leaky fork seals?

5 replies to this topic
  • wr400rider

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:44 PM

I have a 2000 wr400 and one of the front fork seals is startin to leak? is this something that should be fixed right away or can it wait a summer? I was quoted at about $200 to rebuild one.

• minion

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:06 PM

I have a 2000 wr400 and one of the front fork seals is startin to leak? is this something that should be fixed right away or can it wait a summer? I was quoted at about $200 to rebuild one.

Set the way-back machine to the days of standard forks, and it was typically OK to fix it when you wanted to. Today however, inverted forks will continue to leak all of the fluid out, until its gone, due to them being "inverted". Thats not good, in my book.

Its not hard to fix them yourself. It is easier if you have three hands, or a vice though. Even after you buy the special tools needed(recommended) to do the job, the seals, and a case of beer, you'll still have about $140 in your pocket.

A seal driver is very nice to have to do the job, and is really the only tool that is hard to do without. Do a search on here for rebuilding your forks, and you'll see the other tools people recommend. Personally, the only things I bought were the seal driver and a nice syrengine with a set point for making sure the fluid levels were even in both forks. There wasn't a time that I wished I had the other tools while I was doing the job. Those made it cake.

M.

• mjslim

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Get it fixed, don't let it go as the problem will only get worse. Dust and dirt will be attracted to the leaking oil and the seal will get progressively worse, making a big mess. After you get it fixed, try some seal savers to keep them clean

http://www.sealsavers.com

Cheap protection for about $20 or so. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pkcof

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:14 PM

i agree - not only that they need fixing now but also get some good quality 5-weight Motul fork oil whilst you're at it (or 2.5 for some really good flow allowing you a lot more clicker fine tuning). I'm sure that whatever is in the forks at the moment has probably turned to something resembling diff oil.
my 2c ...

• byggd

Posted April 15, 2006 - 05:03 AM

How bad are they leaking? If it's only a little I suggest cleaning them before you replace them. Slide the dust cover down, wrap a piece of 35mm film around the area just below the seal and work it up between the lower area and the seal. Then remove the film, wipe it clean and repeat until no more dirt comes out. Once you get the leak stopped invest in some seal savers.

• dl19

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Try inserting the negative strip end first and "sawing" it in long sweeping strokes as you work around the seal. Race Tech makes a commercial version. Mine are starting to weep already with less then 500 miles. Of course it is over 30 days by two weeks, and the dealer and Yamaha say tough. I know they will leak but get serious. I am going to just get the tools and replace them myself. I have been told numerous times it is easy to do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.