends for about a year with a season of racing on them and have had no problems yet. I would highly recommend them. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted April 15, 2006 - 10:14 PM

Cycra probend, bomb proof. Maybe not the best fit, but what do you expect. Very durable, though. :thumbsup:

• Jason21

Posted April 16, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Cycra's man...They cost about a $100 bucks and are very strong. I've crashed at least a dozen times on hard rocky terrain. Other than some expected scratches, they are perfect. I had Acerbis before the Cycra's. The Acerbis worked fine, but the Cycra's have much more clearance between the levers and the guards. Good luck...Jas

• Junior426

Posted April 16, 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone. What do you guys think about the Factory 909 handguards or the D-Flex ones? Thanks for your help.

• David37

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Another vote for Cycra Pro Bend handguards with the triple clamp mount. I've been using them for two years and no problems to report.

• smooty

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:12 PM

my dad's had the 909 on his xr 400 for like 3 years. they have held up great, no cracks or bent metal. work very well :thumbsup:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Tusk D Flex bent on first ride on my wife's TTR125. Spend a few more bucks.

• BlueThunder

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Fastway F.I.T. System.......by far the best mounting system I've used! All the benefits of a triple clamp mount only real mounting hardware that doesn't clog up your bar space. I am an ex-Cycra rider but they had no triple clamp mounts for KTM....pinch bolts are 45° from rear center of clamp so Cycra mounts can't work. :thumbsup:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I run Acerbis guards with Cycra triple clamp mounts. Regardless of what handguards you end up going with, I'd definitely recommend mounting to the triple clamp and not to the bar.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.